Road To The 2014 QM Champion Chase

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
Hidden Cyclone is tripless and short if class. How anyone can be a fan is beyond me. Decent ground at Cheltenham will see SDG struggle. I don't like his form.

Hidden Cyclone form is that of a GD2. horse so he's not short of ability to be within a length of others in his Class.
To be beaten by SDG in that manner was not a disgrace as HC was clear of those behind him.
SDG up there with Cue Card @2 1/2 M and Bobsworth 3M +. His action doesn't scream soft ground dependent to me.
Sprinter Sacre to win the Q.M. Chase by 5L ridden out.

Hidden Cyclone form is that of a GD2. horse so he's not short of ability to be within a length of others in his Class.
To be beaten by SDG in that manner was not a disgrace as HC was clear of those behind him.
SDG up there with Cue Card @2 1/2 M and Bobsworth 3M +. His action doesn't scream soft ground dependent to me.
Sprinter Sacre to win the Q.M. Chase by 5L ridden out.

SDG is a country-mile behind Cue Card and Bobs Worth on from - it isn't even close.

Last edited:
Based on reasoned analysis at his optimum conditions. He was pushed out to beat HC so easily .Add another 5L to winning margin and calculate. Promising/Proven/Progressive.
SDG is within 1L of BW and CC ability.

When Kid Cassidy beat Sire De Grugy at Cheltenham first time out, I thought Jamie had gotten into a race far to early on with Special Tiara and made a few sketchy almost chancy jumps, Jamie never glanced back to see if there were any dangers and he just assumed he had the race won and went for home to early. Aside from the 10Lb he was conceding, who’s to say Kid Cassidy isn’t pounds better first time out. Whatever the reason Jamie has learned a lot more about Sire De Grugy since, as he demonstrated yesterday when he didn’t panic at any stage and showed enormous confidence.
Sprinter Sacre pulls like a train, he’s not totally devoid of one or two mistakes himself and his preparation has hardly been perfect. The collateral form doesn’t leave Sire De Grugy with that much to find either, and besides some of Sprinter Sacre’s form figures have been measured and achieved against horses that haven’t showed their best form over two miles.
I don't buy into any conspiracy regarding Sprinter Sacre at Kempton over Christmas, but I do buy into the fact that he wasn't fully fit and that Mr Henderson was far from confident of his victory and the sentiment he showed in the statement pre-race was born out. The subsequent form showed by Sire De Grugy only strengthens my belief that Sprinter Sacre was pulled up to save face because he was beaten at the time. I also believe that nothing short of a fully fit and on his game Sprinter Sacre will beat Sire De Grugy at Cheltenham in the Queen Mother Champion chase.

“One great use of thought is to share it, because sometimes it can make you think, you don't know what to think"

Last edited:
Sire de Grugy's win last spring over Finian's at Sandown was on good ground and it didn't seem to inconveinence him. If Sprinter Sacre isn't right at Cheltenham he is the most likely to capitalise.

All you clowns can throw your comments around now but the sewer rats knew this race was rife for an e/w bet months ago

Most of of you couldn't spell punting.

Agreed but Twinlight wasn't an option in the market at the time - I'm very happy with the 70.0, 65.0 & 8.2place. Ignore his last run he's an out-n-out 2m chaser and was never going to see out 2m5f.

Ignore his last run he's an out-n-out 2m chaser and was never going to see out 2m5f.

I totally agree and he was still travelling powerfully until he clouted the fence that virtually done for him. previous form in Ireland working out quite well too.

I think it's a fair enough shout.

He has a couple of wins at the track (one over fences), and whilst he's very exposed, he'd be the type to outrun his price on the day. The Champion Chase could turn out to be quite a tactical affair, with Geraghty and Moore not wanting to get there too early, with the others not wanting to commit too soon (in the hope that Sacre and/or SDG don't fire on the day), and a cagey race could bring the outers into play, should fhat happen.

It's not often I agree with Segal (I'm sure he's worried :D) but credit where it's due; it's a good spot, in my opinion, and one I would probably have walked past, if he hadn't put him up. I might follow him in.

Last edited:
Not bad in theory but there is a chance he won't run,his form isn't good enough and he might be better suited to big fields.

The place part of the bet is the main attraction.I was contemplating having a few quid on him last week but I just don't think he is good enough.

Back