Road To The Champion Hurdle

As Sizing Europes biggest fan I have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that there is something slightly wrong with him.The pain of defeat was eased by laying 400 at 1.12 in running.

Not sure, Luke. Unlike at Cheltenham, he looked to pick up nicely after the second last and looked to have the others well beaten two out (it looked like a re-run of last year's AIG really) before tiring noticeably before the last and then staying on again. It's not like he just stopped as if shot when asked to come off the bridle.

Encouragement aside, he does have to prove that he still retains the ability that saw him demolish Hardy Eustace at Leopardstown. I truly hope he does, as he is undoubtedly Champion Hurdle class IMO. They couldn't go fast enough for him today during the early stages either.

Fantastic performance once again from Hardy Eustace. A true legend.

Seizing europe has a problem, it is a pity because he looked one destined to go to the top.

About todays race
Hardy was the only one in the field with form on heavy ground.

Isn`t it about time SE was with a decent trainer? "Improve for the run" is one thing. That took the piss.

Unfair-he has done well with limited opportunities.Paul Nicholls is getting Group horses off the flat and he hasn't exactly set the hurdling world on fire.

thanks

Grassy..as someone else has pointed out..which looked clear to me..HE is by and far the best form horse purely on heavy ground..he was miles clear on RPR's..just on that particular surface

so..to be fair in this case..the formbook is safe

imo of course;)

if judged purely on heavy ground form..Hardy Eustace is the best horse in the race by some way...none of them want this ground..but he has proved he can run a decent figure in it.

he is the clear value bet imo.

What a terrific shout..great stuff from EC1. A great result for the sentimental amongst us:) A fine effort from SE..offers plenty of hope for the remainder of the season.

I thought Jered was unable to go the gallop from the start. He simply did not have the pace of SE. I think SE is now a cert for the Christmas hurdle. He tired at the end. Hardy was a great bet, when they are getting on in years like he is now they tend to have them ready to rock first time out.

Ascot Hurdle looks a strange race for Crack Away Jack to be taking in in the context of a (presumed) Champion Hurdle campaign though.

Does seem odd that they've stepped him up in trip on his first outing in open company. I think Elusive Dream is the one they all have to beat.

I love Crack Away Jack - have done since he ran at Ascot last year. Saw him then and decided he was a machine ~ and that was going to post!! That said, even money is a daft price for him in tomorrow's race (that was the price Sid James were quoting earlier - still, what more could you expect from such an outfit of utter clowns?) much as Chomba Womba's price was too big. I also suspect that Lough Derg at 33/1 could prove to be a shade big although Franchoek also enters the picture.

I really can't forgive the RP for drawing everyone's attention to Crack Away Jack, not least the poxy 'Jack's Diary'!!

I also think that the step up in trip will suit him fine, since IMO he is a 2m-2m4f chaser in the making, who will hopefully get 3m in time.

Oh, I also think (well, hope, in truth!) that CAJ will win tomorrow, but still think his price is falsely short.

I hope so, yes - however I have a hunch that he will want a little further which may hinder his chances of lifting the hurdling crown.

The way the Champion Hurdle is run seems to suit horses that stay a lot further than 2m, SL, so I don't see that as a negative.

I've backed CAJ from the Champion Hurdle myself (albeit after the boat left the island), but think he runs into a serious horse in Elusive Dream tomorrow - one which has the forecast ground and the trip in it's favour.

I agree, Grassy - although the nagging doubt is always there that the one with a bit of extra stamina may be done for toe.

The new Darkness, Harry? I didn't realise that you were looking for a 33/1 shot to be tipped up months beforehand that started a sixth of that price come the day and still got placed........:p

Agree with Grassy that Elsuive Dream has conditions to suit and, as such, is probably too big.

I'm not convinced by Chomba Womba's form, consistent mare though she (form of Elite doesn't convince me) and she would need to step up on her Irish form (as well as her Festival form) to figure.

Franchoek is an interesting one up in trip. Vibes of late havn't been terribly positive though, have they?

Crack Away Jack still has it all to prove in terms of the Champion Hurdle and, as such, represents feck all in terms of value IMO.

Back