Road To The Champion Hurdle

Binocular is either a 4/6 chance or 5's shot. Depends which turns up the Champion Hurdler or the rancid creature from Newbury.

…this is a fair way of looking at it. The best of the rump of the field are basically low to mid-160 performers (although at least a couple of these can be expected to improve again). Binocular and Khyber Kim are 170+ performers (in Binocular’s case mid-170s).
This gives Binocular (at his best) a real edge.
As Zaynar is also performing below standard, I’m perversely hopeful that they can turn the pair of them round when the stable starts to fully fire.

At 7/2 - Khyber Kim is the snide each way bet of the Christmas.

But before Relkeel attacks me I'll be betting win only.

Last edited:
Binocular is either a 4/6 chance or 5's shot. Depends which turns up the Champion Hurdler or the rancid creature from Newbury.

Binocular blew up and was pretty tenderly handled when his chance was gone . Calling it the effort of a " rancid creature " is way over the top .

I think Khyber Kim will take all the beating - we all know he goes very well fresh.

I think Khyber Kim will take all the beating - we all know he goes very well fresh.

He'll certainly set the standard given Binocular's most recent performance. If Binocular, or Starluck (who I'm a little bit sweet on for this) manages to beat Khyber it will put them bang in line at the top of the market for the big one.

Big fan of the Kyber but those odds don't appeal on this track. I certainly wouldn't rule Overturn out of the reckoning - has been working the house down at home and wouldn't have to improve a massive amount to beat the rest if Kyber is off a beat and the previously mentioned "rancid creature" turns up. Seeing as there are two Binoculars shouldn't we persist with rancid creature to avoid all confusion with the classy animal Pat Flynn trains??;)

Hurricane Fly as short as 3/1 now for the Champion Hurdle. I don't think we learned anything today. Coral are top @ 9/2 which is more realistic. I can't see how you can back a horse who has failed to make the festival two years running at such a short price.

Hurricane Fly as short as 3/1 now for the Champion Hurdle. I don't think we learned anything today. Coral are top @ 9/2 which is more realistic. I can't see how you can back a horse who has failed to make the festival two years running at such a short price.

If he turned up on the day at that price, would you back him?

He is currently 4/1 (WAR). I don't see him being superior to Binocular, Menorah or Peddles Cross around Cheltenham. I'd want at least 4s on the day if those three oppose him.

In terms of sheer class and ability, I think he is best of the field - but weither he can reproduce it in Cheltenham conditions is the question.

2 1/2 lengths, 1 1/2 lengths, neck. The distances he has beaten Solwhit on his last 3 starts. That bare form doesn't justify him being a short-priced favourite for the Champion Hurdle. We all have our own views of what the way he goes about things means. For me, his strong travelling nature, doing it mostly on the bridle means he's always likely to be overestimated, something which I thing his current price reflects. Give me a Menorah or Khyber Kim who I know will find plenty when the gun is put to their heads after the second last.

Others have said it earlier on the thread but Khyber Kim @ 16/1 looks the pick of the prices.

2 1/2 lengths, 1 1/2 lengths, neck. The distances he has beaten Solwhit on his last 3 starts. That bare form doesn't justify him being a short-priced favourite for the Champion Hurdle. We all have our own views of what the way he goes about things means. For me, his strong travelling nature, doing it mostly on the bridle means he's always likely to be overestimated, something which I thing his current price reflects. Give me a Menorah or Khyber Kim who I know will find plenty when the gun is put to their heads after the second last.

A bit unfair, DJ. Hurricane Fly never failed to quicken-up when asked to go on against Go Native as a novice.

A long time ago now though. The race that sticks in my head is how he scrambled home at Punchestown. Okay he'd been off but he made much heavier weather of it than looked likely. I have a downer on Montjeu's generally too, that also plays a part in my take on him.

Back