Road to the Gold Cup 2012

Suprisingly Willie Mullins gave no mention or view about Quel Esprit in his Cheltenham horses preview in todays RP on pages 8-9. He said he had 'about' 37 horses going ,he mentioned 37 horses, but this one was not one.

Last edited:
Suprisingly Willie Mullins gave no mention or view about Quel Esprit in his Cheltenham horses preview in todays RP on pages 8-9. He said he had 'about' 37 horses going ,he mentioned 37 horses, but this one was not one.

Ruby clearly thinks he has no chance against Kauto .

Wouldn't expect him too but that doesn't take away from the fact that he wasn't on page 8-9 today!:)

There's no way Kauto Star is going to get the trip at Cheltenham.

On both of his victories this year he had nothing in the tank going towards the line and to think he could find another 2 furlongs on Friday is obsured, especially if Midnight Chase goes off like a speed ball then Kauto Star will be lucky to finish in the placings from a late stayer up the hill possibly Synchronised and What A Friend.

Makes me very interested in the chances of the latter - Synchronised and What A Friend, What A Friend always the bridesmaid it could be his year in 2012.

Last edited:
Nicholls is a laugh isn't he?

"Ruby came over to school him and Kauto was awesome, just as I'd thought he would be".

...which part of the 50:50 was the part that thought he would be?

Good news anyway. Nicholls has hogged all the pre-race news, but I understand one or two others may line up in the race.

That made me chuckle too, Steve. Even cutting him some slack this time for an unspoken "based on the last few days' improvement", he peppers every post-race interview with "X happened, exactly as I expected" or some such aftertiming nonsense, apparently heedless of the fact that at least half the time he's completely contradicting what he said in the corresponding pre-race interview half an hour earlier.

The man's a genius trainer, no question, but he'd be a lot easier to like if he didn't try to make himself out to have been Mystic Meg at every turn.

Nicholls is a laugh isn't he?

"Ruby came over to school him and Kauto was awesome, just as I'd thought he would be".

...which part of the 50:50 was the part that thought he would be?

Good news anyway. Nicholls has hogged all the pre-race news, but I understand one or two others may line up in the race.

He has been an embarassment to racing the past 2 weeks. You can't but get the impression he has loved all of the attention, and you wonder what he will be like when his yard stops being number 1.

If Paul Nicholls was a member of this forum he would have his posts put on Moderation control.

There's no way Kauto Star is going to get the trip at Cheltenham.

On both of his victories this year he had nothing in the tank going towards the line and to think he could find another 2 furlongs on Friday is obsured, especially if Midnight Chase goes off like a speed ball then Kauto Star will be lucky to finish in the placings from a late stayer up the hill possibly Synchronised and What A Friend.

Makes me very interested in the chances of the latter - Synchronised and What A Friend, What A Friend always the bridesmaid it could be his year in 2012.

What bilge !

1 He has won the race twice - hence he clearly stays the trip

2 He was dossing at Kempton - Ruby takes a pull before the last and admitted he thought Long Run was further behind

3 He had plenty in the tank at Haydock well a lot more than the rest

4 Midnight Chase could not go fast enough for Kauto last year and was headed after the first circuit

5 Lucky to finish in the placings when he is in miles better form than he was last year

6 It is certain to be good ground .

If Kauto flops it will be to do with unexpected consequences from his fall or because he has an off day and is wrong- not the reasons suggested in this post .

1 He has won the race twice - hence he clearly stays the trip

To be fair they went a crawl during his first win, Turpin Green only getting beat 5L. and his second was basically a Nicholls time trial with no other worthwhile opposition and Denman on the easy list.

Not to take anything whatsoever away from him but Cheltenham isn't his best track and like Desert Orchid he's won there through his sheer class.

That made me chuckle too, Steve. Even cutting him some slack this time for an unspoken "based on the last few days' improvement", he peppers every post-race interview with "X happened, exactly as I expected" or some such aftertiming nonsense, apparently heedless of the fact that at least half the time he's completely contradicting what he said in the corresponding pre-race interview half an hour earlier.

The man's a genius trainer, no question, but he'd be a lot easier to like if he didn't try to make himself out to have been Mystic Meg at every turn.

:lol: ...perhaps now the good news is out that Kauto is running he'll keep his trap shut about what a sublime trainer and all-round wonderful chap he is until at least after the race.

He has been an embarassment to racing the past 2 weeks. You can't but get the impression he has loved all of the attention, and you wonder what he will be like when his yard stops being number 1.

...I know. He is getting a bit wearing. He'll probably find another chip to balance on his other shoulder about producing miracles with sub-standard horses, when as likely as not they'll be just as good as anything else in training.

Ardross I can categorically say now that Kauto Star has never been a 3M2 horse and he will not see the trip out on Friday if they go a strong gallop and someone else but Kauto takes it from the front when the pace collapses.

Class horses will always get a little bit extra or a little bit shorter if they're allowed too.

Back