Road to the Champion Chase 2011

If the ground is riding quick today, it wont suit Master Minded as much as it would with a bit of give in the ground.

If the going is quick, i would be tempted to back either Sizing Europe or Big Zeb in the Queen Mother.

Woolcombe Folly on good ground will be very interesting in a Group 1 race.

It is a wide open race. I have never backed Sizing Europe, but 2 miles is his trip, he ran a great race in the Arkle last year and if the ground is on the quick side, he must go very close.

Can see Big Zeb being backed before the off and Master Minded easing in the market if the ground is quick, will have to see how the races before the Queen Mother, seem to be.

Henry de Bromhead came across well on the Morning Line.

I think the 2 Henderson horses have excellent place chances on this ground.

I can't make up my mind is the 4/1 on Master Minded a gift from the Gods or best left alone.

I am not sure will Big Zeb be placed. I would fancy 3/4 horses in the line up to beat Forpady be more than 3 lengths.

I have had a re-think and am coming round to SE finishing in front of Big Zeb. I think we are looking at either Master Minded, or a relative shock.

I am completely against MM.
HdB is exactly like that in real life -you could stop him on a racecourse and he would chat away-very relaxed.

I am expecting a good run from Sizing Europe and am happy to have Big Zeb on my side. Of the home challenge I do fear Somersby the most, it may have been preferable to step up in trip but he may still be capable of a good performance at this distance, he is a good horse. Mad Max may run a place at a good price.

I just hope Captain Cee Bee gets round. If he does i think he has very solid place claims. Not sure if he's good enough to win, but quite confident he can place.

Like Bensalem yesterday, love this horse and hope he can silence the doubters today.

I have a decent bet on Master Minded. Can't believe the price. Also little bets on Captain Cee Bee, French Opera and Mad Max. Place laid Big Zeb for a small amount at 9/10. This is definitely not fast ground.

A leap of faith and some blind loyalty but have gone in on Sizing

Thats the spirit. I'll be happy for anything that wins but I really want Sizing Europe to show himself to be the steamboat I've always thought he was.

Last edited:
Big Zeb is 10, hardly an ideal age for a Champion Chaser unless you're of Moscow Flyer calibre and won a crap renewal last year.

I'm also on Master Minded and ew on Sizing Europe.

If they go like the clappers up front, they could set this race up for Golden Silver's tactics. He's a play in the place market. This is difficult, though. Ground uncertainty has thrown it wide open.

Back