Road to the 1000 Guineas

If this rain persists or even if it doesn't dry out as much as expected will her chances be compromised-I would think so and connections could take the view that there is enough at stake without backing her.I wouldn't be in the least surprised if she was available at close to 3/1.
3yo filly ,first time out on softish ground in a big field,factor in the possibility of a bad draw-not the certainty the betting suggests.

The draw could be massive in a big field. Will certainly have an effect on prices before Sunday. I have backed Maybe ante-post but have no real confidence of collecting yet. Both Guineas favourites are almost there by default in that there is no outstanding alternative and that they have done nothing to tarnish their reputations this year. There has been a weight of money for them which has to be a positive but both could very easily be turned over.

Connections of Moonstone Magic evidently of the opinion it won't dry out too much. Supplemented today,

I've got her down as the one to be with now, was hoping for a bit better than 8/1 but I hate backing three year olds which haven't had a run for this race, especially at single figure prices. Her time at Newbury in comparison to the rest of the card, given the conditions was very good and she has plenty going for her concerning the ground and well being.

Lightening Pearl won't run if the ground is "...any worse than good to soft as we don't want her to have a hard race on soft ground on her very first run of the year".

Both Guineas favourites are almost there by default in that there is no outstanding alternative and that they have done nothing to tarnish their reputations this year. There has been a weight of money for them which has to be a positive but both could very easily be turned over.

That's the worst post you're made on the forum since joining. Maybe is the price she is because the alternatives have nothing like the form she has in the book. she's a beast.

How much should one have on Maybe at 6/4?

As much as you want. Discourse was the only alternative and Godawful seem to have fukced her up good and proper. I'm on at 9/4 and have her as the second part of a double. It virtually always pays to side with the better 2yo fillies for this.

As much as you want. Discourse was the only alternative and Godawful seem to have fukced her up good and proper. I'm on at 9/4 and have her as the second part of a double. It virtually always pays to side with the better 2yo fillies for this.

Is it John Gosden who says the 1000 Guineas is the final 2yo race for fillies? If that is to be believed she's an odds on shot.

I have backed Mashoora in the hope might be able to topple Maybe. She was a very easy winner of the Prix Imprudence the same day French Fifteen won the Djebel but she ran 0.1s faster albeit carrying 2lbs less over the same distance. That kind of time comparison can’t be taken at face value but it suggests the filly is very smart and the colts’ race suggested the French males are ahead of the English.

Is it John Gosden who says the 1000 Guineas is the final 2yo race for fillies? If that is to be believed she's an odds on shot.

Whoever said it, it's often true, for the colts as well as the fillies. There are plenty of seasons when the Guineas form has become irrelevant by the time Royal Ascot has passed.

I have backed Mashoora in the hope might be able to topple Maybe. She was a very easy winner of the Prix Imprudence the same day French Fifteen won the Djebel but she ran 0.1s faster albeit carrying 2lbs less over the same distance. That kind of time comparison can’t be taken at face value but it suggests the filly is very smart and the colts’ race suggested the French males are ahead of the English.

Nick Mordin was very sweet on both of them (Mashoora & French Fifteen) as Group 1 performers. He's got one right.

I miss Wading in this field.

At this moment Beauty Parlour is my number one in the fillies ranking.

If Maybe is beaten, which I'm not expecting, it could well be Mashoora who takes advantage of the low draw.

I would have supplemented Sentaril here instead of running at Doncaster
she looks a type for Royal Ascot.

Mrs Haggas says Sentaril won't stay. Expected to go for the Jersey over 7f and then more likely to come back to 6f.

I always think of the Jersey Stakes as a Guineas consolation race.

Last edited:
Back