Royal Ascot

Integral is shorter and I cannot fathom why. Esoterique will love the track.

The Jersey is the flat equiv of the Cheltenham Bumper for me. Avoid at all costs.

I assumed Sky Lantern would be clear fav when they priced this up. Suppose the penalty she has reflects that.
That aside, I think the fact Integral has had a run could make the difference. She was beaten last time by the French horse, but she too was match fit. Though she certainly does add a bit more spice to it.

I doubt it will be as soft as most are assuming. I expect it to dry out significantly on Monday and Tuesday. It is Good in the straight already, standside, centre and farside, the only yielding places at the moment are on the round course and these should dry up in the coming day or two.

I'm seeing prices of 6/4 about leading Light?

His win in the Queens Vase over Fell Like Dancing at 2 miles doesn't even come close to being good enough. Granted he's a St Leger winner but despite having won at 10f when he ran in the Arc he was totally outclassed and beaten by over 12 lengths in the end.

Fame and Glory won this for AOB but he was a class above this horse IMO. At the price I couldn't have him.

The consistent and tough Tac De Boistron EW looks a much better proposition.

Night of Thunder ran sideways in the last furlong of the 2000 Guineas and still managed to beat Kingman by a long looking 1/2 length. He wasn't stopping, he gave Kingman a head start, he acts well on softish ground, he's got the, if not better due to age, more experienced jockey on board, he's had longer to recover and improve than Kingman.

He's not fav ?

It would seem we refuse to believe our own eyes and it's all down to the fact that Night of Thunder was a 40/1 shot in the Guineas and Kingman was a strong 6/4 favourite therefor it must have been a fluke or a one off.

I doubt if it was a fluke and this should be a very close run thing.

I was in his camp after the Guineas and can understand why Kingman is favourite. If ridden to perfection he should be able to pick Night of Thunder off with his excellent turn of foot.

The only problem is.......Fallon!!!! backing against him in a race as tight as this should be goes against the grain

At the prices Night of Thunder looks the more sensible bet.

Nap of the meeting has to be The Wow Signal

By the time they had gone 3 furlongs at Ayr, still not having been asked a thing by Makin, he had all at full stretch bar one and he only lasted another 1/2 furlong before he too was flat to the boards. Makin gave him a light back hander and he was gone in a flash and there was a lot more left in the tank had he needed it.

Either he showed slight signs of greenness, holding his head to the markedly to the right or it's just a trait of his.

If it was a bit of greenness then an ever better performance could be on the cards.

John Quinn has been up this path before when he sent the unlucky Red Duke for The Group 2 Vintage Stakes at Goodwood with Fallon on board. Fallon got himself into all sots of bother and probably should have won.

So John Quinn knows the time of day and what's required. He also knows this horse would pick up Red Duke the 2yo and carry him.

There's massive confidence that this horse will prove the 50K John's son Sean paid for the horse is money well spent when he picks up a nice 68k tomorrow

I won't be picking up 68K if he wins but I'll manage a coupe of bottles of Dom Perignon if he does :0).

Will have my fingers crossed for connections and if he wins who knows where he could end up.

His sire Starspangledbanner, who is doing exceptionally well as a sire, never won beyond 6f but his dam's half brother won at distances from 8f up to 2 miles in heavy going so who knows ???

All pie in the sky at the moment but fingers crossed this horse is as good as they think he is.

The Wow Signal (Nap) 13/2

Last edited:
Fallon won't be on Night of Thunder. Hughes is.

I assumed from the fact Fallon was jocked up last night he would be.

Sort of throws the cat among the pigeons a bit.

Hughsie was his usual guilty self yesterday with taking it too easy on a maiden who was caught on the line for 3rd and had place punters tearing their har out.

Then he got stuffed by his own stablemate on a fav after overexagerated waiting tactics.

Despite that I'm a big Hughsie fan but for me Fallon's stength was the deciding fator on this occasion.

However the very fact he's chosen Night of Thunder and come off his Guineas preference may mean he's thought to have improved since the Guineas.

I'll stick with him and hope he can pull it off.

If you can’t back Kingman don’t bet against him. You’re throwing money away. Kingman is a classic speed miler in the mould of a Shamardal or a Canford Cliffs.

Note that if it is on the fast side of good by Thursday Marco Botti’s Tac De Boistron is unlikely to line up.

Queen Anne - Which ever way I look at this I just think Toronado will be too good for these. The O'Brien raider is interesting but if Toronado is remotely close to his best then he should win imo.

Coventry - I have to be against the fav War Envoy here. Though not easy to find the one to be against him with as there are a few with chances. Narrowed my two down to Adaay and Cappella Sansevero. Probably just siding with Adaay.

King Stand's - Hot Streak gets the nod for me here. Sole Power and Shea Shea look the obvious dangers to me.

SJP - Can't wait for this race. Kingman is getting my vote here. Doyle needs to hang on to him for as long as possible though. I can see the arguments for NOT though.
I also expect to see War Command improve a ton and wouldn't surprise me to see him get much closer.
Throw in Toormore and Outstrip who could run much better than at Newmarket.

Ascot Stakes - No idea

Windsor Castle - Mind Of Madness for me here. Can just see the American raider bolting and teeing this up for Mind Of Madness. Would be nice to see Adaay run well earlier to give the form a boost.

Who are we all liking tomorrow?

Hard to see where the pace is coming from in the SJP, and if that obtains Kingman should blow in. However, given a stern enough test, I'd expect him not to last home.
In the King's Stand, Ahtoug has improved a lot since last year, and - though he's almost 3 times their price - already has a couple of decisions over Sole Power and Shea Shea this season.

Hard to see where the pace is coming from in the SJP, and if that obtains Kingman should blow in. However, given a stern enough test, I'd expect him not to last home.
In the King's Stand, Ahtoug has improved a lot since last year, and - though he's almost 3 times their price - already has a couple of decisions over Sole Power and Shea Shea this season.
wouldn't be surprised to see toormoore go on and make it a decent gallop if nothing else does

I agree regards Toormore. I think he will ensure there is no messing about here.

Toormore may well go on as he’s prone to taking a keen hold and it’s probably as well not to frustrate him. But make no mistake he’ll be running in his own right and not as some tow into the race for NoT.

However the very fact he's chosen Night of Thunder and come off his Guineas preference may mean he's thought to have improved since the Guineas.

Wasn't the word on Guineas day that Hughes thought Night Of Thunder had a real shout but didn't want to come off his own impressive trial winner because if he had and it had won he'd have looked a bit silly?

I seem to remember that was the case......he'll want a real strong gallop similar to the Guineas perhaps Like Frankel and co have suggested Toormore will provide that. They certainly wouldn't be wanting to play cat and mouse with Kingsman which would be suicidal

Last edited:
Jack dexter and rex in the king stand for me tomorrow. Have not seen the best of them yet esp jack dexter and i fancy one or both to run well. kingman for me over the hannon horse as i feel he is made of sterner stuff. gl everyone.

Last edited:
Coral are going four places in the Kings Stand. That was enough to lure me into taking Ahtoug each-way (14/1).

Maybe the World Cup is a distraction but I can't get into Royal Ascot just yet the way I'd normally do.

And I'm gutted to see the Hunt Cup as late as 5pm. It should be one of the feature races of the day.

Last edited:
On course Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this year. Look forward to seeing the usual suspects. The rest of you be lucky...

What's the deal with all these two year olds that changed hands yesterday? Do they run in their new owners' colours tomorrow?

Back