Road to the Champion Hurdle 2023

Just to add Granger, you always been a good guy to me, sorry for any upset I caused way back when, I know I f**ked up. I regret it a lot. I just want to talk racing now, its what I am best at, well, used to be, and I know you guys just want that too.

Happy new year to you, stay safe, keep posting and we all learn from our mistakes.

I never get how you NH guys come to these conclusions re hurdles and chasers, but am eager to learn. I will ask a serious question, why were HF and Istabraq not chasers but Constition Hill is a chaser in future? Is it how they hurdle? I have seen many novice hurdlers who jump too high for hurdles, a simplistic tell I assume?, they probably lose ground with the height. Is that a clue? I certainly know what you mean if that is the case. HF was a low jumper, his head hardly lifted when he hurdled. Make A Stand was the other hurdler who I would say is the best over a hurdle I ever saw, he just lifted his legs, head never hardly went up. Do you think there are natural hurdlers and natural jumpers from when they are at the hurdling stage of their careers?

I am thinking along the lines of 110 metre hurdlers at the olympics, the natural hurdlers heads hardly move up, it is all in the leg.

What did you think of Make A Stand as a hurdler? he may never have been the best ever on ratings but I really took to him and the way he led all the way and hardly ever made a mistake, he also had that low style of passing over hurdles. The best hurdlers always seem to just lift their legs, it isn't even a jump they do.

I might have answered my own question here.

Breeding would be number one

Flat pedigrees v a point to point horse

The gross size of a horse too. I have seen galileos jump fences well which would surprise you.

Isty and the fly were your perfect hurdling types, plenty of class, brave and hurdled in a way they attacked the top bar, chasers jump big and often clean but slow

Last edited:
The 70s are rightly considered the golden era for hurdling, with some top class multiple winners - the Gold Cup winners made no obvious appeal. The Grand National definitely put chasing on the map, and took centre stage in the 70s. But very unusually, a Gold Cup winner did go on to win a GN in the 70s.

Stateman could be the best bet without Constitution Hill but I'm pretty sure Honeysuckle runs he'll have his work cut out to beat her.

However when it comes to Constitution Hill if anyone thinks any of them will even trouble him
they should immediatelty start sharing the mushroom tea they are drinking so we can all agree with him/her

I could see Vauban reversing the placings with State Man - given the extent to which Willie has played him down, he's run well. Missing obstacles wouldn't have helped him either, as he's definitely more natural over them than State Man.

In a normal renewal, those two v Honeysuckle would be something to really relish, but I can't imagine they'll get near Constitution Hill.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

After Granger sent me that tea they all look like Champions to me.:lol:

To be any sort of threat Staeman would have to have won that race by a lot further and without coming off the bridle

I haven't studied Vauban enough to pass judgement on whether he could reverse those placing but if your right that doesn't convince me either would he a danger.

One thing that was very noticable is Sharjah wanted no part in a fight and was cocking his head and saying no thank you.

Last edited:
i think the irish trials are stronger than what Con Hill has beaten in his 2 starts this season but it's very likely not going to matter one bit, furthermore the Supreme win is probably going to be the number one piece of form going into it.

Vauban comes out of today with lots of positives

State Man looked to have plenty of condition today and what we see in Feb and March will be more race ready

All roads to the DRF, Nicky you know what to do

i think the irish trials are stronger than what Con Hill has beaten in his 2 starts this season but it's very likely not going to matter one bit, furthermore the Supreme win is probably going to be the number one piece of form going into it.

You could be proved right but there's no getting away from the fact Epatante ran Honeysuckle to 3 Lengths in the Champion Hurdle 22.then hacked up in the Aintree hurdle and quite possibly was over the top in the Mares at Punchestown.

Her defeats by Constitution Hill didn't deter Nicky from saying she could still finish 2nd in the Champion Hurdle...obviously thinking Honeysuckle might not run when he said it.

The media unable to help themselves "State Man is now Constitution's chief threat"

They will say anything to sell racing to you.

I reckon Nicky will be more worried that his horse box gets stuck in traffic and he doesn't get to the races in time, than he is about Statesman:whistle:

Last edited:
Not sure about that, just on ratings. His latest thrashing of Epatante puts him in the 180's easing down.

Your reference to Epatante only corroborates my view. If you think that Epatante has run faster this season than in the Champion hurdle then you are right. In The Champion, Epatante ran flat out to the line and crossed it exactly the same split second as Jonbon, who himself was beaten an eased down 22 lengths by CH. Epatante was awarded a bigger RPR for her Champion run too!

State Man was some cert off 141 in County Hurdle; 3 Grade 1 wins since .
Neither A J Martin nor C Byrnes have shown such audacity in their time.

Isn't that the second time in the last two or three years WPM has taken the County with Grade 1 novice?

I imagine he'll already have another lined up for the next one but he'll probably enter a dozen.

Last edited:
I reckon Nicky will be more worried that his horse box gets stuck in traffic and he doesn't get to the races in time, than he is about Statesman:whistle:[/QUOTE]

Ha ha I like that.

C.H straight to Cheltenham

Nickys protest at the Sandown race being cancelled

State Man will not let such trivial matters get in his way

Agreed.

State Man should not concern himself with such trifling piffle.

He should instead concern himself with the fact he probably has to find a stone to get Constitution Hill off the bridle.

An Capall is right about a great many things, but I fear he is gravely mistaken about the outcome of the Champion Hurdle.

Last edited:
An Capall is right about a great many things, but I fear he is gravely mistaken about the outcome of the Champion Hurdle.[/QUOTE]

He didnt say which year though.
Next year when CH goes chasing.

He didnt say which year though.
Next year when CH goes chasing.

You never know, he might just get lucky.

Horses can have bad days, some get injured.

This game is not as precise a science as people often want to believe.

At least Constitution Hill has one worthy opponent...

Last edited:
Back