Road to the Champion Chase 2011

Tataniano is facing an uphill battle to get to the Champion Chase. Apparently he was lame three weeks ago.

French Opera:
He was good in the Game Spirit at Newbury the other day, he was good all last year and the handicapper has forced our hand. As much as I'd love to have him in the Grand Annual I think he has to go Champion Chase. I'm not saying he's going to win it, he has some way to go before he reaches Master Minded, Big Zeb and Sizing Europe, but he's not that far behind and he looked very good at Newbury.

I can't remember a Festival where all four Championship races were such mouth wateringly competitive affairs. It's going to be an awesome week.

Last edited:
I can't remember a Festival where all four Championship races were such mouth wateringly competitive affairs. It's going to be an awesome week.

Oh go on... we say it every year.;) It'll be a hell of a week for sure, just like the year before and the year before that... I'm getting quite excited as well.

i might have to question the strength of the GC though Steve if it turns out that TB can place in it :)

TB’s run to around 170 a handful of times, which include his latest couple of starts. I could believe he’s set to run the race of his life in this, which would be up to the standard of being placed in plenty of Gold Cups (and winning some). If the horse that came third ran into the 170s it could be a great Gold Cup. I’d expect perhaps Kempes to do something similar to Tidal (i.e. run to about 170+). The three (or four if you include Kauto) clear of these would be Denman, Imperial Commander and Long Run. If two of the three say ran to about 180, I could see Tidal putting up something like a 174 behind them.

We're getting our threads crossed though... we should be talking Woolcombe and co on this one.

Last edited:
SteveM, if Tidal Bay finishes within 6L of the winner it will massively hold down the form and mean none of the principals have run to anything like 180.

Maybe all these posts should be moved but there is no doubt in my mind Tidal Bay ran to much, if anything, above 160 last time out. Neptune Collonges is a long way behind what he used to be, which for me was 'only' 172/173 anyway.

SteveM, if Tidal Bay finishes within 6L of the winner it will massively hold down the form and mean none of the principals have run to anything like 180.

You've got somethign crossed if you think TB will run to 174 over fences!!!

Because he's not quite done it before doesn't mean it couldn't happen. He's run into the 170s in his last two outings. Paradoxically I think this race will bring the best out in him rather than the worst.

This won't be true if he runs to his best, or a little better (as I'm expecting). There are only four or five (if you count Kauto) that are capable of running better. It would only take one or two not to turn up or have an off day to see him bang in the frame.

Has he banjo! :lol:

Or so I'm told by our friends at the Post. But whatever figure you want to call it 170, 4,300 or 6, what I'm saying is that with only a little improvement on this he would certainly be thereabouts with the four or five who have proved they are better than him to date.

No way Hose A. You could possibly crowbar a 170 rating out of his Haydock run, but the Argento race was a shambles.

He's recorded RPRs 171 and 172 in his last two outings. On that scale I can see that a 174 is possible. On the same scale, for example, Denman and IC are about 10-12lb better.

I think it is a poor edition and I dont discard asurprise

Master Minded regressing and looks a shadow of the champion he was,
Big Zeb is the most likely winner but age not on his side.
Woolcombe Folly doesnt look a bad horse but not running in the Game Spirit is a negative.
Sommersby not fast enough
Golden Silver very busy campaign

Back