Road to the RYANAIR CHASE

Benefficient for me.

For me, Benefficient is better over further & this trip is right up his street. The Jewson form of last year is good too.

Benefficient in the Ryanair screams value to me at 10-1.

The Dial-a-Bet doesn't read that well with Hidden Cyclone too close.

The Jewson last season I'm not sure was that good. Dynaste was below form, Module has turned out to be someway below high class and Capt Conan is a tripless hype horse. I think he's priced about right and for him to be value Cue Card, FL and Al Ferof would need to go for Gold - and I can't see them all going for that option

We wont know for sure until after the Denman Chase what race Al Ferof will go for but the market is suggesting the Ryanair and if they go this route then 7/1 looks the stand out price to me, PN really fancies Silviniaco Conti's chances in the Gold Cup and the Ryanair is there for the taking, would also help his champion trainer prospects.

Last edited:
By the way, hezz, the existence of Unioniste surely makes it more likely that AF goes for the Ryanair. In the event that Hales / Nicholls thinks that Unioniste is a force in March, he will run in the Gold Cup. Al Ferof must be long odds on to run in the Ryanair.

Yeah you're probably right Bar The Bull. About Unioniste that is. But I cannot see Al Ferof going to the Ryanair. While its the race he should go for imo, I feel connections will plump for the Gold Cup, unless the ground is deep. He's best on good ground and wouldn't be able to put it up to them in the gc on anything worse than Soft. Soft or better and he'll be lining up in the gc.

Captain Conan entered in the Ascot race that used to be the Victor Chandler, that would suggest that he isn't out for the season.

Guess its in their heads if SS doesn't show up.

Ryanair most likely at this stage for me

Mullins is quoted as saying he was bought to run in 2m championship races so they're clearly testing the water there first. If he can't beat Sire De Grugy you'd expect him to show up in the Ryanair.

How badly injured is Simonsig?

I can't think of many horses that turn around a season at this stage in time for Cheltenham.

Last edited:
Mullins is quoted as saying he was bought to run in 2m championship races so they're clearly testing the water there first. If he can't beat Sire De Grugy you'd expect him to show up in the Ryanair.

How badly injured is Simonsig?

Which horse are you speaking off. I was speaking of Hidden Cyclone who is trained by Shark Hanlon

But I cannot see Al Ferof going to the Ryanair. While its the race he should go for imo, I feel connections will plump for the Gold Cup, unless the ground is deep. He's best on good ground and wouldn't be able to put it up to them in the gc on anything worse than Soft. Soft or better and he'll be lining up in the gc.

Nicholls wants the Championship and his best two animals are Al Ferof and Silviniaco Conti. He's not stupid, he knows Bob's Worth is extremely soild for the race. So is he gonna run them both against him? I can't see the sense in that. And Al Ferof is flexible with regard to ground conditions, it was very soft the day he won the Paddy Power.

At the top level AF's better on better ground. I don't think he has a hope of out staying bobs worth on ground worse than soft over the GC trip.

Surely the key horse in this is unioniste who is in the same ownership as al ferof. I read Nichols is almost sure he goes to the gold cup as he needs a proper trip. So there's no way al ferof will go for the same race as unioniste

Only reason Unioniste has an entry is if it came up bottomless, he's only six and not really ready just yet.

I'm just saying I think unioniste will probably go for the gold cup and if he does you have to admit al ferof surely will go Ryanair. Any owner would want a shot at 2 different races

Back