Royal Ascot 2015

I'm finding it difficult enough to form a single strong opinion about tomorrow's card.

I'm swinging for the fences in the Queen Anne and backing Cougar Mountain EW. His profile suggests that O'Brien now thinks he is a miler rather than a sprinter and has been "adapting" him to racing at a mile probably with a view to this race. He has buckets to find, but didn't get the clearest run in the Lockinge and we have seen O'Brien horses improve substantially between Lockinge-Queen Anne before. Dead 8 and 40's too big to resist.
Nice one, hope you got the 40's! :)

Thoughts on The Prince Of Wales tomorrow, you lot? :) I'm sticking with Western Hymn as he was my early fancy for the race, but I'd happily take on board other suggestions.

Kurland in the Queen Mary. Taken 16's with PP. Trends show outsiders have a decent record in this race& Martyn Meade has chose this race over the Albany (fillies only) on Friday. Won well at Newmarket back in April.

Last edited:
Thoughts on The Prince Of Wales tomorrow, you lot? :) I'm sticking with Western Hymn as he was my early fancy for the race, but I'd happily take on board other suggestions.

I like The Grey Gatsby. He was very colty in the paddock at the Curragh and I'm hoping first time cheek pieces will help him settle down. The POW has a history of going to 12f horses and I think TGG possibly needs a stiff 10f or further nowadays.

I like The Grey Gatsby. He was very colty in the paddock at the Curragh and I'm hoping first time cheek pieces will help him settle down. The POW has a history of going to 12f horses and I think TGG possibly needs a stiff 10f or further nowadays.

TGG wants a flat out gallop at 10f I reckon (like irish champion last year); think lack of pace beat him on the Curragh (and in Dubai)

Have only glanced at the race tomorrow but not sure of who will provide the pace in the PoW?

I'm going for Ectot to improve a bit more. Have also had a speculative punt on Spielberg, whose form with Gentildonna would put him right there.

I like The GG too but Moore jumping ship worries me though it may just be that he wants to stay loyal to SM Stoute.
Quite betting day tomorrow for me just a small go on Mondialiste in the Hunt Cup.

Have only glanced at the race tomorrow but not sure of who will provide the pace in the PoW?[/QUOTE said:
I think Gailo Chop will set the pace.
I might be wrong but it looks to me TGG's target is later in the year.
I've gone for Spielberg e/w
i also have got a small e/w bet on Devonshire for the Jersey and Acapulco at 16/1 e/w
I think Integral is too short and Frankie's filly is interesting at the prices. Hard to be confident about Rizeena after her last race but she would be dangerous too if she were 100%

I'd say RM has jumped ship, and TGG's cheek pieces are an act of desperation. Be surprised if he's proven wrong.

I've gone for Spielberg e/w
i also have got a small e/w bet on Devonshire for the Jersey and Acapulco at 16/1 e/w
Sadly for you, Marb agrees! Spielberg is a danger to all, including Western Hymn.

I'm keen on Devonshire and I think you've done well getting 16's on Acapulco.

Stoutey's horse...bottom weight, think it's called Munaaser, will win the Royal Cup. :)

If Munaaser doesn't win the Royal Hunt Cup I'll pack the game in. :)

Last edited:
I'd say RM has jumped ship, and TGG's cheek pieces are an act of desperation. Be surprised if he's proven wrong.

I hear ya, and maybe I want to be over bullish because I'm having a poor run, but does it really really matter what a jockey thinks? The tops ones choose the wrong horses all the time.

I'm predicting a decent day for Frankie today.

I know Pricewise has put Hathal up but I do like his form lines thorugh Consort, particularly after yesterday. I'd ignore the class of the prep run given how easily it won. Decent chance for me and will be surprised if doesn't place.

Ayaar has course form and this will always have been the target and again will be surprised if doesn't at least place with a good pace to go at.

Osaila in the last - Some really good form and was a lot closer to a class horse in the guineas then some of the others in this race. People are questioning whether will get the stiff mile but I think has the finishing power to come home if given a good gallop and Frankie can drop her in. Over priced in my eyes.

Going to throw the above in some small multiples with the Grey Gatsby and Rizeena for a bit of small extra interest.

I hear ya, and maybe I want to be over bullish because I'm having a poor run, but does it really really matter what a jockey thinks? The tops ones choose the wrong horses all the time.

I believe RM knows his horses, and he chooses right a lot more often than you or I. :)
Fwiw, the blinds are probably on TGG to sharpen him up, as it's clear he hasn't the gears for all but the stiffest test. SMS has been pretty liberal in allowing Ryan to go where he chooses, and the mere fact that Cannock Chase is stepped up to this company suggests they both mean business.

He needs a trip right enough and that small field event at the Currugh was never going to suit. The POW has a roll call stuffed full of 12f horses though

Gonna give American Hope another chance in the Hunt Cup. The tactics were terrible in the Victoria Cup over 7 - he's a hold up horse who was asked to lead over a trip probably short of his optimum - a recipe for disaster (remember Roaring Forte? He was a Haggas handicapper who was asked for a similar ride in the big International handicap on King George day a few years back - set a strong pace and faded to finish near last. Next time out he won over a mile at York setting sensible fractions. I'm hoping American Hope's trainer bangs a claimer on him and asks for a hold up ride. 25s is too big.

Agreed. The form behind Mange All last year has worked out very well - only 2lbs higher. Good gallop on fast ground over a mile is what the horse seems to want.

I like Fadhayyil and Toscanini in the Jersey - both have shaped as if a good gallop at the trip is what they want (Toscanini should have won the Chesham last year).

Easton Angel looks a pretty serious 2yo filly but the wide draw is off-putting for me, particularly with 2yo's.

Cracking first day. Not sure winners will be so easily to find today.
Moore gave the Mullins horse a great ride yesterday.

Looking forward to the Jersey. Ivawood sets the standard. Looking forward to seeing how Sir Isaac Newton gets on. Still looks like the penny hasn't fully dropped with him yet but think he will run well.
Think Toscanini will run a good race too. Looks a nice enough price.

Will go with Ectot in the big one. Looking forward to seeing Free Eagle back. Pace is key to how TGG gets on here.

If Munaaser doesn't win the Royal Hunt Cup I'll pack the game in. :)

I feel the same about Free Eagle so that's two of us leaving racing! :)

Difficult to see past Ivawood in the Jersey but Fahdayyil will be suited by the 7 furlongs. Was very impressed by Easton Angel at Beverly but low draw could be an issue; at the prices might side with Kurland. I am hoping Rizeena can work her Ascot magic again and think that Sulaalaat will be well suited by a mile in the Sandringham and is way too big at 16's. The Hunt Cup is a minefield as always but expect that American Hope will run a big race from a much better draw than last year when he 'won' the race on the far side in the Britannia.

All that being said, I am in such poor form that you would be well advised to disregard anything I say (although feeling ridiculously confident today for some reason)

Lol PD, I've not been in a great bit of form myself.
What price is this Acapulco going to go off?
I wish I'd taken the price this morning, I fear i'll be getting about 9/4 by the off.

Last edited:
Good day yesterday so don't want to be throwing too much at these today.

Having a double on Ivawood and Integral who look to be worthy favs

Taking a risk on The Grey Gatsby EW not a horse I like but this race looks very winable

Appeared like they couldn't go quick enough for Newton in the Jersey. Denied a run. Onwards and upwards.

Have to feel for TGG, should have won. Though clearly the winner did well to win first time back.

Amusing to see Frankie deny Godolphin in the last to get his 50th Royal Ascot winner especially as james doyle in hitting the horse in the wrong place and failing to pull his whip through had a bit of a Swain moment .

Last edited:
Back