Road to the 2013 Gold Cup

The way Silviniaco Conti has been minded all season, you'd have to think they fancy the ass off him for this, and his path has been plotted with Kauto-like precision since the start of the season. Can't have it he's a flat track horse either, as his blinding run in the Bula (over a totally inadequate trip) made him more or less the winner - off level weights.
Hard to say how good he is (OH has him 3lbs clear) as he's never had a sufficient test over fences, but I'd doubt we've seen the best of him.
Bobs Worth is the obvious danger, though he lacks the panache of the Nicholl's horse, he's not totally exposed and might be worth a forecast saver.

The way Silviniaco Conti has been minded all season, you'd have to think they fancy the ass off him for this, and his path has been plotted with Kauto-like precision since the start of the season. Can't have it he's a flat track horse either, as his blinding run in the Bula (over a totally inadequate trip) made him more or less the winner - off level weights.
Hard to say how good he is (OH has him 3lbs clear) as he's never had a sufficient test over fences, but I'd doubt we've seen the best of him.
Bobs Worth is the obvious danger, though he lacks the panache of the Nicholl's horse, he's not totally exposed and might be worth a forecast saver.

I don't know about panache but I would prefer two Festival wins and a Hennessy Gold Cup against not a great deal in comparison.

Don't really think a run a two mile hurdle is really that much of a pointer to how well he is going to cope tomorrow.

Obviously, sad news for Russell and a difficult decision for Gigginstown. Choice made more difficult by the mistakes the horse has thrown in this season. Clearly need a jockey who isn't going to panic if he hits one tomorrow. Townend will know the horse but confidence possibly not high having hit the deck on Boston Bob. I initially thought Carberry would be the best bet but unfortunately he is on Monbeg Dude.

Last edited:
I am a little bemused by the sounding off of Mr Mounsey - I note that the rules of racing allow the BHA or the stewards to disapply the rules on late declaration of riders

25.1 Subject to Paragraphs 25.2 to 25.4, no new Rider will be permitted after the time determined under Rule (F)92 for making declarations of Rider.
25.2 Paragraph 25.1 does not apply in any case where
25.2.1 the Authority or Stewards direct that it does not apply

Paragraph 25.3 sets out the usual circumstances in which a rider may be substituted i.e if the declared rider is injured and no doubt Mr Mounsey had in mind that any jockey already with a ride in the race could not substitute on the basis that para 25.3 might apply to Davy Russell's declared rides but not to AP or Carberry's rides but para 25.3 allows a declared rider also to be replaced if in the circumstances it is acceptable and allowing someone off an outsider to ride a horse with a strong chance might surely fall within such a rule ?

Last edited:
McCoy on talk sport yesterday saying the more the ground dried the better for sir des champs. Be interesting to see if jp let's him do it. Can't see it though.

Gold Cup 3.20 (11-10)
Silviniaco Conti 177 ?
Sir Des Champs 175 p
Bobs Worth 172 +p
Long Run 171 + (178+) ((+))
Captain Chris 170
The Giant Bolster 168 ?
Cape Tribulation 165 ? p
Bog Warrior 157 ?
Sunnyhillboy 156
Wayward Prince 154 p
Monbeg Dude 143 +p

If the real Long Run turns up he’ll win. If the same Long Run we’ve seen in the last two years turns up he’s vulnerable. As one challenger after another fell by the wayside, I was coming round to the idea that Bobs Worth might be the answer to this year’s race but Silviniaco Conti looked good last time. However, I still think Sir Des Champs might be the answer. I’ve suspected all season he was the owner’s number one. Rain is forecast to get heavier by mid-afternoon so anything needing softer ground should find conditions turning in their favour.

Last edited:
Clearly the withdrawal of Sunnyhillboy is convenient to say the least. Presumably, there will be an investigation and if things are not above board they will hopefully throw the book (if there is anything in it) at McManus.

Even in confident mode I don't think McCoy would have been the right choice. His previous winners were horses you could throw at a fence. Subtlety has never been something you would readily associate with McCoy and I will be very surprised if he can coax Sir Des Champs to a mistake free round.

Jonjo O'Neill on Cheltenham Gold Cup latest: Sunnyhillboy scoped dirty. :whistle:

Tony McCoy's agent Dave Roberts says he has no knowledge of the jockey being booked for Sir Des Champs. Jonjo O'Neill reports the same.

Eddie O'Leary, brother of Sir Des Champs' owner Michael O'Leary, says no decision has been made on who rides: "Nothing has been confirmed."

Meanwhile Racing UK suggesting McCoy will ride, have to assume there's a lot going on behind the scenes, they may bottle it.

Last edited:
Jonjo O'Neill on Cheltenham Gold Cup latest: Sunnyhillboy scoped dirty. :whistle:

Well with respect they could have pulled him out due to the ground as since his early novice hurdle days when he was beating trees he has little good form on soft. The records of a bad scope could be demanded to be produced .

If Cloudy Copper has also scoped badly that would support the bona fides of it .

Last edited:
BHA on Sunnyhillboy GC withdrawal/McCoy availability for Sir Des Champs: "No concerns at all. He has been self-certed with a bad scope."

I took the 6/1 on offer about SDC earlier (max £25 considerably less than I wanted) but the 6/1 Oscar Whisky did me no good.

I am baffled that they all fancy Long Run on ML- unless the cheekpieces leads to massive improvement I cannot see him better than fourth.

Last edited:
would be fitting after the week Mcmanus has had to see his retained jockey win the Gold Cup on his main-owner rivals horse.

We'll see how fiercesome the rivaly is now I guess.

Last edited:
Daily Telegraph reports that AP rides SDC - may be jumping the gun but he does write a column for them.

I am baffled that they all fancy Long Run on ML- unless the cheekpieces leads to massive improvement I cannot see him better than fourth.

The Denman chase last year took the edge off him imo. He had a harder race than the stable thought he would and being fresher this year will help. I got 10s last week and it's hard to see him out of the places.

Back