Road to the 2014 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Stewards busy post race

The Stewards held an enquiry under Rule (B)11.6 into possible interference on the run in. Having heard their evidence and viewed recordings of the race they found that the winner, LORD WINDERMERE (IRE), ridden by Davy Russell, had interfered with ON HIS OWN (IRE), placed second, ridden by D.J. Casey, who in turn interfered with THE GIANT BOLSTER, placed third, ridden by Tom Scudamore, and that the interference had not improved LORD WINDERMERE (IRE)’s placing. They ordered the placings to remain unaltered. The Stewards found Russell in breach of Rule (B)54.1 and guilty of careless riding in that he allowed his horse to drift right handed into the whip. They suspended him for 1 day as follows: Friday 28 March 2014.

They further enquired into the use of the whip by David Casey, the rider of ON HIS OWN (IRE), placed second, from approaching the second last. Having heard his evidence and viewed recordings of the race, they found him in breach of Schedule (B)6 Part 2 in that he had used his whip above the permitted level. The Stewards suspended Casey for 7 days as follows: Friday 28, Saturday 29, Sunday 30 and Monday 31 March, and Tuesday 1, Wednesday 2 and Thursday 3 April 2014. Under Rule (B)54 the Stewards also fined the rider £1300.

They further enquired into the use of the whip by Noel Fehily, the rider of SILVIANACO CONTI (FR), placed fourth, from approaching the second last. Having heard his evidence and viewed recordings of the race, they found him in breach of Schedule (B)6 Part 2 in that he had used his whip above the permitted level. The Stewards suspended Fehily for 2 days as follows:- Friday 28 and Saturday 29 March 2014.

They also considered the apparent improvement in form of the winner, LORD WINDERMERE (IRE) compared with its previous run at Leopardstown on 9 February 2014 where the gelding finished 6th of 7 runners, beaten 26 lengths.. They noted the trainer’s explanation that the stable had been out of form and LORD WINDERMERE (IRE) was unsuited by the slow pace at Leopardstown. They ordered the gelding to be routine tested.

Great scenes at Churchtown today as Lord Windermere was led around the Nijinsky statue in the middle of the village.
For us "Home of NH racing" North Cork fans the road to Gold Cup 2014 begins here.
LW may not be good enough but he sets out with high hopes locally.
Cottage Rake the last GC winner to stand at the crossroads in 1950.
1951 Champion hurdler Hattons Grace set out from Churchtown but was returned to Ballydoyle by Jimmy Gordon,, who was present today. Plus ca change we hope!

Nobody can say I did not give them enough notice !

To bring off a double was nothing less of a miracle

Sc just didn't last home and bw has just past his best as suspected. Li was possibly coming down from a high

Not sure i will be rushing to back any of the principles for next years renewal

Can't agree with this. If SC turns up again next year Nicholls will put something in the race to set a true gallop. He just got there too early off a slow pace and was on the wrong side of the track when the trio challenged. I couldn't believe how many were still on the premises coming down the hill.

As for Bobs Worth I'd say the same is probably true, although good ground was not in his favour despite what connections may say.

Can't agree with this. If SC turns up again next year Nicholls will put something in the race to set a true gallop. He just got there too early off a slow pace and was on the wrong side of the track when the trio challenged. I couldn't believe how many were still on the premises coming down the hill.

As for Bobs Worth I'd say the same is probably true, although good ground was not in his favour despite what connections may say.

Should have said that i wouldnt back the ones that landed in a heap at the end in a hurry

SC is still a class animal and cannot ever be ruled out but i wonder if we have just seen the best of BW now?

It still stands that way too many were in with a shout turning in. I'd love to know how the time compared to the records being set throughout the week.

i don't think you can list stamina doubts in SC's weaknesses.

Stamina for the hill

Quick look back through form and two under performing races were at Chepstow and ascot. Ok not quite the same but undulating and a finishing climb.

I'd love to know how the time compared to the records being set throughout the week.

there weren't any records set earlier in the week..NH races are timed differently now resulting in times being 3+ seconds quicker than the old way

last 2 days were more in line with the official Going..the first two days were Good with a bit of dry in

Strange race. Fancied Conti just from Bob, though my doubt was would Conti get home after the last. If not then Bob glides past. Conti went to win the race and didn't stay. Stunned when Bob failed to go past. Even more stunned by the result.
The winner of next years race will be wearing pink colours.

i think SC is suited better by flat tracks...don't think Bobs Worth really appreciated the ground...seems better when those in front are knackered on slower ground..then he just stays past them

Surely the worst Gold Cup I have seen since Cool Ground's win.

Lord Windermere - no form this year - high class handicapper at best .

On his Own - a Grade 3 horse

The Giant Bolster - placed but well beaten in two previous Cups was probably unluckiest of all

Silviniaco Conti - doesn't stay

Bob"s Worth - appears to have lost his speed - a good ground horse that now struggles unless he can stay on past them like last year and in the Lexus

Last Instalment - sadly leg injury again and retired - reckless to run him on that ground

I bet the Tizzards will be drowning their sorrows tonight - if Cue Card had stayed he would have hacked up .

Last edited:
Our good friend Nick Mordin napped winner last week at 40/1 and has long been convinced that there was a Grade 1 in On His Own.....he was been called a crackhead on Twitter....

Did Cool Ground beat The Fellow?

Maybe the worst winner since, and the one least likely to follow up. Think he got a magnificent ride. I think the winner is being disrespected. The horse that surprised me most in the race was Lyreen Legend. Would be interested if he went for Aintree. And rather than Cue Card, I think First Lieutenant lost his Gold Cup by not eating up this morning.

Lord Windermere was well beaten in the Hennessy and the Lexus - it is the proximity of On His Own and The Giant Bolster that suggests it was a crap GC rather than a highly questionable improvement in form

Lord Windermere was well beaten in the Hennessy and the Lexus - it is the proximity of On His Own and The Giant Bolster that suggests it was a crap GC rather than a highly questionable improvement in form

Hennessy winner and the Lexus winner were behind today. Culloty had his first winner since August in Spring Heeled. The Giant Bolster came into today race in better form than when chasing up Bobs Worth, Long Run, Synchronised in the last two years. On His Own beat the King George third last time out and was clearly in top form, being supplemented for the race. Had those three not bothered turning up and SC beat BW by 3l, it would be classed as a good gold cup. A rematch of what could have happened last year. Hennessey winner well beaten.

Dont think SC was legless after the last either. Kept on well. Beaten 1l, increasing the distance on BW and Lyreen Legend from the last.

Last edited:
I imagine Mouse Morris had very little say in this.

Does Mullins train any Gigginstown owned horses? Can't see O'Leary and Mullins getting on too well!

Back