Road to the Stayers Hurdle

I know it won't happen but the rescheduled Long Walk Hurdle whenever it might be would be an ideal time to test Solwhit over the trip. Take on Big Bucks - if he is not up to it go back for the Irish Champion or Cheltenham Champion if they want.

At 16/1 Mourad is my idea of a good each way bet against Big Bucks.Top class
connections,very hard to keep out of the frame and there is a chance he could beat Big Bucks.
I don't see any downside to an each way bet-Tom Segal is guaranteed to tip him ante post which should make him about a 10/1 shot.

Last edited:
It might be worth asking Ladbrokes to quote a price on Sowlhit as their still non runner no bet. If he lined up on the day untested over 3m what price would he be? Roughly 9/1?

I echo Lukes sentiments on Mourad.

Given that BB will start odds on Gearoid, i'd expect a bit more value than 9/1 on a horse never tried over 3m and one who possibly doesn't enjoy Cheltenham

FWIW, the 74/1 on betfair is appealing however

Fair points. I suppose even with NRNB you would not part with your cash at anything less than 25/1. There was a few requests for Dunguib which is penple taking a similar line. Far less likely to happen though.

At 16/1 Mourad is my idea of a good each way bet against Big Bucks.Top class
connections,very hard to keep out of the frame and there is a chance he could beat Big Bucks.
I don't see any downside to an each way bet-Tom Segal is guaranteed to tip him ante post which should make him about a 10/1 shot.

I agree with all that and will do the same.

I've taken a little 12.5 about Reve De Sivola placing in the race after today's poor round of jumping in the Dipper. I can't see the point of running him in any race over fences at the Festival.

Agree with other posters regarding Mourad, he is still a young horse and open to improvement, he won quite well at Leopardstown at the Christmas festival.

Kyber Kim may now be aimed at the World Hurdle rather than the Champion Hurdle.

He would be very interesting for me in that - going to the Welsh Champion in three weeks which seems a little quick for a horse who likes to be fresh?? Seems always to run his races at Chelts - any price available yet??

Grands Crus won like an unexposed horse is entitled too in that race. 4/1 for the World Hurdle looks a bit short but he will be the each way bet on the day in the World Hurdle.

Really glad to see Knockara Beau run such a good race, having been such a disappointment over fences. He was looking so ungenuine this year; pleased for connections.

I did not back the horse today but am I wrong to think he was entitled to smash that field?

Last edited:
I did not back the horse today but am I wrong to think he was entitled to smash that field?

Yes, I think you are. As it stood, Grands Crus was still more about potential than achievement. He was threatening to be a 165+ hurdler, today he showed he was, and with the prospect of more to come. The way he gets from one side of a hurdle to another compared to Big Buck's will be a massive asset.

I did a trixie last week of Big Zeb, Big Buck's and Imperial Commander, and I'm pretty fearful tbh.

Back