Royal Ascot 2015

I've been punting for 25 years and I've never felt as low as I am now.

Couple of the women at work ask me for tips and I give them out. Told this one lass about TGG and American Hope today. She texts me at half four saying OMG what a race, just watched it. I automatically think TGG has won as you would surely?

No, a heart breaking short head. And then my 25/1 shot is 6th, not 5th for a bit of compensation, 6th.

Not sure the highs that make up for this feeling.

I've been punting for 25 years and I've never felt as low as I am now.

Couple of the women at work ask me for tips and I give them out. Told this one lass about TGG and American Hope today. She texts me at half four saying OMG what a race, just watched it. I automatically think TGG has won as you would surely?

No, a heart breaking short head. And then my 25/1 shot is 6th, not 5th for a bit of compensation, 6th.

Not sure the highs that make up for this feeling.

hey come on Euro..we all get there..and then brush us sens down and get back to feeling up again with a few winners

my only thought is that i would never bet a lot on races like these at Ascot..they are way too competetive to represent real punting killings...you can make money on bread and butter races every other day near on..loads of good opportunities with horses thrown in with lbs in hand.

these meetings are only worth token bets imo...in most races there is very little between the market leaders on ratings and the slightest incident in a race can change a result...there is no one i have ever met who can bet at these meetings with any real confidence

bread and butter races provide bread and butter on the table

Last edited:
I know, but I have a good record overall at Ascot and some of my best wins have been here. At least TGG ran well, it's worse when your selections runs below form.

Only bet tomorrow is The Putting Green in the last. 25s is too big, he's weighted to reverse form with Dartmouth and I can only think his big odds is because Hughes has deserted him for another Hannon inmate. Hopefully he'll be as clueless as Moore was in choosing Cannock Chase today.

Log Out Island is the only true G1 speed figure holder i've seen yet..been waiting to see this one again..has nothing to fear from King Of Rooks imo.

Last edited:
Log Out Island is the only true G1 speed figure holder i've seen yet..been waiting to see this one again..has nothing to fear from King Of Rooks imo.

Couldn't agree more EC1. Been keen since his debut myself and have dropped a few subtle hints that his Ascot win was pretty tidy. Buratino has showed his hand, Gifted Master who was 4th that day is now minus 2 important treasures that sit between his legs and he'll benefit from it, and Handytalk is a solid yardstick too.

So far this Ascot I have backed 4 horses...
3 of them were Air Force Blue, Areen and Always Smile :blink:. The other was GM Hopkins, but not in a single!
I have it doubled with Kick Boxer and Blaine in the Wokingham, win only, looking for jam

I own a tiny share in Lexington Times though, and hope he runs well tomorrow

Anyone considering Cape Clear Island in the second race? He ran well on gd fm last season when winning at Newmarket. Will it stay gd fm even if they turn the taps on?

Last edited:
I was well chuffed taking the 6/4 about King Of The Rocks but it would seem the panel are behind Log Out Island.

WTF do they know :lol:

I have never been much interested in time I'd rather depend on logic and logic tells me King of Rocks is the superior animal.

Buratino is part of the puzzle and I reckon he was no where near as good when beaten by LOI as he was when KOR's beat him

Having only his second race when facing LOI he ran very flat that day but against KOR's he finished very strongly, looked full of promise and would have been a very good winner
without KOR's in the race.

For me KOR's form is the stronger and the one to support.

No denying LOI won well and looked the part. He definitely knew the job but that concerns me.......why 50 days off for a horse who looked so forward?

King of the Rocks wins my vote

I was well chuffed taking the 6/4 about King Of The Rocks but it would seem the panel are behind Log Out Island.

WTF do they know :lol:

I have never been much interested in time I'd rather depend on logic and logic tells me King of Rocks is the superior animal.

Buratino is part of the puzzle and I reckon he was no where near as good when beaten by LOI as he was when KOR's beat him

Having only his second race when facing LOI he ran very flat that day but against KOR's he finished very strongly, looked full of promise and would have been a very good winner
without KOR's in the race.

For me KOR's form is the stronger and the one to support.

No denying LOI won well and looked the part. He definitely knew the job but that concerns me.......why 50 days off for a horse who looked so forward?

King of the Rocks wins my vote

time is logic to me

by using time i earmarked Buratino when he had run once....its on Col's 2yo thread..i said after Chelmsford that that form was better than the Brocklesby form..no one else on the internet mentioned that..how many years is the brocklesby form poor?..very rare..it usually pays to follow..the clock..or clock logic said not this year

Buratino is undoubtedly a fast improving 2yo..i couldn't have him for the coventry..but he has come on since even Epsom..the key being..6f..his beatings are at 5f where he doesn't cope.

Of course this is Ascot..and horses move forward. Log Out Island has been kept for this race...i don't think he has to run every other week to show he is good...his one run..tells you how good he is..KOR is very good clearly..but he hasn't got one run on the clock that is near LOI..even in sectionals you can't spot anything. That don't mean its not there..and of course there is the improvement factor we have seen from such as buratino to contend with

no one can say how much a 2yo will develop from first run..but that was a hell of a first run by LOI..i just go on what they show on the track..nothing is set in stone with 2yo's.

i would rather get stuck into an improving 3yo that has slipped under the radar but on the clock is well in hand of mark..they tend to be better bets than 2yo by some way. A 2yo wins its maiden well..but then its going to run against other useful 2yo's until nurseries start..so you are always going to come up against stumbling blocks in 2yo stakes races

Last edited:
Osaila dug me out of a tues/weds hole really although as EC1 says above, Ascot isn't the event where I bet most money, too many angles to go hard at a few.

Can't see past King of Rooks in the first - all the reasons have bene givne on this forum, just the class horse in the field for me.

Not so Sleepy in the next is over priced and worth a dabble. Form lines through Golden Horn suggest this to me and I don't believe it's finished it's improvement yet

Pleascach again looks the class horse although I do like Curvy - might do the reverse forecast and stick Pleascach and King of Rooks in some multiples.

Bathyrhon - really liked the Longchamp win last time out as a prep run for this.

Yorkshire Dales - form lines through Stravagante and improvement to come from this horse. I like this one and being from God's own country have to back it!

Top weight did it for me in the lucky last yesterday and I'm going top weight again. Rocky Rider is a good horse and I think the 7lb claim of Edward is well worth having a bet on this

Individually I'll be backing the bigger priced ones and throwing the two favourites in some smaller multiples.

Good luck all. x

I couldn't split the front two in the opener and wanted an "interest" bet so backed Log Out Island to £25 with Sky Bet and their offer of a free bet if the favorite wins. Thinking I'd have both running for me but the way the market has been this morning there is an increasing chance that they'll flip-flop :mad:

Charlton just missed out in the Hunt Cup yesterday (another :mad:) and Time Test looks the sort of horse to excel in this race.

It was something of a surprise that Pleasach won the Irish 1,000 dropping back in trip having already been flagged as one likely to prove effective over 12f. Unlike most mile classic winners this looks more her trip rather than arriving with stamina doubts.

Another in the Mizzou camp here as he looks every inch a stayer, seems to have thrived over the winter, should have no problems with the ground and is in great hands. Even without the underfoot conditions I wouldn't be certain that the jolly would have the better of him over this distance.

lol..they took each other on..and burned both their chances..LOI beat KOR though,,so it not all bad news..silly rides from both jocks

R Moore on LOI..only one winner then

Ryan is just awesome this week...best in teh world at this time

Last edited:
The SP of 12/1 indicated the horse had a 7 percent chance of winning, he's won like an odds-on shot, while the two jollies, who were reckoned to have around a 40 percent chance each of winning, have fluffed it.

You couldn't make it up, or maybe you could given the winning trainer and jockey.

Last edited:
i've never seen a jockey dominate Ascot like Ryan has this week Col..its not surprising though..he has a proper clock in his head..always in the right place...top top rider without doubt

I was a big critic yesterday, partly because of the ride he gave Sir Isaace, partly because he would have won on TGG. But that was impressive.

To be fair Moore just had nowhere to go on Sir Isaac Newton. Not sure he had much choice regards the POW. Was he not required to ride the Stoute horse, who he got mullered on by Soumillon.

Last edited:
Moore makes less mistakes than any other jockey..thats why he is the best around...there has not been a jockey born who makes no errors

enjoy him..he is the best since Cauthen and Lester imo..Cauthen was a genius imo

that was seriously impressive from time test..no wonder he peed in last time..jeez.

got a funny story involving Steve Cauthen....in the mid 80's i took my son to nottingham races..he has no interest in racing at all..he was about 13 at the time...we got there early and we saw a helicopter land in middle of course..so i watch two jockeys walk towards stands and recognise SC..so i say to my son..come on you can get steve cauthen's autograph...so both jocks walk by and my son walks up and says..can i have your autograph Steve?..no prob,,he signs his racecard..my son completely ignores the other jock..who was none other than Greville Starkey. It really made me laugh..i put myself in GS's shoes..he was a big name then and had been riding for yonks..and never got asked for his autograph..felt a bit bad for him at teh time tbh.

Back