Road To The 2014 QM Champion Chase

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
As good as the Champion Hurdle is this Festival is badly missing Sprinter Sacre, Simonsig and Cue Card.

The Annie Power/Big Buck's and King's Palace/Briar Hill match ups are saving the last couple of days right now. I'd be a trifle underwhelmed if I was going tomorrow.

The next three days are **** poor in my opinion. The watering down of races has finally peaked. Thursday is a host of impossible handicaps and poor Grade One races.

World hurdle is saved as the mare could be special.

Too many good novices split in the longer races.

I think the RSA will end up being a good renewal.

Today is **** hot, supreme could be a cracker

Today's card including the first handicap is really good. I also like having the 4miler today. Today is a seriously good card.

i hope the week isn't an anti climax after today..this is a seriously big day even for the festival

Granger is right that the mare says the festival. It's too front loaded. The Gold Cup is garbage.

Last edited:
I was dead against SDG pre festival, and now i think 3/1 is bet. This race stinks to the high heavens. Strong contender for the worst Champion Chase of all time. He is clearly the best horse in the race and the 3/1 (perhaps bigger?) factors in the risks re the track

The next three days are **** poor in my opinion. The watering down of races has finally peaked. Thursday is a host of impossible handicaps and poor Grade One races.

Exactly. If i have a little luck tomorrow, I will go away for a few days and forget about Thursday and Friday.

The watering down can be seen in Quevega being feted despite in 6 festivals never having to beat a decent horse. Is this a good thing?

I think the Ryanair is being unfairly maligned a little bit this season.

Yes the Gold Cup would look better with Al Ferof and Dynaste in it but like I mentioned earlier a lot of the lack of strength in some of these races can be put down to injuries. Put Simonsig in the Ryanair and it becomes a decent event.

over dramatic condemnation of thurs-fri

the world hurdle is interesting, benefficient and al ferof are two good horses best suited to conditions of ryanair, and the gold cup is still the bloody gold cup lads....briar hill v kings palace....the grand annual/county hurdle always interesting races to watch

yes, could do without the fred winter and the martin pipe race and take general points on saturation but i think its hyper critical, there's still some brilliant racing. faugheen could blow us away tomorrow, you have a competitive RSA...and there's always a chance of something special cropping up in the bumper

don't get carried away

The more I look the more I think Wishfull Thinking has a big each way shout.

Obviously loves the course. Apart from the couple of occasions he's fallen, he's run very respectably there at Festival time. In addition, his runs in the Paddy Power were under big weights and he was far from disgraced.

Can't see him winning, but if I was there, I'd be putting a bit on e/w. Instead, stuck at home!!!

Captain Conan for me. Though difficult to have strong confidence in this race.
On decent ground I think Baily Green should be going for the Ryanair. Still, Mouse knows what he's doing.

Hope the old boy Sizing runs well.

I'm after substances:

Why is Sire De Grugy not 13/8?

He's a ******* morale. The rest are hounds.

Captain Conan is shite. Avrika was air lifted to saftey half way round in the Arkle, Sizing Europe is a walking corpse, Baily Green was an out of the box thinking bad e/w projects that's idiots are now taking seriously. Kid Cassidy is AT LEAST 10lbs wrong and the as for the rest...

Other shite horses on request.

Last edited:
I'm after substances:

Captain Conan is shite. Avrika was air lifted to saftey half way round in the Arkle, Sizing Europe is a walking corpse, Baily Green was an out of the box thinking bad e/w projects that's idiots are now taking seriously. Kid Cassidy is AT LEAST 10lbs wrong and the as for the rest...

I'm trying to talk myself out of backing him. Hard season? Ground quicker than ideal? track?

I'm trying to talk myself out of backing him. Hard season? Ground quicker than ideal? track?

Does either negative make him 10/3 or 7/2 against dirt? I'd max bet him at 5/2 on the basis there isn't a good horse in the race, he is one.

Last edited:
He has run well with ground with good in it.

Good price. His price probably reflects that no one can take a strong opinion with any of the rest of them and the feeling that the horse is not sprinter Sacre

He has run well with ground with good in it.

Good price. His price probably reflects that no one can take a strong opinion with any of the rest of them and the feeling that the horse is not sprinter Sacre

If I was a layer I'd want the rest. You'd easily lay him at 9/4. Completely too much juice in these markets, you can't take on a slightly questionable horse with nothing. The opposition is so poor. If this was around Sandown he'd be 7/4 at best. He really has nothing to beat.

Last edited:
I'm after substances:

agree with all this but do worry a bit about the course form and a bit about his best form coming on soft.

think we could be in for a total shock like the arkle but hoping SdG wins. he's the best horse in the race easily for me.

I've loved Sizing Europe since he won the Greatwood all those years ago.

I wasn't convinced they should have kept him in training as a 12yo, but his trainer Henry De Bromhead knows him inside-out and if ever there was a case for backing a horse blindly out of sentimentality it is today.

Coming on Sizing, show them one last time!

Back