Road to the Stayers Hurdle

:lol:

Typical English quote. Horse x shows up at Cheltenham with form 11111 and the comments on the day from your typical English 'expert' will be:

Racked up a sequence of soft ground tin pot races in Ireland.

In a match bet, I'd take Solwhit over Starluck...in fact...I'd suggest that Solwhit's jockey would have the chance to read Steve M's Festival Predictions on a print-out mid race, and still come home a few lengths in front. Starluck is such a hype horse, I'm beginning to think he doesn't actually exist.

In a match bet, I'd take Solwhit over Starluck...in fact...I'd suggest that Solwhit's jockey would have the chance to read Steve M's Festival Predictions on a print-out mid race, and still come home a few lengths in front. Starluck is such a hype horse, I'm beginning to think he doesn't actually exist.

:lol: ...I'd take you on in that match BJ... they've entered something in the 4.10 at Sandown, we'll find out on Saturday.

I'm pretty sure Solwhit could beat Mr Thriller. I'm also sure he wouldn't have folded as tamely as Starluck did after looking the likely winner in the Triumph.

How is Starluck unexposed as a 2m hurdler? What circumstances could he get that could see him improve?

Not unexposed, less exposed.

Starluck of course finished six lengths in front of Solwhit in last year’s Champion Hurdle when just a 5yo. Improvement from 5 to 6 is not unheard of is it?

Last edited:
Not unexposed, less exposed.

Starluck of course finished six lengths in front of Solwhit in last year’s Champion Hurdle when just a 5yo. Improvement from 5 to 6 is not unheard of is it?

It's uncommon in small Flat-breds with plenty of racing behind them.

Maybe he wasn't, but it certainly doesn't prove he is any better than Starluck either.........

Whereas, if you take their comparative records into account - one a game, genuine and consistent multiple Grade 1 winner, and the other as soft as shite - and it becomes abundantly clear who the better horse is.

Then again, if you're the kind of person who views Irish racing as inherently inferior to British racing, you might think this is not significant, given 'top-class Irish 2m hurdles are poorly-contested events, run on deep ground, and dubious from a form perspective'.

I don't hold such an opinion myself, and would back Solwhit in a match bet against Starluck with a confidence bordering on arrogance. Solwhit may somewhat lack a killer turn-of-foot, but as a wise man once said - "He has balls bigger than King Kong" (metaphorically speaking at any rate).

Starluck would be looking for his cosy-blanket before they hit the furlong marker.

Last edited:
I am going to have a large bet on Big Buck's. With a thirty euro saver on 543.

No other horse can win the race.

Mourad or Grands Crus could win, but I'd agree that Big Buck's again has a favourite's chance.

I backed one horse in this last year (Big Bucks). I've backed three this year with the biggest return weighted to Mourad.

Last edited:
Back