Royal Ascot 2022

According to the RP they are having a meeting today to determine the future. JG seriously peed off about him missing the week before Ascot (and crucial last work outs) to go to a wedding in Italy following by more time off after Ascot to go on holiday in Sardinia.
A friend in racing inferred that FD was back partaking in his previous habit. No idea how true that is.

According to the RP they are having a meeting today to determine the future. JG seriously peed off about him missing the week before Ascot (and crucial last work outs) to go to a wedding in Italy following by more time off after Ascot to go on holiday in Sardinia.
A friend in racing inferred that FD was back partaking in his previous habit. No idea how true that is.

Regardless of allegations like that, I don't think Golden should be as publically critical as he has been - they are supposed to be a team and it is very poor man management and in my opinion doesn't reflect well on him.

Not to mention appearing to jock Dettori off rides without even bothering to tell him.

But hard to know the truth of it all as we are really only hearing parts of the story.

Surely he'd fail tests?

Surely he'd have seen what happened to Oisin Murphy?

Surely he couldn't be that stupid (or desperate)?

I'd be hugely sorry for him if that were to happen. I know he's an annoying wee shite but he's been brilliant for the sport.

Clearly it should have been dealt with privately. Obviously more to it than just losing some races he could have won.

It's called respect. Irrespective of what John Gosden thinks about Frankie he should handle his business behind closed doors.

Frankie may or may not have overstepped a mark recently. If he did we don't know for certain what it was he did.

We do know for certain that he had a couple of shockers at Ascot though, and whether or not there is other business that Gosden thinks affected that, he's the one that comes out looking poor because of the way he handled himself.

Surely he'd fail tests?

Surely he'd have seen what happened to Oisin Murphy?

Surely he couldn't be that stupid (or desperate)?

I'd be hugely sorry for him if that were to happen. I know he's an annoying wee shite but he's been brilliant for the sport.

If he keeps going on holiday, he won't be being tested and will have enough time to get it out of his system when he is back. I wouldn't be surprised one bit, he's been caught 3 times, how many times has he been lucky and not been caught? Even if not a regular ish habit? Others have been caught once and lost their careers over it, he's been extremely fortunate.

As Jinnyj says, a lot of the time his attitude stinks, and has for years. The difference is now more and more people are witnessing it, as he really thinks he can turn up when he likes as he likes and has a job. I feel sorry for Havlin as he does all the graft and FD gets all the glory. JG wouldn't employ him, Havlin, if he didn't rate him, he could have his pick of 'second' jockeys, so think very unfair to dismiss him as a bad jockey. He can't be that bad for one when he consistently 'hands' over progressive/unbeaten animals for the 'big' races for one.
FD's had it too easy for a while now, thinks the odd flying dismount and giggling at the camera will be enough. When doing things such as the Morning Line, he always looks as if he'd rather be somewhere else, and adds as much as someone who is.

I used to work for someone who employed him , and the rest of the staff in my section universally couldn't stand him , or rated him.

If the trainer has a microphone shoved in front of him immediately after the race and are clearly disappointed, especially if that was the penultimate race for Stradivarius , very very hard to say 'oh well never mind' and why shouldn't he be honest? If he had have said 'oh dear never mind' what would Dettori's view of the race have been? They obviously had spoken as camera with the winner, Ollie doing his 'sorry to interrupt' but isn't routine in the winners' enclosure. I bet a multi pack of curly wurlies that NO way would it have been as it was. He, FD, had nowhere to go knowing JG was peed off, so no way is he going to come out with the opposite analysis of events to the trainer. That would have really made him look as if the same old excuses were being trotted out, and none of it was his fault, but still the ' we got shuffled back' came out - well don't get in the position to be shuffled back Frankie. You do that not the horse. Along with the 'his legs aren't what they were' ... on the list of stock responses he has.

Even if it had been dealt with privately, the minute declarations out and he's not on JGs' horses, the story would have started.
In the days of Fallon, Kinane etc not so much media - there was no Sky/ATR/RUK so less airtime to fill. The advent of cable channels/online has pushed the need to fill airtime with something, seemingly at the expense of actually showing the animals, albeit a lot of it informative and entertaining on occasions.

I'm sure it will all blow over and they'll kiss and make up before too long though. Only a month to the KG...EU has to turn up for that surely?

Havlin is mainly there to educate the 2yr olds and rarely gets a big race ride

This split has been brewing for 12 months

The ride on Stradivarius in last years Gold Cup
Palace Pier in the QEII
Emily Upjohn in the Oaks
And the Royal Ascot **** ups last week

His ride on Pyledriver in the Sheema Classic was appalling. A gap appeared at the perfect moment and he hesitated....

He should be riding with an allowance, he's gone at the game...

If he keeps going on holiday, he won't be being tested and will have enough time to get it out of his system when he is back.

I thought they had tests that detected 'stuff' for months after it had been taken?

If such a rumour can make it here, surely it will already have made it to the authorities' security department and a hair sample could be analysed. (Or they could send one off to France.)

Last edited:
If he keeps going on holiday, he won't be being tested and will have enough time to get it out of his system when he is back. I wouldn't be surprised one bit, he's been caught 3 times, how many times has he been lucky and not been caught? Even if not a regular ish habit? Others have been caught once and lost their careers over it, he's been extremely fortunate.

As Jinnyj says, a lot of the time his attitude stinks, and has for years. The difference is now more and more people are witnessing it, as he really thinks he can turn up when he likes as he likes and has a job. I feel sorry for Havlin as he does all the graft and FD gets all the glory. JG wouldn't employ him, Havlin, if he didn't rate him, he could have his pick of 'second' jockeys, so think very unfair to dismiss him as a bad jockey. He can't be that bad for one when he consistently 'hands' over progressive/unbeaten animals for the 'big' races for one.
FD's had it too easy for a while now, thinks the odd flying dismount and giggling at the camera will be enough. When doing things such as the Morning Line, he always looks as if he'd rather be somewhere else, and adds as much as someone who is.

I used to work for someone who employed him , and the rest of the staff in my section universally couldn't stand him , or rated him.

If the trainer has a microphone shoved in front of him immediately after the race and are clearly disappointed, especially if that was the penultimate race for Stradivarius , very very hard to say 'oh well never mind' and why shouldn't he be honest? If he had have said 'oh dear never mind' what would Dettori's view of the race have been? They obviously had spoken as camera with the winner, Ollie doing his 'sorry to interrupt' but isn't routine in the winners' enclosure. I bet a multi pack of curly wurlies that NO way would it have been as it was. He, FD, had nowhere to go knowing JG was peed off, so no way is he going to come out with the opposite analysis of events to the trainer. That would have really made him look as if the same old excuses were being trotted out, and none of it was his fault, but still the ' we got shuffled back' came out - well don't get in the position to be shuffled back Frankie. You do that not the horse. Along with the 'his legs aren't what they were' ... on the list of stock responses he has.

Even if it had been dealt with privately, the minute declarations out and he's not on JGs' horses, the story would have started.
In the days of Fallon, Kinane etc not so much media - there was no Sky/ATR/RUK so less airtime to fill. The advent of cable channels/online has pushed the need to fill airtime with something, seemingly at the expense of actually showing the animals, albeit a lot of it informative and entertaining on occasions.

I'm sure it will all blow over and they'll kiss and make up before too long though. Only a month to the KG...EU has to turn up for that surely?

I understand and agree with just about everything you say........Nice to see someone thinking before they post for a change

So Gosden criticised Gianfranco in public, so what?

Todays newspaper is tomorrows toilet roll.

Public criticism eh...can you imagine being Boris Johnson at the moment...

Last edited:
This bit "He wouldn't have won that Gold Cup and time will prove that".

No two races are the same. One is progressive and the other is not.

So time won't prove that a 118 horse wasn't good enough at Ascot. Sure.

Last edited:
So time won't prove that a 118 horse wasn't good enough at Ascot. Sure.

Come on now that's hardly an argument.

Simple math is he lost more ground/momentum stuck behind horses in a slow run race than he was beaten by.

Come on now that's hardly an argument.

Simple math is he lost more ground/momentum stuck behind horses in a slow run race than he was beaten by.

Races aren't run on simple math. The winner was comfortable at the line.

Last edited:
I think Frankie might be at fault for several things but the Strad thing he was unlucky.

Could it be argued the horse really should have been retired by now and actually has ran a similiar race two years in a row in that Ascot Gold Cup..i.e not alert enough early starting off in nearly last position before a late rally in the final furlong or two? They ran him in an Arc..talk about being experimental...

Last edited:
Races aren't run on simple math. The winner was comfortable at the line.

At the line absolutely yes. The race was lost going inside the 3 until he got out. Not just the ground/momentum lost pulling him out but he wasn't able to stretch him out just like the winner and 2nd were asked too inside the 3. If Frankie had clear air he would have hit the front entering the 1 pole. Would Kyprios have run him down, well we will never know. I wish we could have seen it.

Gosden has every right to be extremely upset, and his dad (whom he often fondly refers to) would have been similarly upset, yet would have kept his counsel. Maybe he should think more about Towser.

Back