Road to the Champion Hurdle 2023

Have we found out why An is so keen on State Man yet.

Where's the logic, An?

You had a dream?

Constitution Hill's winning distance?: 7 Lengths

Do we have any advance on 7 lengths?

17 lengths in front of Honeysuckle...

One or two may finish in front of her but he's good to spank her for 17L's

Last edited:
That would be something if he can beat her that far.

If Honeysuckle goes for the Irish Champion Hurdle I really can't see State Man beating her.

His win over First Street, a horse Nicky wouldn't entertain running in the Champion Hurdle. is miles short fo what is required.

Sure he's won 3 decent races since but each time he's been the yards number 1 and Paul Townend choice.

How much winning they took is anyone's guess as they are all second season hurdlers whereas Honeysuckle has, bar once , beaten everything put in front of her.

She's also taken on and beaten horses that were 110% fit and that's a bit of an unknown with State Man beating only stable companions,
Time will tell but 2/1 Honeysuckle looks a great price to take down the young pretender.

When/who was the last horse to win the Champion Hurdle go for the Arkle the following year?

Yet to happen Maxbet.
One Champion hurdle winner has won the Cotswold Chase , predecessor to Arkle Chase; Sir Ken in 1956.
Champion hurdler 1952-54 he finished fourth in 1955 before his chase career.
He also fell in 1957 Gold Cup when going well apparently.

If Constitution Hill was running in my back garden I would shut the curtains.

State Man will win the Champion Hurdle.

I don't think you realise what you are up against.

When Make A Stand won the Champion Hurdle on good ground he broke the track record and clocked 3m 48.40s

Constitution racing on Good to Soft ground knocked 4.05 seconds of that time clocking 3m 44.35src

That is the equivelant of 16 lengths so unless they switch State Man with Pegasus he wins nothing.

Last edited:
I don't think you realize what you are up against.

When Make A Stand won the Champion Hurdle on good ground he broke the track record and clocked 3m 48.40s

Constitution racing on Good to Soft ground knocked 4.05 seconds of that time clocking 3m 44.35src

That is the equivalent of 16 lengths so unless they switch State Man with Pegasus he wins nothing.

In 2014 Jezki earned the record for fastest time by winning in 3 minutes and 45.25 on Good to soft ground.

In 2016 Annie Power set a new record time of 3 minutes and 45.10 seconds on Good to soft ground.

Both those performances were against the same horse, My Tent Or Yours, so you can afford some tangible reliability to the results. The element of soft in the ground description surely allows for the extra fraction of a second that makes up the equivalent of Constitution Hill's time. The main difference is, the ease with which CH did it!

What's that coming over Cleeve hill
Is it a monster? Is it a monster?

In 2014 Jezki earned the record for fastest time by winning in 3 minutes and 45.25 on Good to soft ground.

In 2016 Annie Power set a new record time of 3 minutes and 45.10 seconds on Good to soft ground.

Both those performances were against the same horse, My Tent Or Yours, so you can afford some tangible reliability to the results. The element of soft in the ground description surely allows for the extra fraction of a second that makes up the equivalent of Constitution Hill's time. The main difference is, the ease with which CH did it!

Is this Good to soft or Simon Claisse Good to soft?:D

I was there when Jezki won, was a sunny warmish day, they may have described it as G to S on the morning but had deffo dried out to at least good by 3.30 pm

As Truncheon touches on it there's a lot more to it than that. When both Jezki and Annie's Powe clocked their times every hurdle race's time on those days were run Fast none were run slow which makes the ground very much on the good side of good to soft.

Apart from the fact Constitution was a novice V seasoned campaigners who never came out of 3rd gear every other hurdle race was run slow while he was miles faster.

The going stick backs that up as the others were measures at 7. and 6.9 Constitution Hill was run on a 6.00 measurement which is not Good to Soft it is Soft.
at least according to the description issued by the clerk of the course when Espoir D'Allen won in 3min 49 sec with a going stick also 6.0

When Hurridane Fly won the ground was describes as Good to Soft with a going stick of 6.0 he took 3m 59.35s (slow by 10.35s) when winning. Exactly the same going according to both parties against Constitution Hill's 3m 44.35s
Thats 15 seconds @ 4 lengths a second which is simply an amazing 60 lengths.

Taken into consideration all this makes a tremendous difference and everything points to Constitution Hill being a minimum of 10 to 15 lengths faster than any Champion Hurdle winner in living memory.

Last edited:
I don't think you realise what you are up against.

That is the equivelant of 16 lengths so unless they switch State Man with Pegasus he wins nothing.

Excellent use of the clock to prove your point -the old course at Cheltenham versus the new course at Cheltenham 25 years apart.Why has nobody thought of this before.

Back