Road to the 2022 Cheltenham Gold Cup

RP yesterday said he was preparing to take on Galopin Des Champs in the 3m old RSA.....as would be expected.

I see Ruby reckons Al Boum Photo can emulate Kauto Star and win back his crown.

Hardly surprising considering the low standard of chasers likely to compete but @ 10/1 he simply doesn't appeal

Some think PN should run Bravemansgame but if any novice should run IMO it should be Galopin Des Champs IMO

He looks experienced beyond his years but I doubt if WPM would consider running him while ABP can put one leg in front of the other.

For me Galvin is the improving horse and most likely winner at this time with Protektorat the most likely outsider.

I can't for the life of me understand why A Plus Tard who has failed to get home in his last two races is favourite.

Minella Indo will run a good race again but his chances of a repeat must be very unlikely as he lacks the class IMO

Chantry House had his chance and couldn't live with the big boys he'll find the Gold Cup much toughers and Nicky should find another race for him.

Colin Tizzard gives Lostintranslation an EW chance. He must think it's a worse Gold Cup than I do.

Asterion Forlonge is the most likely outsider. I thought Kempton looked a but too sharp for him and if he does run I wouldn't put anyone having an EW bet on him.

overall I will be very surprised if any this years runners bar 1 or perhaps 2 will even run in the 2023 Gold Cup

I see Ruby reckons Al Boum Photo can emulate Kauto Star and win back his crown.

Hardly surprising considering the low standard of chasers likely to compete but @ 10/1 he simply doesn't appeal

Some think PN should run Bravemansgame but if any novice should run IMO it should be Galopin Des Champs IMO

He looks experienced beyond his years but I doubt if WPM would consider running him while ABP can put one leg in front of the other.

For me Galvin is the improving horse and most likely winner at this time with Protektorat the most likely outsider.

I can't for the life of me understand why A Plus Tard who has failed to get home in his last two races is favourite.

Minella Indo will run a good race again but his chances of a repeat must be very unlikely as he lacks the class IMO

Chantry House had his chance and couldn't live with the big boys he'll find the Gold Cup much toughers and Nicky should find another race for him.

Colin Tizzard gives Lostintranslation an EW chance. He must think it's a worse Gold Cup than I do.

Asterion Forlonge is the most likely outsider. I thought Kempton looked a but too sharp for him and if he does run I wouldn't put anyone having an EW bet on him.

overall I will be very surprised if any this years runners bar 1 or perhaps 2 will even run in the 2023 Gold Cup

Disagree with you saying APT "failed to get home" last year. Still right to be fav imo

Asterion Forlonge will jump himself into the helicopter park, Fist - I couldn’t have him.

Liveliest of the outers at twice AF’s price is Fiddler, imo……but in truth, I’ll be amazed if the winner isn’t one of the front four in the market.

Last edited:
I think most people would disagree with me but that doesn't change the fact he's been beaten twice recently by horses who got home better than he did.

That would certainly bother me if I was backing him.

I think most people would disagree with me but that doesn't change the fact he's been beaten twice recently by horses who got home better than he did.

That would certainly bother me if I was backing him.

I don’t disagree. I expected him to pull away from Kemboy after the last in the Savills but he didn’t. At the time I thought Rachael had figured Galvin was beaten when he dropped back and APT could have reacted better but viewing the race again I don’t think he could.

SP Life says he stayed on well in the GC but I’m not so sure and think he was comfortably outstayed that day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three have gone predominantly blue this evening at oddschecker. I presume at least one of them has been put up by Tom Segal.

Minella Indo (into 8s tops)
Protektorat (12/1)
Chantry House (18/1 tops, 16s and 14s generally)

Three have gone predominantly blue this evening at oddschecker. I presume at least one of them has been put up by Tom Segal.

Minella Indo (into 8s tops)
Protektorat (12/1)
Chantry House (18/1 tops, 16s and 14s generally)

Is there a Gold Cup Pricewise in the Racing Post in the morning? Sometimes the books have a look at the race the day before and clip a few that look too big.

Yes there is and he tips Protektorat but not the other two.

Notable mention for Tornado Flyer too.

Last edited:
Yes there is and he tips Protektorat but not the other two.

Notable mention for Tornado Flyer too.

Protektorat will get hammered closer to the day an all. Will go off single figures.

Couldn’t win a Paddy Power Gold Cup off 154 and theres people tipping him for the Gold Cup.

I just wonder if that race in which Protektorat looked so impressive was just a load of kiech in which nothing else ran its race.

Maybe a wee bit like the race that Vieux Lion Rouge won at Aintree which fvcked its mark for life, likewise Blaklion a few years back (and probably again this season).

(Not that they were ever CGC horses but you get my drift.)

A fortnight without discussion on the Gold Cup less than two months shy of the race?

Anyway, I've been trying to get a handle on yesterday's Peter Marsh won by Royale Pagaille off 163. I reckon he'll go up 4lbs for it which will make him the highest rated of the home defence. I was hoping he'd be more impressive, if I were to be brutally honest, but maybe the ground wasn't soft enough and maybe it won't be soft enough in March either but he's at least heading in the right direction and is young enough to improve again.

I'm off to google 'rain dances'...

Surprised to see Angel’s Breath with a Gold Cup entry. Not seen a racetrack since December 2019.

At the moment I’d be inclined to side with Asterion Forlonge but you can’t guarantee he’ll stay on his feet so 16/1 ante-post doesn’t temper enthusiasm. See where DO is coming from with Royale Pagaille as he was 7 last year and seemed to hit more fences in the race than he got over and still finished 6th so could well outrun his odds if the ground comes up very soft. I do think Galvin is the one to be on though out of him and Protektorat. Plenty of course form and stays all day. If he goes 5/1 or bigger on the day he’s a cracking each way bet in my opinion.

A chance for Chantry House to show his true form again this Saturday in the Cotswold Chase then...

Be a miraculous training effort to turn his form around were he to win given his poor showing in the King George.

Last edited:
A chance for Chantry House to show his true form again this Saturday in the Cotswold Chase then...

Be a miraculous training effort to turn his form around were he to win given his poor showing in the King George.

Or a sign that British 3m chasers are not wonderfully brilliant

In a more serious comment, the Kempton run was so bad you can write it off completly.

Back