Road To The Champion Bumper

That's what I meant. Last chance for an Irish 5yo bumper horse are Fairyhouse today and Thurles tomorrow, unless your horse is a mare (Saturday at Navan).

Thats its so - unless he's to have a sex change before Sunday!!:ninja: As I have said previously most of the time the info out of that yard is brutal! Do they even know themselves - WP generally arrives to the track after most of his have run FFS!:rolleyes:

From a conversation I had today, I don't think either of the Gigginstown horses are going.

Divine Rhapsody is going and he beat Double Double and Dylan Ross in the Land Rover bumper last year. I think both of them are now dual bumper winners. My idea of a dark horse. I think an Irish winner of the event has not had a run since November so that leaves the likes of Raise THe Beat, Divine Rhapsody, Allure of Illusion etc. I'm not gone on the English runners.

I liked how that horse quickened up today, Vesper ....I remember Cousin Vinny coming from behind with a late run to win his bumper and it was encouraging, early signs that you can trust him in a battle. That said, have no handle on collateral bumper form, but would be interested in Vespers future path..

Might get an angle on the horse today Bobbyjo with Mount Benbulben running at Thurles (was unlucky when one place behind yesterdays runner-up Aupcharlie LTO).

Martin

Just watching the bumper at Fairyhouse yesterday, not with a view to the champion bumper, trying to spot some future winners; I have to say that some of the jockeyship was agricultural to say the least, in fact that probably is an insult to agricultalists?!, Mr. Reis's ride was particularly ugly.

Did you hear any mention of another Mullins horse Allure Of Illusion, introduced near the head of the betting this weekend? Hasn't run since winning a Killarney bumper last August, and holds no entries at present, But Mullins is reported in the Mirror as saying he might let him take his chance at Cheltenham.

I was told today that this is "the one". Second hand, but direct from WPMs mouth. Believe it or not.

Just watched Raise the Beat's last bumper win again (a long time ago in October) and was struck with how easily he did it - never once off it - looks like the predicted decent ground will suit too - missed all the fancy prices but 16/1 will do for me - he has a great chance in a very open year and I would love to see him do it for the boys!!

When are the entries out for this? Same goes for the Mares' Hurdle.

Last edited:
The entries for the bumper closed yesterday. According to the irishracing.com site they should be published today.

Thanks Grey. Other than that the Mares' Hurdle is the only one left. It's getting exciting now.

As for the Bumper, I like Ebanour, and was impressed with his win first time out where he ran very green and he'll come on a lot for that. By all accounts John Oxx thought he was very talented and I'd be willing to take a chance with him at a nice price.

As some of us suspected, no Samain, no Lovethehigherlaw, and no Waaheb

Cheltenham Festival 2011: Full list of entries for Weatherbys Champion Bumper

By Dave Metcalf

(First Published: Wednesday 2nd March 2011 at 12:16hrs GMT)

A full list of 59 entries revealed today for the Weatherbys Champion Bumper to be run at the Cheltenham Festival on March 16.
Race details:
THE WEATHERBYS CHAMPION BUMPER
Grade 1, Class 1, Standard Open National Hunt Flat Race, 5.15pm, Wednesday, March 16, 2011, total prize fund £55,000, two miles and half a furlong, for four, five and six-year-olds
only which have not run under any recognised Rules of Racing, except National Hunt Flat races, Irish National Hunt Flat races or French AQPS races. Horses are not to have run in more
than four National Hunt Flat races and, before March, 2011, must have been placed first, second, third or fourth in such a race. Weights: 4-y-o: 10st 12lb, 5-y-o and 6-y-o: 11st 5lb, fillies
and mares allowance 7lb. Entries closed March 1, entries revealed March 2 (59 entries), six-day confirmation stage March 10, final declaration stage 10.00am Tuesday, March 15. Form
figures correct up to and including the racing of Monday, February 28, 2011.

Form Horse Age Owner Trainer
1 AFRICAN BROADWAY (IRE) 5 Adrian Frost David Pipe
03 ALL FOR CASH 6 Kim Bailey Kim Bailey
1 ALLURE OF ILLUSION (IRE) 5 Jackie Mullins Willie Mullins IRE
(3)11 ANYCHANCEDAVE (IRE) 4 DavidManasseh, Titus Bramble, Lee Cattermole Alan Swinbank
232 AUPCHARLIE (IRE) 5 Gerard Boyle Pat.Collins IRE
3 AWAYWITHTHEGREYS (IRE) 4 W Bryan Peter Bowen
3 BOSTON BOB (IRE) 6 M Donovan Derek Barry IRE
641 BROADBACKBOB (IRE) 6 Stuart Crawford Stuart Crawford IRE
12 BYGONES IN BRID (IRE) 5 Harry Redknapp Alan King
42 BYGONES SOVEREIGN (IRE) 5 Alan Lamont Karen McLintock
521 CEOL RUA (IRE) 6 Fiona McStay Willie Mullins IRE
21 CHELTENIAN (FR) 5 Roger Brookhouse Philip Hobbs
1(1)2 CINDERS AND ASHES 4 Racing Squirrels 2011 Donald McCain
21 CLOSE HOUSE 4 Roger Brookhouse David Pipe
15 COUSIN KHEE 4 Mr & Mrs Rory Sweet Hughie Morrison
2 CRYSTAL SWING 4 Mrs S J Harvey Richard Phillips
121 DARK GLACIER (IRE) 6 Trevor Hemmings Chris Grant
11 DESTROYER DEPLOYED 5 The Craftsmen Tim Vaughan
1- DIVINE RHAPSODY (IRE) 5 R J Walshe Philip Rothwell IRE
12-1 DOUBLE DOUBLE (FR) 5 Paul McMahon Charles O'Brien IRE
1-2 DYNAMIC APPROACH (IRE) 5 Eddie Hales Eddie Hales IRE
1 EBANOUR (IRE) 4 Tim Leslie Donald McCain
211 ERICHT (IRE) 5 Bridget Hanbury Nicky Henderson
21 FELIX YONGER (IRE) 5 Andrea & Graham Wylie Howard Johnson
1 FINGAL BAY (IRE) 5 Carol Skan Philip Hobbs
2- GO ALL THE WAY (IRE) 6 Ann & Alan Potts Nigel Twiston-Davies
3 GRABTHEGLORY (IRE) 5 Stanley Cohen Gary Moore
1 HIT THE HEADLINES (IRE) 5 Michael Buckley Nicky Henderson
13 KAWA (FR) 5 P Armour Robin Dickin
1(1)1 KEYS (IRE) 4 Seasons Holidays Roger Charlton
11 KNIGHT PASS (IRE) 5 Malcolm Denmark Warren Greatrex
31 KNOCKALONGI 5 The St Joseph Partnership Oliver Sherwood
1 LORD GALE (IRE) 5 Lucy Birley Willie Mullins IRE
1 MAKE A TRACK (IRE) 5 George Ward David Arbuthnot
2-1 MASTER MURPHY (IRE) 6 Jane Walton Jane Walton
25 MAYTIDE (IRE) 5 P McMahon/T Singleton/Mrs Donnelly James Leavy IRE
2 MONTBAZON (FR) 4 David Sewell Alan King
41 MOUNT BENBULBEN (IRE) 6 Pearse Callaghan Gillian Callaghan IRE
2 NOBLE PERK 6 Adrian Wintle Adrian Wintle
1 OSCAR MAGIC (IRE) 4 Lorna Berryman Nigel Twiston-Davies
13 PERSIAN SNOW (IRE) 5 D R Peppiatt Philip Hobbs
0-11 RAISE THE BEAT 6 Winning Ways Enigma Syndicate Colm Murphy IRE
(2)1 RICHIE ROB 5 C E Whiteley Neville Bycroft
1-52 ROCKS RULE (IRE) 6 Adrian Butler Alan Swinbank
1211 SAINT LUKE (IRE) 6 Saith O Ni & Ednyfed & Elizabeth Morgan Peter Bowen
2 SERTAO (FR) 5 West Coast Haulage Limited Tim Vaughan
(1) SOLAISE (IRE) 6 Balios Racing Liam Corcoran
251 STAR NEUVILLE (FR) 5 Barry Connell John Hanlon IRE
21 TARN HOWS (IRE) 5 P And Mrs G A Clarke Jennie Candlish
(0)11 THE TRACEY SHUFFLE 5 Jo Tracey David Pipe
41 TOOSTRONG (FR) 4 Gigginstown House Stud Willie Mullins IRE
1 TRIPTICO (FR) 5 Mrs Ronald O'Leary Ronnie O'Leary IRE
21 TUSA EIRE (IRE) 5 Monread Stud Willie Mullins IRE
1 TWENTYFOURCARAT (IRE) 6 Jenny & Mark Pitman Gold Club No.1 Ian Williams
5-1 TWIGLINE (FR) 4 Hammer & Trowel Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE
1 VESPER BELL (IRE) 5 C C R Racing Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE
64 WAY TO FINISH 5 Alan Macleod Jimmy Moffatt
301 WHAT A WARRIOR (IRE) 4 Mr & Mrs Gordon Pink Nigel Twiston-Davies
0(2) WILLOW THE ROSE 4 T H Bambridge John Jenkins
59 Entries
18 Irish-trained

At preview night tonight Mullins said his runners would be Lord Gale, Tusa Eire (wants soft) an Allure of Illusion and that Ceol Rua might run but if not she would win the Aintree mares bumper.

Robbie McNamara told one of the RTB owners at Castlebar preview night that RTB would not beat Dynamic Approach again, that the latter is a machine and that he was lame that day in Naas. Having talked to someone else this evening, he was supposed to have done a sparkling piece of work in Leopardstown on Sunday.

Robbie McNamara told one of the RTB owners at Castlebar preview night that RTB would not beat Dynamic Approach again, that the latter is a machine and that he was lame that day in Naas. Having talked to someone else this evening, he was supposed to have done a sparkling piece of work in Leopardstown on Sunday.

Hales always reckons he has machines - he's a selling merchant - RTB went by him as if he was stopped at Naas - even if Dynamic Approach grew a fifth leg he would find it difficult to reverse the form!!:whistle:

Last edited:
At preview night tonight Mullins said his runners would be Lord Gale, Tusa Eire (wants soft) an Allure of Illusion and that Ceol Rua might run but if not she would win the Aintree mares bumper.

Dynamic Approach is available for a few quid at 55's on Betfair..16-1 to place - pennies available. Hammer time:blink::blink:

Last edited:
Back