Road To The Champion Hurdle

I disagree, think the front two are superstars. Peddlers will be some horse over further and fences.

Hurricane Fly was breathtaking, delighted with him. Weeks paid for, Doubles rolling on to Big Bucks now mean he is massive for me.

Well done - hope you did the forecast!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

On a line through Kyber Kim it would have been a penalty kick for Binocular...

Last edited:
Two very good horses in front there..

What are the plans for Peddlars? Chasing next year? Have they said?

I really think so. Maybe its me, but he looks more like a chaser in the making than a hurdler. Very exciting....

Also quite a while since theres been a true star from north of the trent

I think Oscar Whisky might be suited by further/slower pace. Thought he ran really well but CH4 showed a shot of them jumping the last (I think) and whilst the first two were jumped it really quickly he just seemed to take his time getting over it (in comparison). As for Binocular not sure if he would have beaten the winner but would have been pretty close IMHO.

It's a shame Binocular wasn't there. I think he's a smashing horse, but wouldn't have beaten the winner on this year's form. If he'd turned up in the form he was in last year, would have been a hell of a race.

It's a shame Binocular wasn't there. I think he's a smashing horse, but wouldn't have beaten the winner on this year's form. If he'd turned up in the form he was in last year, would have been a hell of a race.

I agree . Let's hope he turns up at Punchestown in that form!

I think the time and proximity of Thousands Stars mean it can't be rated too highly. However, that is not Hurricane Fly's fault and doesn't take away from the fact he is now undeniably the best hurdler of this year. It would be great if Binocular went to Punchestown but at the moment, it would be him taking HF on (as he is the Champion Hurdler) than the other way around. How would everyone price it?

Worthy winner

How do the ratings boys rate hurricane now and Solwhit given that Thousand stars got fourth?

Solwhit still as I said earlier - a 155/156 horse. Hurricane Fly could never have got much better than a 160+ for me, but the doubt for me today was the value of that plus. I didn't think a + could translate to enough to win a Champion, but it did, and comfortably. All it means in reference to Solwhit is Hurricane Fly has buckets up his sleeve, not that I have underestimated Solwhit (my view). Well done for keeping the faith.

I do think you are underrating Solwhit but we will prob never know for sure. Hurricane was incredibly classy today, moreso when you see Ruby's afterthoughts that he never settled properly

Heard Mullins say they might consider Quevega for Aintree so guess we'll see HF at Punchestown

I think the time and proximity of Thousands Stars mean it can't be rated too highly. However, that is not Hurricane Fly's fault and doesn't take away from the fact he is now undeniably the best hurdler of this year. It would be great if Binocular went to Punchestown but at the moment, it would be him taking HF on (as he is the Champion Hurdler) than the other way around. How would everyone price it?

Obviously depends what else lines up but I would want 3's Binocular

Watching it on TV for the first time and considering McCain throughout was going on about how a fast pace would really suit Peddler's Cross I was rather surprised that PC didn't seek to lay up with the not very fast pace Overturn was setting - he appeared to set more of a gallop in the Christmas Hurdle .

Not saying it would have affected the result as HF might well have settled better but odd tactics against a horse with such known speed.

I agree that Thousand Stars was a bit close for comfort and the proximity of Clerks'Choice suggests Menorah was a bit below par too but all credit to the winner and runner up they gave us a Night Nurse /Monksfield class battle.

Rated through Oscars Whisky who I had at 163+ going into the race - Thousand Stars 160 on good ground and Menorah who I had at 159+ going into the race.

Binocular 171+ still had a little more to give
Peddlers Cross 169+ hurdled the best of the field imo (binocularish)
Oscar Whisky 164 needs further
Thousand Stars 162 ----- Solwhit 164(rated through T.S.)
Menorah 161 (+ with cut in the ground and still improving)
Clerks Choice 159 (+ with firm in the ground and sill improving)

None of the rest ran their race except Bygonnes Of Brid who still looks well h'capped for 18f on soft round Kelso.

Overturn - had a long hard year and should have been rested - not surprising he was unable to set a faster pace. Hopefully this hasn't finished him off and he'll be back.

Dunguib needs further and a bit of cut.

Khyber Kim - bad preparation and 9yo - peaked last year - the only way is down.

Mille Chief - was probably over the top or they'll find something wrong - he'll be back and can still improve.

I think if Hurricane Fly and Binocular both turned up at the top of their game it would be a photo finish - I'd just give Binocular the edge as he missed Cheltenham but a great shame those questions weren't answered today - I could cry.

Last edited:
Thought they went flat out when I watched it live this afternoon but after the recording it doesn't seem so. My heart bleeds for Peddlers - he's such a powerful specimen who gives his absolute all! Not even if they went round on bikes would HF have been beaten today. There are no excuses - we have a new Champion Hurdler and a deserving one. I think he may hold that crown for another year at least.:surrender:

Today's race brings to mind the Kauto Denman confrontation -power versus speed with Hurricane the speed and Pedlars the power. A classic match up. Maybe some good tusssles ahead.

Special winner - very well done to all you Hurricane Fly guys - you didn't hide and deserve your boot filling!! Despite having no blood left in my body I was delighted with Peddlers - thought he was capable of a run in the 170's - he battled very bravely and will make a serious serious chaser!!

Hurricane Fly will kick Binocular all over the place at Punchestown!

Although Peddlars looks a chaser and will probably go chasing I would worry about him jumping fences as he hurdles so brilliantly and is so low and quick over them. I'm sure he's with the right trainer to teach him though but wouldn't want to back him until I saw him jumpng them a couple of times.

I was also convinced in my mind that Hurricane Fly would come there cruising but the hill would find him out - A true champion :adore::adore:

Back