Road To The Champion Hurdle

its strange coz I thought Celestial would drop back like a stone and the race would concern horses finishing from way back, but that never happened

That`s what would have happened in a Group 1 on the flat, but here you had horses out the back who were either too old, not good enough, out of form or running on unsuitable ground.

Binocular got up the hill fine, he was closer at the finish than he was at any stage.

Faster ground might have suited but it would have been a totally different race in every respect.

I've only seen the race once, but it definitely seemed to me that the front two came back to Binocular rather than him running on. The effect was probably exaggerated due to Crack Away Jack staying on very well into fourth.

Post Istabraq the winners of this race have all been good horses - but none of them would be 170+ animals. I was hoping we`d see one today but it wasn`t to be.

Binocular picked up and carried Celestial Halo on their last two meetings at Aintree and Ascot. It's not just that Binocular's speed is blunted at Cheltenham, but that it suits Celestial Halo really well.

Either way, Punjabi's done 'em both fair and square.

I notice there was a £11000-£500 e/w punt on course. Mr Miller?

That`s what would have happened in a Group 1 on the flat, but here you had horses out the back who were either too old, not good enough, out of form or running on unsuitable ground.

aye..fair comment

my fav race of the festival an all...looked like a GN finish

I also thought the first two came back rather than Binocular coming on

aye..fair comment

my fav race of the festival an all...looked like a GN finish

I also thought the first two came back rather than Binocular coming on

Yes the others probably came back a little but if Binocular was stopping as well then the gap surely would not have been closing like that. I'd say the ground and possibly not an ideal preparation (Henderson hinted the snow stalled them alot) were to blame rather than him not getting home. Either way he is unlikely to be an Istabraq.

its odd because Binocular has never captured my imagination at all...certainly never an Istabraq...then again..the winner has never impressed me but has showed some guts to win for sure

its certainly the end of the inca/eustace era..which is sad but inevitable..but they gave us some great races

Watching this split screen replay between the Supreme Novices and Champion Hurdle on RUK... any prices for Celestial Halo in next year's World Hurdle?

Osana was beaten too early for it to be too fast a pace.

All credit to Punjabi, who ran a great race.

I think McCoy knew before turning the last he wasnt holding as much as he hoped.

Watching this split screen replay between the Supreme Novices and Champion Hurdle on RUK... any prices for Celestial Halo in next year's World Hurdle?

I'd be surprised if they did not try for another Champion next year.

RUK are saying it was a remarkable run by Celestial Hero, and it was, but that is how he had to be ridden. He had no choice.

RUK are saying it was a remarkable run by Celestial Hero, and it was, but that is how he had to be ridden. He had no choice.

He had a choice to give up the ghost if he wanted :)

Agree with that. Rode differently than last year but when push came to shove he didn't have enough petrol in the tank

I remember the commentator saying he was travelling strongly. I must admit I didnt think he was ever travelling as powerfully as he has earlier in the season but again it was a different test altogether.

Also, I wouldn't say Binocular can't win a Champion Hurdle on that ground. Seemed to be dripping in sweat before the race, which may have made a difference.

Thought McCoy rode him perfectly, as I thought initially he was too close to the pace, but he was in fact in the ideal position.

Geraghty, like him or not, is a really top big race jockey.

D J Casey got a ban for over-doing it on Jered when the stewards considered him out of contention.

He finished 8th. Although he was a good 11+ lengths off the last prize money spot (6th), should he be expected to know that there's 7 or 8 horses ahead of him and not 5 or 6?

Disappointed that Binocular couldn't do it but I wouldn't make excuses.

I'm pleased for Henderson, who is a gent. I'm sure they'll be cursing the fact that Punjabi came down in the Christmas Hurdle and missed out on the million pound bonus!

Celestial Halo has run a cracker.

For me it was down to the ground. Winner by Komaite who all love to get their toe in - you could see how he was grabbing the ground up the run-in where it didn't suit Binocular nearly as well. Also if AP had got a better jump at the last - he might have done it. However great finish from 3 very brave horses and good to watch.

Back