Ryanair Chase 2016

I've backed Sir Des Champs this evening at a shade over 33/1 on Betfair.

Vautour won't go.
Smad is to slow
Vroum Vroum Mag will go over hurdles
Sound Investment is a handicapper

Which basically leaves Road To Riches, Valseur Lido and Al Ferof to contend with - and the first-named pair are in the same ownership as SDC.

I still think RTR will be one of Giggi's Gold Cup battalion, so run a line through him, Mullins reckons VL wants to go up in trip not down, so run a line through him too - and you're left with Al Ferof, who is hard to win with generally (unless you're backing him ante-post for the PPGC at three-figure prices ;)).

Sir Des Champs is a JLT winner, and has nothing to beat in this race. Job done.

Last edited:
He actually went for Valseur Lido as the headline DG - but does also suggest CW and applies the same stake to both; 1pt win @ 14/1 and 25/1 respectively.

Nice horse and I can see why, especially as it could cut up. Just not sure he will deffo run here.

He'll need a run, and where they send him next will tell you which route they plan for the Festival. I think the SAC is more likely, but if they happened to drop him in a hurdle somewwhere get on for the handicap chase fast.

Champagne West entered in the big handicap at the weekend. Still not sure it tells us anything though. If he goes up even a couple of lbs for his performance on Saturday you'd have to say they'd be forced to go the Ryanair route. In fact the more I look at it the more I think he's no option whatever happens as he's pretty certain to be top weight for the handicap on day one anyway.

The day one handicap would be a tough assignment alright. Likely top weight and it would be his first attempt at 3m over fences. Didn't get home for me in the spud race a couple of years ago so I'd agree they'll probably have no option other than the Ryanair with Champagne West

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Ferof is entered in 2 races and he ain't going gold cuppin.

He is a knocking ew bet at the price get your sheckles on.

Take away what might not run and he is just about fav. for the race and he seems to have got over his flatspotitis.

Now is probably the time time to bet on the Ryanair Chase.
Smad Place likely to go for the Gold Cup now after that and you'd have to think Vatour more likely to go for the Gold Cup after Djak falling.

I have done both gigginstown horses each way nrnb ,,Road To Riches 6/1 and Vaseur Lido 12/1

I took 50s on Champagne West a while ago. What is the ******* point.

Back to square one with him judging by his jumping today. It's a miracle he got as far as he did. His hurdles mark is probably looking appealing right now.

The market for Smad Place in this race is something to behold. He's 10's with PP but only 3/1 with Ladbrokes!!

Last edited:
smad confirmed for GC. djakadam's mishap yesterday makes vautour even more likely for the big one. it's almost hard not to find value in this market.

al ferof at 12s with 888 is excellent.

smad confirmed for GC. djakadam's mishap yesterday makes vautour even more likely for the big one. it's almost hard not to find value in this market.

al ferof at 12s with 888 is excellent.

He's a frustrating horse, always finds one or two too good. TBH though when you look down the list it's just one animal after another who are short of top class. One of them has to win I suppose!

You'd think so, especially as could be the weakest festival Grade 1 ever, but am really struggling to find anything....

Road to Riches might be the one but reckon only 25/30% chance he runs
Love him, but can't have Al Ferof at 11
Dynaste? Nope
Keep going through the list and putting lines through them
What about Sound Investment to make the step up to listed class. Rated 160 with decent C&D form. Might have talked myself into him...

Gigi just have to send RTR for this. I had a speculative bet a few weeks ago, and I'm becoming more and more confident that it's the way they'll go.

Gigi just have to send RTR for this. I had a speculative bet a few weeks ago, and I'm becoming more and more confident that it's the way they'll go.

You would've thought so but Meade really wants him in the Gold Cup. I'm sure I read somewhere that he's only in the Ryanair because O'Leary said to enter him. Question is, who will get their way?

Would love to be a fly on the wall if Meade is told we want him in Ryanair. I mean, I know what response they would get from me.

You'd think so, especially as could be the weakest festival Grade 1 ever, but am really struggling to find anything....

Road to Riches might be the one but reckon only 25/30% chance he runs
Love him, but can't have Al Ferof at 11
Dynaste? Nope
Keep going through the list and putting lines through them
What about Sound Investment to make the step up to listed class. Rated 160 with decent C&D form. Might have talked myself into him...
Sound Investment should be 25s plus
I'm confident Valseur Lido has a leading chance and I've added Vibrato Valtat who I think will be better served being held up over this sort of trip than pace chasing two milers.
I'll be mad as **** if Gigi stick R2R in the race.

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk

I'd be very surprised to see RTR line up here
Sure it's Gigi's own race but surely the GC is more important and that they have as many top class darts as possible to fire at the big one.

Al Ferof and Ma Filleule would be the interest for me in this race, both usually jump well and have form around Cheltenham. Ma Filleule was given 2 hurdles runs to start her campaign, flopped at Ascot but then won over 20f at Donny and I think she'll be one of those staying on up the hill as others falter. Al Ferof looked well at Huntingdon and the 3rd to Cue Card at Kempton looks strong form in this weak race where half the front of the market won't line up.

Vibrato Valtat is of interest to me as well, only for the fact he's one of the few that's definitely being aimed at this race. Unless one of Vautour or R2R turns up it's going to a really poor quality field.

Back