Road to the Champion Hurdle 2023

I'm also firmly in the Constitution Hill camp. For those of us that keep such things, he's put up performances that are off the charts and stand up to scrutiny in any era.

I don't see him going novice chasing next season, he's not a big horse and may lack scope for chasing at the top level, and more likely if he stays sound he'll become a multiple Champion Hurdle winner.

If you haven't seen the picture below, he looks like a pony next to Jonbon.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...n-hill-v-jonbon-in-the-sky-bet-supreme/198629

IMaybe I am crazy but I'm already thinking QMCC for Constitution Hill next year Then the King George and the Gold Cup. 23/24

Nicky won't waste anytime sending him chasing and bypassing the Arkle IMVHO

IMaybe I am crazy but I'm already thinking QMCC for Constitution Hill next year Then the King George and the Gold Cup. 23/24

Nicky won't waste anytime sending him chasing and bypassing the Arkle IMVHO

Possible, I suppose, where chasers and Cheltenham are the be alls and end alls, which seems to be the case nowadays.

He never hesitated to send Sprinter Sacre or Altior chasing and either of them could have won Champion Hurdles.

Constitution Hill is a completely differerent kettle of fish. He is so relaxed he will stay 3 miles standing on his head
and is so relaxed with still produce that electrifying burst of speed not seen since Arkle won the Gallacher Gold Cup.

He jumps with pinpoint accuracy and precision that chasing would not present a problem

Nicky has always said novice for novices but Constitution Hill is mature beyond his years and Nicky would have to be mad not to bypass the Arkle which to me would be a total waste of time and no more than a walk in the park for him.

If Jonbon wins the Arkle this year Constitution Hill could go Ryanair but either way I reckon Nicky will send him chasing.

Getting back to the race at hand....if Constitution Hill did not exist what would the betting be now for the Champion Hurdle?

Stateman 4/5

Vaubon 3/1

Honeysuckle 4/1

According to Bet365.

In my book it would be

Honeysuckle 7/4

Stateman 4/1

Vauban 7/1

Honeysuckle is 14 from 15 a dual Champion Hurdle winner agains 2 horses who have never as much as sniffed at a Champion Hurdle winner.

If HDB doesn't go Champion Hurdle he should be struck of for cruelty to racing lovers

Last edited:
HDB has been reading my mail again:lol: Looks like he has come to his senses and the prize money and said it's Champion Hurdle or nothing.

Bookies rected by cutting Honeysuckle by a 1/2 point without Constitution Hill

If she does run and win impressively at the DRF that 4/1 she was is going to look very good.

Now it's Nicky Henderson who has the problem if she does go to for the Champion Hurdle what does he do with Epatante.

If Stateman and Vauban run Epetatnte might be had pushed to be placed this year........The Mares is looking more and more likely and that 6/1 is long gone.

As I mentioned in the past a few times Nicky said at the start of the season that Maries Rock might be stepped up in trip and go for the stayers.

She has been slashed from 16/1 to 7/1 by Hills who are probable nearer the mark than those still offereing 10/1.

It was 459/1 the CH, Mares and Stayers all to end up at Seven Barrows and that is looking more and more possible:)

Last edited:
Altior would have won one but Sprinter would never have won one his hurdles form wasn't that good tbh

THAT IS BLASPHEMY :p

Sprinter was a huge undeveloped big baby when he ran in the Supreme and wasn't even top of the pecking list. Spirit Son ridden by Barry was.

I suggest you go watch the race. He is cantering all over them 2 out and it looks like there's only going to be one winner until immaturity caught up with him and he weakened in the closing stages.

He still managed 3rd just ahead of Cue Card

Sprinter Sacre 2012 as we now know was a totally different proposition

He, having given time, in a common canter reversed the places with both Al Ferof and Cue Card in the Arkle and then some.

Had he stayed over hurdles he would have faced Rock on Ruby in the Champion Hurdle picked him up and blew him out in bubbles. :lol:

We are talking about the best horse to grace the turf since Arkle here not some average grade 1 winner.

THAT IS BLASPHEMY :p

Sprinter was a huge undeveloped big baby when he ran in the Supreme and wasn't even top of the pecking list. Spirit Son ridden by Barry was.

I suggest you go watch the race.

I was there and i backed him:D

Sprinter was never a hurdler

Fly and Faugheen would have beaten him comfortably

Then you should read more. Nicky said at the time he thought that his best chance was Spirit Son and Sprinter was still immature and would be amuch better horse next year......he got that right:lol:

As for the Fly and Faugheen..........Sprinter is the highest rated 2 mile chaser in 40 years neither of them even come close to be being anywhere near the best hurdlers...

Tanlic, please create a different thread called 'False Equivalence Boll*cks' for this type of discussion. ;)

Henderson 'forgot' to enter Epatante in the Mares this morning.

Gonzalez-Byas on the cornflakes again. :lol:

Hendo now saying he’ll pay to supplement her as it was his mistake [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back