Road to the Stayers Hurdle

I'm not sure if I've followed this correctly, but would Harchibald perhaps be the one?

I think he had one start in a chase ("Held-up, closed on leaders, joined issue, still on bit and going well, not go through with effort, capitulated" :D), and he would still have been a 160's+ hurdler when he did.

173 Punchestowns
173 Iris's Gift
166 Time for Rupert
164 Solwhit
164 Limestone Lad
164 Mighty Man
162 Harchibald
160 Starluck
158 Medermit
157 Sizing Europe
156 Crack Away Jack

Big Buck 174 next season?

Last edited:
Big Bucks will be back down to 169 after getting his arse kicked all over Prestbury Park next Thursday........... by what yet I'm not exactly certain...:whistle:

Actually Solwhit is 164 over hurdles.

Time for Rupert is 166. So Solwhit is the highest rated hurdler to go chasing since November.

:lol: Solwhit is rated only just above Starluck over hurdles, so you could say he’s the best hurdler to go chasing for a couple of weeks... if he makes it that far.

thats the problem with ORs, especially comparing the irish ones with british

Solwhit is a much better than Starluck and the figure of Limestine Lad was a simple joke.

thats the problem with ORs, especially comparing the irish ones with british

Solwhit is a much better than Starluck and the figure of Limestine Lad was a simple joke.

I'd back Starluck to beat Solwhit any day of the week over hurdles or fences.

in this the differences are impossible to solve, Solwhit would canter over hurdles, no opinion over fences

Ladbrokes are going 5/4 against (NRNB) Big Bucks (bigger than others all-in). I’ve had to succumb to that (I wasn’t going for him at odds on) even though I’ve also backed Grands Crus and Mourad (money back on Long Run and Punchestowns, also previously backed).
It’s weighted so that I’m covered if Big Bucks wins and win if either of the other two win. I haven’t decided who to plump for hook, line and sinker just yet.

Ladbrokes were going 5/4 yesterday granger and Hills have joined them today. It's NRNB with Ladrbokes, but won't be NRNB with Hills until tomorrow.

in my figures
Solwhit has posted 9 times 160 or better and Starluck best effort is a 159.

Starluck has run far fewer races over hurdles than Solwhit. But RPRs have Starluck running to 162 on four occasions. I agree with you about the disparity in ratings between here and Ireland, but can't help feeling it is Solwhit that is flattered due to Hurricane Fly being overrated.

It's a cracking bet. Didn't see your previous posting on it. Be amazed if he goes off anything longer than evens on the day

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with him. It's just that no one has taken anything on him at odds-on.

Although I've taken the 5/4 I'm warming to the idea of Mourad who may be a better bet each-way (or certainly for a place) than BB to win.

Starluck is in no way a better horse than Solwhit.

I say this as a man who probably has more affection for the former, having backed him on a number of occasions.

I'd disagree with that. There's clearly not much in it, but my overwhelming preference would be for the former.

Last edited:
I can't believe you think this, Steve.

Solwhit has won 5 or 6 Grade 1's, including an Aintree Hurdle and a victory over the reigning Champion Hurdler at Punchestown.

Starluck's best victory over hurdles is a class 2 5-runner 4yo hurdle against Classic Swain.

Starluck has an inferior official rating (even allowing for the discrepancy in marks between Ireland and the UK), an inferior topspeed rating, an inferior RPR and an inferior Timeform mark.

Back