Road To The Neptune

Definitely a player and when you think that none of the principles in this years race look like they are ready to retire we could end up with and exceptional Champion Hurdle next year. There definitely seems to be plenty good novices around that could set op forward next season and he's definitely one of them.

Last edited:
From RP

TOPSPEED guru Dave Edwards believes The New One could be a serious contender for next season's Champion Hurdle after analysing his performance at Cheltenham.

While Hurricane Fly's effort to regain his Champion Hurdle crown was rightly lauded, The New One could prove to be stern competition after posting a superb time when winning the Neptune.

Edwards said: "The Neptune has proved an excellent pointer to the following year's Champion and The New One set an early marker for next season's hurdling crown.

"The track layout was identical both days and the splits reveal Nigel Twiston-Davies's rising star came from the second last in 38.53s against 43.13s clocked by Hurricane Fly a day earlier, a significant margin.

"Of all the hurdle races on the Old course he motored up the run in at 32.1mph, the pick of the week. In contrast Champion Hurdle winner Hurricane Fly laboured at 27.4mph, the slowest."

Agreed. Dawn Run also 2nd in 83 before 84 CH triumph.
What caught my attention was how distressed Pont Alexandre was after the race; his head was down and his muscles trembled for minutes as the first two were fresh as paint.
PA may not have eaten or drank after travelling over.
Winner a CH horse in the making: a machine.
Ground much livelier Wed compared to Tuesday so would take the timings with that in mind.

Agreed. Dawn Run also 2nd in 83 before 84 CH triumph.
What caught my attention was how distressed Pont Alexandre was after the race; his head was down and his muscles trembled for minutes as the first two were fresh as paint.
PA may not have eaten or drank after travelling over.
Winner a CH horse in the making: a machine.
Ground much livelier Wed compared to Tuesday so would take the timings with that in mind.

True but she was very lucky Sabin du Loir was injured for years after 1983 .

To say a horse that won the Irish,English and French Champion Hurdles in addition to the Christmas and Aintree Hurdles -not forgetting a Gold Cup on her fourth run over fences was very lucky because one opponent who wouldn't have had the speed for 2 miles or the stamina for 3 was missing doesn't sit easily with the facts.

To say a horse that won the Irish,English and French Champion Hurdles in addition to the Christmas and Aintree Hurdles -not forgetting a Gold Cup on her fourth run over fences was very lucky because one opponent who wouldn't have had the speed for 2 miles or the stamina for 3 was missing doesn't sit easily with the facts.

He did her for toe that day . He was a very good 2 mile chaser at 9 ! and started odds on for the Arkle but was given a poor ride . The idea that therefore at 5 he would not have been quick enough for 2 miles is supposition - especially when he had been too quick for the CH winner in he Sun Alliance.

It's impossible to prove that any injured racehorse wouldn't have won a Champion Hurdle or Gold Cup.I was a massive fan of Sabin du Loir when he resurrected his career and the number of Gold Cup and Champion Hurdle winners he beat is a credit to him.He was definitely best when fresh and from memory he never won after Feb when Pipe had him.He absolutely did not stay 3 miles and the Champion Hurdle speed just wasn't there.
As admirable as he was Dawn Run improved past him and then kept on improving.

It's impossible to prove that any injured racehorse wouldn't have won a Champion Hurdle or Gold Cup.I was a massive fan of Sabin du Loir when he resurrected his career and the number of Gold Cup and Champion Hurdle winners he beat is a credit to him.He was definitely best when fresh and from memory he never won after Feb when Pipe had him.He absolutely did not stay 3 miles and the Champion Hurdle speed just wasn't there.
As admirable as he was Dawn Run improved past him and then kept on improving.

He was off the track injured from 1983 to 1986 - how can it be said she improved past a horse that was injured ? :confused:

Pipe had him when he was 8 or 9 after a short period with David Murray Smith during which he ran once - bustled up no less a horse than See You Then in the Oteley Hurdle over 2 miles and promptly injured himself in doing so .

Hence , it is strongly arguable that she was lucky he wasn't around in 1984 .

No -it's ridiculous to state she was lucky -you don't win Champion Hurdles in 3 different countries by being lucky.
The following season Dawn Run won the Ascot,Christmas and Aintree Hurdles in addition to the Irish,English and French Champion Hurdles.Name me one horse that attempted to run in all those races never mind won them in the almost 30 years since Dawn Run did the grand slam.Horse of a lifetime.

Name me one horse that attempted to run in all those races never mind won them in the almost 30 years since Dawn Run did the grand slam.Horse of a lifetime.

Thousand Stars competed in all three in 2011 - though obviously with somewhat less success than Dawn Run.

Thousand Stars also ran at Aintree and the French trial but as you say with less success.To make all the running and win every major hurdle in your division from November to June is an amazing achievement -unlikely to reoccur any time soon.

Thousand Stars also ran at Aintree and the French trial but as you say with less success.To make all the running and win every major hurdle in your division from November to June is an amazing achievement -unlikely to reoccur any time soon.

Some teasing bassta has suggested to me that Mullins was considering the French Champion Hurdle for Hurricane Fly. Anyone heard anything about this?

It won't happen-HF will pick up the easy money at
Punchestown before March 2014 becomes the priority.I would be amazed if he ran in France this summer.

Some teasing bassta has suggested to me that Mullins was considering the French Champion Hurdle for Hurricane Fly. Anyone heard anything about this?

According to this he is :blink:

He's the champion hurdler again now. We'll look at Punchestown now, but I'm also very keen on the French Champion Hurdle. 'It's over three miles and one (furlong) but I think he'll stay.'

Whole report here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ra...rdle-ridden-Ruby-Walsh-won-races-day-one.html

I read the Daily Mail story and it just doesn't make sense-why step a 2 mile champion up to 3 miles and a furlong.

Much bigger pot than Punchestown, he might go for both whilst still in his prime..... Are you worried he might match Dawn Runs exploits in winning the English/ Irish/French champion hurdles? :) not that he'll be winning the gold cup mind you!

Back