Scoop 6 - 22nd November

betsmate

At the Start
Stodge - if you are reading this, then there are about five million reasons why we are looking forward to one of your Lingfield previews!

I can't believe that the races included in the bet are comprised largely from two frankly provincial meetings. There are decent jump races on yet the Nanny are trying to capture the imagination of the public by using dross races?

I can't believe that the races included in the bet are comprised largely from two frankly provincial meetings. There are decent jump races on yet the Nanny are trying to capture the imagination of the public by using dross races?

I'm no fan of the A/W but have you seen the state of that chase at Huntingdon? I would make half of the runners at Lingfield odds-on favourites in it.

It's a C4 thing, I assume?

I don't think so, the place element gives the E/W safety net that attracts many small stakes punters.

Actually I was thinking of the win fund/bonus fund thing, but I'd still be on the side of one big fund and one way of winning it.

Ah I see. Yeah the bonus fund has always seemed a bit of a PR stunt to me (which I guess it is). Does it actually make the Scoop6 less popular though?

Two of the Lingfield contests are listed races and one is a 0-100, which wont matter a jot to the public and lets face it, who spunked all their cash when the racing wasnt so 'dross' ? Everybody!

Desperate, isn't it?

They've used BBC races before, Gareth. This week, as has happened before, both BBC and Ch4 are covering racing from Ascot. Madness.

Oh, do us a favour, UG. The racing from Lingfield - much like most AW racing, especially at this time of the year - is utter crap.

No I wont come off it. Two of the Lingfield contests are listed races and one is a 0-100

These are higher quality races than most of the national hunt options.

Who spunked all their cash when the racing wasnt so 'utter crap' ? Everybody!

Bollocks - the AW at this time of year is full of shite that wasn't good enough to run in listed races in the season proper. It has no place at this time of year - if they're not good enough to run in listed races in the season proper, don't run the yaks now either, put them in a bloody field or sell them as riding ponies.

Bollocks - the AW at this time of year is full of shite that wasn't good enough to run in listed races in the season proper. It has no place at this time of year - if they're not good enough to run in listed races in the season proper, don't run the yaks now either, put them in a bloody field or sell them as riding ponies.

It is better than the desperate summer jumps racing that flat fans are subjected to every year!! So tough!!:p

I agree. In France the big punting event for the 'grand public' several times a week is the tierce quarte quinte plus race. These races attract all the punditry and broadcast media attention to the complete exclusion of every other race taking place. This wasn't how it used to be but that's how it is now, as racing has in France has become a victim of the success of the TQQ+.

These races are always handicaps, usually decent ones admittedly and nearly always higly competitive. During the flat season there are only two exceptions, the Prix du Jockey Club and the Arc. The rest of the year the Bookie Dash or the Layers' Scramble is the race of the day and to hell with the Oaks or the Ascot Gold Cup or the Champion Stakes.

This might have worked in the short term, after all the TQQ+ is a very successful money spinner for French racing, but the long term effect has been to marginalise the higher class racing in favour of a betting lottery.

And most annoying Grey is that the TQQ+ is the only race that is free to view on the PMU website...

Thank you Grey - nice to see a voice of reason!

UG - bog off, I'll deal with you later!!!!! :p

Gal/Gareth, yes, I think there are a shedload of yaks running on the AW that wouldn't still be involved in the sport if they were any good. Listed races at this time of year? Why aren't they good enough to run in listed races during the season proper, that's what I want to know?

Teach 'em serpentine loops and coming down on the bridle, that's about all they're useful for, to sell them on as riding ponies.

Right we're going heavy on the scoop six again this week. About twenty of us put in 2.5k each of last two weeks. got a good bit back the first week on the place element so we weren't that far away from winning it. Last week was not so clever.

So this week I've been conentrating on the two national hunt races and I think they are both down to three or four horses than can improve (difficult thing to say when you're looking at the Huntingdon hurdle). At Haydock I think the Nicholls horse looks good. Would normally be one to leave one of his out.....we left them all out last week. But this is not one of his hype horses. I like Glasker Hill but not sure if today is the day. And can't leave out the stable in form, NTD, and put in Naunton Brook. I was going to suggest Passol also but am happy now to leave him out. In the Huntingdon race, I quite fancy House of Bourbon on his Irish form. Three miles should suit. That Acosta was leading to the 7th on his second last run and won well last time so might be in good form and Heathcliff has changed stables and the step up in trip will def suit him although not sure how much driving they will do on his first run so may leave him out. And in the last at Lingfield the fast pace should set it up for the fav and Bonus.

So that's 18 units so far which gives us a fighting chance with the other three camel races!!

Good luck everyone

Last edited:
Still alive; wanted Mon Mome in our syndicate but outvoted so happy to see the winner hang on. Darkness would have been a stunner!

Back