Road to the 1000 Guineas

Is Lyric of Light's form that good either?

I always like my guineas bets to have ran at 3 and whilst not jumping off the rooftops to take 10s, Mashoora is solid enough.

White Moonstone was back in training last summer but you'd have to assume she's been sent to the breeding sheds by now.

The Fillies roll of honour is a bit hit and miss. Seems full of fillies that either didn't train on or who needed further than a mile at 3. Sleepytime was most unlucky in Reams of Verse's year though.

On the subject of 2yo group race form in the 1000.

The winner of the 1000 has also won the following races (since 1985)

Cherry Hinton 2
Cheveley Park 4
Fillies Mile 2
Lowther 3
May Hill 1
Moyglare 1
Marcel Boussac 5
Queen Mary 1
Rockfel 4

10 winners (from 27) had not won a group race at 2. 4 winners had won more than 1 group race at 2.

Elusive Kate won the Marcel Boussac & also beat the fancied Mashoora in a Group 3 at Deauville. She would have had good claims in this. Hopefully see her in the French equivalent.

Two horses I think are interesting at juicy prices are the two pearls: Gray Pearl and Lightening Pearl. The former is particularly interesting. Watched the videos of her two runs last season, she's got a really powerful and robust action. I'm not an expert but it looks like the type of action that would run well on soft.

Whereas for example Wading who beat her in the Rockfel Stakes looked to have a much lighter and quicker action, which would have suited her on the better ground that day. Charles Hills seems to have made a bright start to the season: well he bagged the big winner last week with Captain Bertie anyway, (brings back bad memories that race:)).

Gray Pearl is worth a stab E/W at 33/1 IMO. Any ideas what the likely ground will be though peeps? Soft I assume?

Last edited:
Marble, quote from Newmarkets clerk of the course:

Those connections fearing testing conditions for the Guineas meeting at Newmarket this weekend received good news from director of racing and clerk of the course Michael Prosser on Sunday.

He said on Sunday: "We've had two and a half inches of rain since the Friday after the Craven meeting, including 17mm in the last 24 hours, and there's more to come today, but Monday is going to be beautiful and though we could get another 6mm to 8mm of rain into Tuesday morning it's then due to settle down for the rest of the week.

"We will be racing on fresh ground savedspecifically for the Guineas, and knowing how well the Rowley Mile drains and with grass growth so strong we could be back to good to soft by the end of Monday and then, if the forecast is correct, heading towards good ground by Saturday."

It certainly isn't going to be quick so I don't blame them. She was far and away the most impressive trial winner.

Back