Royal Ascot Day 1

I hope Goldikova beats him but I couldn't back her with any confidence at the prices. He's a serious miler but I just keep thinking what a shame Makfi was retired the more I see of him. I backed Cape Blanco EW at 3 places Antepost and I suspect he'll finish 3rd and may even finish closer than people think. O'Brien is no mug in this race.

I think there's every chance there won't be a European horse in the frame in the King's Stand. Star Witness, Bridgetown and Sweet Sanette all have very good form and whilst the HK filly would be the biggest winner for me having backed her at 33s, I think the Oz horse will win easily. I'd be tempted to go in again at 9/2.

I just have a weird feeling that Frankel will get beat, horses that put performances in like he did at Newmarket are always vulnerable. There is not one poor EW bet in the race but I'm going with Grand Prix Boss to turn him over, the race will be run to suit and he'll be on the scene late under his shrewd jockey.

Italo wins the Coventry, 16/1 is massive. Fast becoming the best bet of the day the more I watch his Longchamp win back, showed loads of pace over 5f there but looked every an inch a 6f horse despite his speed.

Canford is a lay for me if there's any soft in the ground - I'm convinced he'll only show his best on good fast or firm ground - we'll find out tomorrow and like you I can't wait.

Put it this way, I won't be using the going as an excuse for him. The going won't be an excuse for any of them... it'll all be fine and dandy.

We'll be over the top in a few hours. Good luck everyone... come home safely.;)

Anyone thinking of laying Canford should remember George Washington in the QEII.

He was good that day wasn't he, contrary to expectations about the going. The QE II and the Guineas proved what an excellent colt he was. Soft side or fast side when he was good he was very good.

The going will be near perfect later today anyway.

Anyone who can should upload the FREE Royal Ascot app to their iPhone/iTouch - its updated during the day with going changes, nrs etc - just got the official going change sent so as at 7am its officially GOOD, GOOD TO SOFT in places.

I agree re GP Boss - theres no value in the "star" faces so its playing for places and getting a return for me today. Done two patents, as the opener only pays first 2 and I cant see past Goldi and Cliffs but if pushed have posted my options:

2.30 - CITYSCAPE (playing for the place) (Winner - Canford Cliffs)

3.05 - ASTROPHYSICAL JET (backed in patent) (alternative Monsieur Chevalier)

3.45 - GRAND PRIX BOSS (playing for the place) (Winner - Frankel)

4.25 - ROMAN SOLDIER (backed in patent) (Alternative - GATEPOST even it its burdened with Spencer!)

5.00 - PLYMOUTH ROCK (backed in patent)

5.35 - BEAR BEHIND (will back if anything above wins me some money!)

8:24am
Word from the clerk
Clerk of the course Chris Stickels said: "We've had a dry night and the going has improved, I'd say it is good, good to soft in places at the moment and the GoingStick readings are 9.2 on the stands side, 9.6 in the centre and 9.0 on the far side, while the round course is 8.1. We are forecast a bright, sunny day with temperatures around 22C to 23C."

Am a big Canford fan but cannot bring myself to back him with any mention of soft in the going. Was going to lump on a double with Frankel @ around 7/2but am going to leave it slide in favour of the aussie sprinter Star Witness ew first 4 11/2 with Powers. Will have a little tickle on Italo and and ew double on SW and Zitago in the 2m4f handicap. He was very impressive the last day.

All those so sweet on CC, does the phrase been there, done that, got the T shirt not sound familiar regarding the mare?

Very sweet. No bet for me but quite the better horse. Enjoyed that

Cityscape could be quite something in soft ground in the autumn

Well done to Steve and EC, you've been sweet on this horse for a long time and you've got just reward.

I still think what might have been with Makfi, I thought his beating of Goldikova was because of the ground but I'm starting to think not.

Well done to Steve and EC, you've been sweet on this horse for a long time and you've got just reward.

I still think what might have been with Makfi, I thought his beating of Goldikova was because of the ground but I'm starting to think not.

I think that is the hardest race CC has had Stan..there was just a moment a furlong out when it could have gone either way

G is such a consistent horse..unbeleiveably so

you think G is better later in the year..i would love them to meet again..it could get get even better then..and that was a pretty impressive race to watch

I do think that CC just beats what in front of him..and Hughes never fully rides him out..hence he nevr gets big ratings

what a standard for the rest of teh meeting to keep up to

Gutted.

Thought Sweet Sanette had that won 1/2f out.

3 of the front 4 not trained in the UK or Ireland. Overdose shows he is up to this level after all.

Back