Road To The Champion Hurdle

He is what he is. I've never had any strong feelings about him although many do. He's not the type I'd back either mind.

I fail to see why it would be poor renewal should Chomba Womba and Crack Away Jack prove good enough to be in the first three in the Champion Hurdle. Firstly it is in four months time, so there is ample time for the pair to continue on the upward curve they are displaying currently.

Secondly, I feel both of them would benefit from the drop back to two miles.

There isnt much point using the proximity of Elusive Dream to batter the front pair, as I think the trip was more up his street than the two who beat him, and to to suggest that Binocular would easily beat him off, whilst entirely possible, is taking a little for granted as Binocular is rated 152 and the Nicholls horse 158 if I have read the official figures correctly.

As for Alph, he is an enigma! But Franchoek and Lough Derg appeared to run alright. I think it was a good race, the first two home could continue to improve, and dont forget it is very difficult to show a Champion Hurdle winning level of form until you have run in one, until then the form is never good enough !

The price of Crack Away Jack for the race has been a bit silly though.

Secondly, I feel both of them would benefit from the drop back to two miles.

Chomba Womba may well have been coming to the end of her tether on Saturday, Uncle Goober, and I'll certainly concede that she's a progressive mare, but I can't see her being good enough dropping back to two miles on good ground (which is key IMO) to place in an average Champion. On soft ground, she would have every chance of placing at a track that will play to her strengths as well.

It's probably worth giving it a try anyway, as she didn't seem to quite see out the trip in the Nicholson last year.

If Sizing Europe can recapture the form that saw him win the AIG, he'll piss in IMO.

Last edited:
Granted, she was receiving weight at Wincanton but Chomba Womba was very impressive in winning there - they sustained quite a gallop and the mare certainly wasn't stopping at the end of the race.

I'm not convinced the form of the Elite is up to much, Shads; that said, if the ground turns up as soft as it was at Wincanton at Cheltenham, she has every chance of running into a place (as I said above).

Maybe it's not - time will tell! Despite receiving large amounts of weight from him, she did comprehensively beat the reigning champion hurdler mind, a title no-one can take from him!

Sublimity goes for the revised Fighting Fifth and Harchibald now goes to Cheltenham for the BULA. Anyone heard if Sizing Europe is going to Cheltenham pre christmas for this?

I've been backing Osana for this over the last couple of weeks at 20+ - I reckon he's the best value in the graveyard.

Celestial Halo, Harchibald, Binocular all due to clash on Saturday at Cheltenham...should be interesting!

Snap tie, crackaway jack , Osana added to that list also?

After saturday i think the champion hurdle wont be as open as it is now

The winner of the Champion hurldle wont even be in this race anyways

Boylesports International
Boylesports: 7-4 (from 9-4) Binocular, 3 Chomba Womba, 7-2 Katchit, 4 Crack Away Jack, 10 Harchibald, Celestial Halo, 14 River Liane, 16 Solwhit, 25 Khyber Kim, Serabad, 33 Won In The Dark.
Blue Square: 10-11 (from 8-11) Binocular, 6 Katchit, 11-2 (from 7) Crack Away Jack, 8 Chomba Womba, 12 Celestial Halo, 16 Harchibald, 20 Serabad, River Liane, Solwhit, Khyber Kim, 33 Won In The Dark.

Weights: 11st each
Fillies and mares allowed7lb
Penalties, after September 30th, 2007:
a winner of a Class 2weight-for-age hurdle race or a Class 1 handicap hurdle race4lb
Of a Class 1 weight-for-age hurdle race8lb

Back