Road To The Champion Hurdle

I have been watching Chomba Womba since her long bumper career and I thought she travelled sweetly the last day and has possibly improved since last season.I really fancy her tomorrow but I would lay CAJ for the balance of my betfair account at 11-10 or lower.

Has a 4yo won this race in the last 20 years.

only 2 X 4yo have run in the last 10 years Luke

I've had a go on ELUSIVE DREAM

his lifetime record on all codes on this going reads 41111411...NH record reads 111411. His form after a break from the track also
suggests fitness won't be an issue.

Didn't learn anything new but it's nice to see him prove his well-being on the course.

I do have a slight doubt about the track, Gal.

What do we make of Crack Away Jack BTW? Absolutely nothing wrong with his run today. I expressed the view that Chomba Womba needed to improve to win this beforehand but, in fairness to her, she is probably a progressive mare who is going from strength to strength at the minute. Elusive Dream look to run his race without having the pace to get to grips with the front two. Form has a really solid look to it IMO.

Difficult to know whether Crack Away Jack would have won but for the blunder two out, certainly looked to lose more ground than the length that separated himself and Chomba Womba at the line.

Despite the fact he has probably improved on anything he has shown thusfar today, he still has it all to prove in terms of the Champion.

Today was a step forward for Crack Away Jack.I think the best horse on the day won the race but in the back of my mind I think they might get as much racing as possible into her before getting her into foal.

It will be a very poor Champion Hurdle if any of the runners at Ascot today play a serious role in the finish come March.

crackaway jack would need to improve a good few pounds to be involved in shake up come march.As for binocular could not of been anymore efficent really relished is hurdles,next run will tell us a lot.

It will be a very poor Champion Hurdle if any of the runners at Ascot today play a serious role in the finish come March.

Its a bit early in CAJ's career for that conclusion surely?

Binocular

I was at Haydock on Saturday, he was very buzzy in the paddock and had sweated up - quite an achievement considering how cold it was! I was a little disappointed how he looked, a bit light, not sure he has strengthened up a lot from his summer off. Though obviously he did nothing wrong in the race and always travelled/jumped well. His next race will tell us more....

I was at Haydock on Saturday, he was very buzzy in the paddock and had sweated up - quite an achievement considering how cold it was! I was a little disappointed how he looked, a bit light, not sure he has strengthened up a lot from his summer off. Though obviously he did nothing wrong in the race and always travelled/jumped well. His next race will tell us more....

Ditto, and despite the negatives, he really clears a hurdle quickly. I genuinely hope he runs in a proper race soon.

Binocular got like that at Ascot for his hurdling debut last season. I think its 'just him' as clearly he went on to run two tremendous races at the festivals where ' handling the razzamatazz' is necessary, as they say in cliche land. Not a horse I especially like but he deserved plenty of credit for bouncing back from Cheltenham, where he finished exhausted in second, to win so well at Aintree. He seems to take his races better than his appearance suggests that he will.

For what its worth I think Chomba Womba and Crack Away Jack both deserve to be aimed at The Champion and could be worthy first three candidates. The mare has improved alot and people should accept that rather than look at her earlier career. The gelding will have learnt loads from fighting a losing battle as often happens. I wouldnt dwell on his jumping too much, he is basically really slick but missed a couple on this occasion. The pair of them were going slow mo up the run-in at Ascot but though neither flinched under pressure, I think a drop back to two miles would be best for both of them.

If so it would be a pretty poor renewal

Complete agree...they will have to leave the Ascot form miles behind if they are to figure. The likes of Binocular, Sizing Europe and co would easily beat off the likes of Alph and Elusive Dream. How Crack Away Jack is so short in the betting is beyond me...clearly the bookies have some heavy liabilities on the horse.

Would say of those racing on Saturday there's only really Punjabi who'd have a chance come March - and that would be an outside one.

I would not completely rule Sublimity out of going close in another Champion Hurdle. Ran a big race last year before not getting home in the over watered ground that had rain on it.

Just came on here to say pretty much the same Gal. Hope at very least we see him on the racecourse more often with his new trainer

I'm a sublimity man too, I'm not sure the ground could be entirely to blame. Another race under his belt beforehand would have helped.

Back