Retirements & Departures 2011

That's most unfortunate, MO, as at 11 he'd still have loads of years ahead of him to do other things. I've just looked over his RP record and he'd had an interesting life, starting off in Ireland and then tackling courses up and down the UK. Good chap, with a 3rd only a couple of weeks ago. Commiserations to all connected.

Just saw that on the RP site. Not at all surprising after his last run, and good to see that connections have done right by him. Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

I was at Ascot a couple of years ago when he was done by Serabad on the line - with the exception of the winner's connections, I think everyone was yelling Lough Derg home and he got a bigger cheer than the winner when he came into the 2nd place spot in the WE.

Really pleased to see Lough Derg retired safely, I was beginning to dread seeing his name on a racecard as he'd been looking so out of love with the game.

Great horse, hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Last edited:
The grey SALLY'S IDEA going very wrong behind before getting to the first hurdle at Uttoxeter today. Bob Cooper later said she'd broken a leg, and was 'put out of her misery'. It was a very unhappy sight to see her trying to move off and fall down again, distressing no doubt for the grounds staff trying to get screens up in good time, who bear the brunt of attending to serious falls.

A good friend of mine looked after Tarablaze, sorry to pass on it's not good news and he had to be put to sleep, yard very cut up, he was a much loved pet in the yard.

Really sorry to hear about Tarablaze - a lovely horse who had a big future.

I see in today's RP that SUNY BAY has been PTS after suffering a compound fracture while out in his paddock. He was one of my favourite horses of that era, so sad news. It must have been an awful shock to his owner to lose him that way but at least SB got to enjoy ten years of retirement.

Suny Bay was one of my favourites too. I think his second to Earth Summit at Aintree was one of my favourite races of his, even though he didn't win. He ran such a gallant race under 12-0 in the soft.

Sad news.

Sorry to hear that SUNY BAY went like that - aged 22, decent enough age, but still sad that he had to be pts.

Just seen the replay re TARABLAZE's rolling fall, which honestly doesn't look that bad, but on Atacanta it's reported that he broke his back, giving the lie to it not looking as bad as some which are survived without injury. He was going so sweetly, too.

Gutted to hear that about Suny Bay. He was one of my favourites, bottomless courage. He really did capture my heart in 1998 & drew me into this sport in a big way.

Glad to hear he had a long retirement. RIP & gallop free old boy.

Shahrastani, dual derby winner and probably better known as the horse that Dancing Brave couldn't catch at Epsom, was been put down on Tuesday.

He was 28 and age had taken it's toll.

Back