Royal Ascot

B^gger. Backed stablemate Alben Star (win, one of four against the field). Thought Hanagan went too soon but maybe that's my pocket talking.

I will be very surprised if Telescope wins the King George
I think he run to his absoulte best and I have a figure for him in 123

Pique Sous at odds against to beat Tiger Cliff is my idea of a decent bet in the last-I thought the Alan King horses have run fairly flat during the week and Willie is an absolute legend.

Willie Mullins appeared very hopeful in an RUK interview -Alan King appeared nervous and evasive.Decent bet for me.

Indeed.
Great to see Sir Ml Stoute do what he does best: let horses improve with age without rushing them.
Ditto for John Gosden.
Ireland has a surfeit of sprinters and stayers not seen in my lifetime.
Given there are few 2 mile races and no Grade 1 sprint races this is some achievement.
Edward Lynam a revelation these past few seasons thanks primarily to Sole Power and the effect of Roasted Flax Seeds on his performance since July 2010.
Melbourne Cup hopefuls a plenty with Pique Sous, Missunited, Brown Panther Arab Spring among others.
As for Gok Wan, I personally cannot wait for Gok 2, How Racehorses Can Look Good Naked !

great week of racing

Agreed!
Clerks Of Courses come in for a lot of stick on racing forums, but - despite 1/2 an inch of unforecast rain last weekend - Chris Stickels has again produced fast, fair, even ground for the whole of the meeting, and it's been reflected in the results.
If only there were more like him.

Natural rain is much better at producing proper going than watering.
Thankfully the rain came early enough to put a halt to watering for a while while high temperatures did its drying job well.
Credit where it is due all the same Reet so well done Mr Stickels.

Nice to see Telescope win nicely as expected.
Hopefully both he and Eagle Top line up in KG.

What are the rules/conventions/whatever regarding advertising on silks at this meeting?

I noticed only one or two in the later races during the week but instead of the normal 50%+ of a field of jockeys wearing adverts of some sort as far as I can see the first two winners today have been the only ones to do so.

It's not advertising as such but sponsorship - standard ones being SIS and
Tattersalls with some owners preferring to sponsor their own or trainers who sponsor their own runners. The sponsorship structure of the race is what dictates wether sponsorship can be worn on the silks or not. Ascot and most classics tend to have headline sponsors.

Is there any chance Taghrooda takes in the King George?

I read that John Gosden said he had put her in but it would make more sense to run her in the Irish Oaks against her own sex.

At the same time he as to decide whether he'll run the Fugue in the Prince of Wales against the colts and whether to ask the owners to pay up and run Eagle Top in the King George.

Not a bad problem to have as he has every chance of winning all 3.

If the ground is quick he should stick The Fugue in the KG. I think he mentioned big races in the autumn for Eagle Top. Not sure he'll stick Taghrooda in open Grade 1's just yet.

Just typing this out makes me realise how well handed Gosden is this year. Couldn't happen to a better trainer though. Top man.

What was the highlight of the week for everyone?

Mine personally was the Gold Cup, what a cracking race.
Also happy to see Clive Britain doing his jiggy wiggy.

I have to agree the Gold Cup was the best I have seen in years with Missunited really boxing above her weight.
Ryan Moore s ride on Pique Sous was something to behold.

Back