Royal Ascot

Not sure whether to write about Murtagh on this thread or the Arse Cup one. Riding an out and out stayer that isn't settling so just sits there, does nothing and allows his chance to slowly but surely ebb away.

Think he would have won with a proper tow; though why Jamie held Fame And Glory up, in a race run at a snail's pace, escapes me completely.

I bet the owners of Crius are pissed off. A runner at Royal Ascot isn't something that happens very often, never for most people, and Richard Hughes disgraced their horse. What was he doing?

Looked if the horse may have had a bit of a problem, Simon, Hughes stopped riding quite quickly.

Anyone back energiser, shouldn't think there will be a battery of people waiting to be paid out.

Very happy with that run from Stipulate. The best each way bet I'll have I think.
Ran right up to form but relieved to see it beat! Must admit, I thought Energiser's OR was a tad generous but he was the best horse in the race. I hate blaming Queally every time one of his got beat but it looks like he was riding to set it up for Stipulate.

No, just went too fast (as he often does).

You wouldn't see Frankie or Ryan Moore ride from the front at Royal Ascot like that. Unfortunately ammunition for those who slate Queally (there is a middle ground I think; he's usually competent, but no more than that).

Ascot 5.35
(Norm 124)
Open Water 120p
Fennell Bay 120p
Rougemont 118
Niceofyoutotellme 118? +
Pilgrims Rest 118P
Samba King 117p
Prussian 117p
Misdemeanour 117+?
Ghost Protocol 116+?
Uriah Heep 115?
Handsome Man 115p
Sparkling Portrait 114p
Anomaly 114?
Rocktherunway 114
Gabrial The Great 114p
Cameron Highland 113?
Commitment 112
Moldowney 112o p
Nicholascopernicus 108+p

This is another race that has been good to me down the years. The draw doesn’t seem an issue so no point in worrying about it. Again, the nature of the race dictates that it is chock full of improvers but I suggest Pilgrims Rest is on the steepest curve so he’s the main bet. Open Water comes from the top handicap at Epsom won by Wrotham Heath (see previous race) while Fennell Bay’s 4lb penalty leaves him 5lbs better in than in future races and we know what Johnston horses can do once they hit a curve. Those are my three against the field but I can’t imagine anything else being labelled a surprise winner; it’s so tight.

Last edited:
I have a short list of 5, Gabriel The Great, Fennell Bay, Handsome Man, Sparkling Portrait & Niceofyoutotellme, supporters of any other horse should take heart that I have backed 4 seconds, a third & 5th in the other 5 races.

I have a short list of 5, Gabriel The Great, Fennell Bay, Handsome Man, Sparkling Portrait & Niceofyoutotellme, supporters of any other horse should take heart that I have backed 4 seconds, a third & 5th in the other 5 races.

Right in the mix there SteveT well done.

well done DO..jt top rated wins for you

well..OTB..really pleased for you..you've had it hard for a while but you seem to be turning the corner this week..well done mate:cool:

I think Opinion Poll tired a small bit but but incredibly game.

I don't want to pocket talk again I really don't but he was too far behind as they swung into the straight again. He got to the lead but had expended so much energy that he couldn't repel the winner.

Back