Road to the Champion Chase 2011

Crikey. Imagine if they'd campaigned Sizing over 2 miles throughout the year...all credit to Andrew Lynch as well.

Superb ride but what pace did they go ? What was the pipe horse doing so close for so long and Somersby was able to lay up easily .

Cracking horse and thankfully Mr Potts was persuaded to send him back to 2 miles

An Irish rout today !!!

Campaigned better, he would have been a 3/1 shot today. Howsever they had him ready on the day and he powered up the hill.

I'd love to see him over the Sandown fences next season

I havent had a drink in 7 weeks (because I don't really enjoy it any more).To unwind tonight I think I will reread this thread.

Have re-read the entire thread. Entertaining stuff. I look forward to next seasons debate on how much better moscow was to MM

Hamm my old sparring partner, how do you view Sizing now?

Last edited:
Have re-read the entire thread. Entertaining stuff. I look forward to next seasons debate on how much better moscow was to MM

Hamm my old sparring partner, how do you view Sizing now?

Well, I was very much wrong on him, and he was a monster yesterday. Very very impressive. Fair dues to you and Luke for keeping the faith, and am genuinely happy for you both. I enjoy the debate, and am more than happy to be wrong, especially when it is as a result of something like what we saw yesterday.

I thought about it last night, and still think the Arkle contained a lot of horses who didn't run up to their subsequent form. However, the difference in my thinking now is the same can be said of Sizing Europe. For example, I thought that the mistake Mad Max made that day cost him more than the distance he was beaten by (you have heard this before). However, after yesterday you would have to come to the conclusion sizing had a huge amount up his sleeve and was much better than the bare form.

De Bromhead has certainly gone up a lot in my mind (belatedly some may say). Spoke well before and after, and I judge a trainer by how much you can rely on him getting a horse in peak condition for the days that matter most - he can hardly be faulted, after last year and this.

I think we all criticised the campaign he received, but I think the interviews yesterday made it explicitly clear (it was relatively clear beforehand) who was responsible for stepping him up in trip. The owner came across as a complete clown, and someone who would be hard to deal with. You get the feeling De Bromhead has had to do a lot of work perusading him to allow the horse to go back over 2m. I could see the owner being difficult in the future when there are no cheltenham horses in the yard (which will happen at some stage).

Hope to see Sizing Europe at Sandown in December.

Back