Road to the 2013 Gold Cup

My concern about Bobsworth is how much the Hennessy seems to take out of horses [except the star that is Denman of course], although he has been given plenty of time to recover [but that might be a negative with a lack of a run since then]. Still, what do I care, I've backed Wayward Prince [crawls away with to sounds of laughter; blushing furiously].

Whatever the result re SDC it will leave something of a sour taste with all the shenanigans. Hope to God the horse doesn't fall or the anti-McCoy brigade will have a field day. Personally I'd have put Paul Townend on; since no-one bar Davy has ridden the horse in a chase, I'd have gone with the jockey who will at least have seen him working, schooling etc at home.

Ruby's recent woeful record in Festival chases notwithstanding (his last Festival chase win was Kauto's 2009 GC) I'm going with Silvianaco Conti's superior jumping to see him home. Can see Cape Trib running a big race too.

I am baffled that they all fancy Long Run on ML- unless the cheekpieces leads to massive improvement I cannot see him better than fourth.

Can't see him worse than second. The others all have to improve to beat him. Solid each-way value for me at 10/1 and 8/1. I've topped up with 6s also.

Im am all over Sir Des Champs in this. He needs better ground, has been trained for this, and will take a lot of beating. I have him in a 16/1 double with Hurricane Fly and a 27/1 accum with SS, Quevega and himself when he won last time. So very much reliant on him saving the week.

I'm gonna have a decent bet on Silviniaco Conti..big for me like..i'm not a betting monster like you boys and girls.

I think Bobsworth will be main challenge but can see SC being to nippy for him..SDC needs to find something more than we have seen and is not sure to do so. SC has already made LR look slow and can do so again.

don't see the others being good enough but maybe Cape Trib could slip in to a place

Last edited:
really susprising McCoy is riding Sir Des Champs

I dont know why Townnend is not riding in todays card
B. Cooper should have been teh natural replacement of D. Russell

With this ground:

Positive for Long Run's chances
Negative for SDC
Slight positive (perhaps) for Bob's Worth
Neutral for SC

Thoughts?

I'm very interested in Cape Tribulation. Average price now roughly 50/1, got some(tiny) 150/1 Place starts at 40/1 average 7/1.

My four bankers for mulitples this week were Champagne Fever, Lord Windermere, Jetson and Cape Tribulation. The equivalent of 2 place yankees still possible and two 3/4 win yankees.

nb.No After Timing they are all on here.

SC was my only ante post and may as well have been my only bet this week. Im slightly concerned that some of PNs are running perhaps below expectations.

As was said elsewhere, if BW is beaten maybe certain trainers will consider battle hardened rather than cotton wool as the way forward in future, especially with relatively young horses

Last edited:
Henderson should be criticised for his running of horses, but this is the wrong case. He planned to run him in January, but he scoped wrong. So, this would then be his third race, and he'll probably run again.

I agree with your general point though.

SC was my only ante post and may as well have been my only bet this week. Im slightly concerned that some of PNs are running perhaps below expectations.

Probably as many have run above expectations though too - 2nd & 3rd in the Fred Winter, Celestial Halo in the WH and Far West did okay in the Triumph. I wouldn't be too concerned about the stable form.

I really fancy the Henderson duo, with Silviniaco the possible danger.

I'd like to see Long Run given a really possible ride, I think he would be hard to beat if put at it some way out.

Are the bookies pulling a fast one a la the Grand National? The first 4 in the betting have all shortened at the same time..

SDC and Sil Conti too short on this ground.

Captain Chris has a shout. He shouldn't be outpaced here like he was at Kempton and of course Cue Card franked his form the other day. Small win bet.

Back