Road To The Champion Hurdle

I think you have to assume that at least some trainers have managed to get their horses to a race like the Champion Hurdle in the form of their lives, and you should be very reluctant to downgrade the form. It's not the same thing as an early season event like the Lockinge, which can turn out to have been cheaply won because horses are not going into it at their peak.

Yep, that's fair comment too.

Except for the stuff about the Lockinge. Has no place on a racing forum. ;)

I think you have to assume that at least some trainers have managed to get their horses to a race like the Champion Hurdle in the form of their lives, and you should be very reluctant to downgrade the form. It's not the same thing as an early season event like the Lockinge, which can turn out to have been cheaply won because horses are not going into it at their peak.

I've heard there may be a highway robbery in this :whistle:

I made exactly the same point as Grey - glad you agree Grass

No you didn't.

Grey says you should be "very reluctant" to downgrade it. I said we should be at liberty to "question" it.

You said it's sacrosanct regardless, and used a litany of vacuous and utterly irrelevant arguments to bolster your position.

I'm a fair sort generally, EC1, and I've tried very hard to engage you in what I hoped would be an interesting, if divergent, debate. But the truth of the matter is that you aren't interested in debate. You have a position, and anyone who disagrees with it can expect to be a) accused of ridiculing you, or b) have their position misrepresented at your whim.

I'm starting to wonder whether I've called you right. Maybe you don't have the kind of conviction I thought you had? Maybe you're actually a pain in the arse? I get the feeling that I would have been as well spending the last two evenings discussing Schrodinger's Equation with my 7yo. She wouldn't understand me either.

Last edited:
No you didn't.

Grey says you should be "very reluctant" to downgrade it. I said we should be at liberty to "question" it.

You said it's sacrosanct regardless, and used a litany of vacuous and utterly irrelevant arguments to bolster your position.

I'm a fair sort generally, EC1, and I've tried very hard to engage you in what I hoped would be an interesting, if divergent, debate. But the truth of the matter is that you aren't interested in debate. You have a position, and anyone who disagrees with it can expect to be a) accused of ridiculing you, or b) have their position misrepresented at your whim.

I'm starting to wonder whether I've called you right. Maybe you don't have the kind of conviction I thought you had? Maybe you're actually a pain in the arse? I get the feeling that I would have been as well spending the last two evenings discussing Schrodinger's Equation with my 7yo. She wouldn't understand me either.

EC1 may be three-parts guilty of all of this on occasion (...a beaut of a put-down incidentally, albeit not completely true), but adopting a position of devil’s advocate does draw out some interesting debate. He is often jumped upon for expressing perfectly valid ideas and people tend to behave a little hysterically when he’s around. But I enjoy many of his posts even though there is a large element of winding people up that is quite clearly fully intentioned.

Keep it up EC1... For my part I will endeavour to continue to educate and council you about the right horse to back in the Gold Cup... all is not lost.;)

No you didn't.

I thought I used some good arguments..in fact..that good you didn't like them very much..because they showed that it pulled down a horse we all think is a bit of a legend

I'm a fair sort generally, EC1, and I've tried very hard to engage you in what I hoped would be an interesting, if divergent, debate.
Hey..thanks for being fair to me..nice one:)..i thought it was interesting..mind you i won lol..just kiddin:)

You have a position, and anyone who disagrees with it can expect to be a) accused of ridiculing you, or b) have their position misrepresented at your whim.
I'm no different to anyone else on here...in fact..I'm a damn sight more gracious when i'm shown to be wrong than 90% of people who post here.

I'm afraid there is a belittling angle at play on here..let me tell you how it works..a few people here are looked on as plebs..whilst others..some who are in "the business" ...are awarded automatic respect. Clive for instance..he's looked down on isn't he?..and there is no reason for me to stick up for Clive..as anyone who posted on TRF at that time knows.

I don't misrepreesent anyone's position..I might take it to an extreme..to show how daft it is..but I don't misrepresent

I'm starting to wonder whether I've called you right. Maybe you don't have the kind of conviction I thought you had?

Well..I don't know what you think about my conviction..but if by conviction you mean how tolerant I am to people spouting generalistic comments..with no meat on the bone..or whatever..not sure what you are pointing at here tbh.

You talk as though I don't understand some area you are alluding to in your last bit..well I understand plenty about what you have put forward over the last couple of days..and totally disagree with you..thats why we have been going at it.

I didn't realise I had been so offensive to you as I didn't mean to be..i just don't understand your logic over this issue at all.

so..I won't make any personal comments about you..like you seem to be alluding about me in your summing up.

we disagree on this..thats all

and before some smart arse mentions tiresome shit..i'm just answering a post..ok?..is that alright with you David?

Thanks Steve..I'll be listening to you..but I'm not backing bloody Denman :)

Last edited:
A very interesting list of entries for the Kingwell.

Celestial Halo
Mille Chief
Notus de la Tour
Overturn
Peddlers Cross
Ronaldo des Mottes
Salden Licht
Silviniaco Conti
Soldatino
Solix
Walkon

Some of these are likely to swerve the race if the Tote Trophy is rescheduled for Sunday, but it looks like there will be a good batch of horses running.

A very interesting list of entries for the Kingwell.

Celestial Halo
Mille Chief
Notus de la Tour
Overturn
Peddlers Cross
Ronaldo des Mottes
Salden Licht
Silviniaco Conti
Soldatino
Solix
Walkon

Some of these are likely to swerve the race if the Tote Trophy is rescheduled for Sunday, but it looks like there will be a good batch of horses running.

That would be a serious race if they all took part -
Celestial Halo -- probably will run (if he wins by ten lenghts grassy will do his nut)
Mille Chief -- pretty likely I'd say
Notus de la Tour --- Tote Gold
Overturn -- Intended race - very likely
Peddlers Cross -- Kelso will be his race but would love to see him run here!!
Ronaldo des Mottes --- likely
Salden Licht --- TGT
Silviniaco Conti -- very likely
Soldatino ---- TGT
Solix ---- TGT
Walkon ---- TGT - but may divert hear as AK has several entries in TGT.

Five or six of these even would make it a decent trial.

Peddlers Cross may not run at Kelso if the going there is heavy and could well take up his entry in the Kingwell

Kingwell could be some race yet!!

There is a distinct possibility that we may actually get to see Dunguib run in a horse race this weekend. He's only been in training for roughly 7 and a half months now!:rolleyes:

Clive for instance..he's looked down on isn't

Not that ive noticed, or more likely cared

Its hard to take seriously "being looked down on" by anoraks or overgrown northern students

Last edited:
You think because you spend your time with wind up stop watches and kanckered old spreadsheets and havent been near a woman (other than your mum) since the last arrest, you are some sort of expert

Given that you never shop anywhere other than millets and lidl, have personal hygine issues and your idea of a night out is drinking Old english cider out of plastic bottles, you are only entitled to look down on spacehopper whos personal habits are a disgrace

Why the Northern bit? It's the same with baiting Dave with Toxteth in the Torres thread. Is it because whilst people from the South live longer than us Northerners, it's been discovered that on average, we have bigger manhoods? And Clive c a n n o t h a n d l e this?

Last edited:
Hmm maybe i have something to tahnk my northern heritage for though

still you can have a massive car but if it only stays in the garage, its no use to anyone

Last edited:
You think because you spend your time with wind up stop watches and kanckered old spreadsheets and havent been near a woman (other than your mum) since the last arrest, you are some sort of expert

Given that you never shop anywhere other than millets and lidl, have personal hygine issues and your idea of a night out is drinking Old english cider out of plastic bottles, you are only entitled to look down on spacehopper whos personal habits are a disgrace

cider?..how rude :)

Back