Road To The 2014 Derby

i thought it workmanlike rather than spine tingling
way he cruised to the front impressive. maybe got to the front too soon or struggle a bit in the last furlong due to stamina.

think he'll be some horse at 10f

Guyon said the ground was at it's softest in the last furlong or so which probably explains him not pulling away from Kingston Hill.

Agree with EC that it wasn't spine tingling but the first two are obviously high class and the 2000G form has been franked again. Makes a change to have four or five good 3yos.

The first two were still pulling away from the third and the third was pulling away from the fourth yet the winner wasn't given too hard a time of it.

Utterly top class form but not sure the winner will have hit as high a rating as Galileo or one or two other top winners.

The only disappointment was that Orchestra was well off his Chester form. Ebanoran and Fascinating Rock looked to have run close to the Derristown race. I need to see where Geoffrey Chaucer ran in relation to them.

just watched it again...3 to 2 out was impressive move..he just floated through to the leaders

I was tempted to mention that too and mention it in the same sentence as Sea Bird in his Derby but I don't want to get too carried away :lol:

Clearly something amiss with GC almost pulled up from 3 out .

Manner of victory more impressive than winning distance and he quickened up well too having travelled so well - no Nijinsky like surge but did the job and probably idled rather than tired close home . Kingston Hill ran a great race in second and may well be better suited by the Curragh as did the inexperienced Romsdal who looks nailed on for the Leger.

Buick had another Epsom nightmare but his horse nowhere near good enough on the day .

What a Guineas this is turning out to have been.

Last edited:
just watched it again...3 to 2 out was impressive move..he just floated through to the leaders

Thought he was going to win 10l at that stage, though it needs saying that ultimately he may prove better over shorter than today's trip.

He's entered over 10f and 8f. It was the 8f entry that made me question him in the Derby even with his pedigree.

Watched them down at the start. No much to add but Kingston hill is some animal. Beautiful to look at. The mares will be wanting some of that at stud. Really think he will be something in the autumn if the ground is typically eased

Australia is so relaxed too.

Great race. It always looks good when 2 or 3 pull comfortably clear. This is shaping up to be a very nice season indeed

A few years ago soem were going on about the derby being too long and too staying and so on. many were banging on about milers being the way forward. Fair play to coolmore. I might be talking bollocks but They target the race like no other and that seems to be me to have really boosted middle distance.

Last edited:
I think it was a quality race won by the best horse (who looked a lot better physically than Guineas day!). I was prepared to crab him but can't in any way. Second is a lovely horse as well. Looking forward to the remainder of the season.

A near perfect result.
Thank God the rain stayed away.
When did a 2000 Gns last produce 4 Classic winners and a Derby runner up ?
The 3 year old crop is very very good thankfully.
Australia floated around the course just like his parents did in their day.
My late father would have been delighted!
One thing for sure; APOB will not under any circumstance run Australia in any condition that might adversely affect the horse's reputation.
The success of Sea The Stars and Mastercraftsman as sires so far shows again just how good the 3yos of 2009 were; Fame And Glory could be an absolute steal at 5000 Euro or so.

P.S. Oisin Murphy acquitted himself very well finishing fifth on the outsider; he can be very proud of his first Derby ride.

Last edited:
Utterly top class form but not sure the winner will have hit as high a rating as Galileo or one or two other top winners.

Though the ratings won't reflect it, my view is that Australia's substantially better than those he beat yesterday, and had the race been over a furlong or so less, he'd have won turning handsprings.
Aidan's cried wolf many times in the past, but this one could turn out a real Canis lupus, imho.

the sectionals suggest that at this moment in time he could end up being best AOB has had.......i wouldn't rate yesterday as high as Workforce's win..but was just better than Lammtara's.....either way its late 120's

his overall time figure on my calcs was 126

The success of Sea The Stars and Mastercraftsman as sires so far shows again just how good the 3yos of 2009 were; Fame And Glory could be an absolute steal at 5000 Euro or so.

Some of us have been suggesting this for a while now! ;)

It was pointed out to me this afternoon that O'Brien said after the Guineas that Australia idled once he hit the front and it would have been interesting if Night Of Thunder had joined him earlier.

It may be that Australia was dossing in front yesterday.

I rather suspect if he'd won the Guineas we'd be getting geared up for another attempt at the Triple Crown and there wouldn't be any talk of taking him back to 10f.

the winner is a proper 12 furlong horse. He's beaten another good 12 furlong horse in second and a fine St Leger Prospect in third. Of these three Australia is the likeliest to shine at 10 furlongs but is best at 12.

It might be blancmange but APOB is reported to have been thinking of running Australia in St James Palace had he failed to stay at Epsom.
The 2000 Gns is considered unsatisfactory given the field split in two groups vis a vis the first three home as to which is the best.
The Sussex Stakes at Goodwood would be the ideal show down between all three plus whatever older horse that might show up.
Such a decision would take cajones on the part of all concerned I know but racing would definitely be the winner.
Dream on I suppose.

Back