Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

The betting market seems to be taking the view that if STS doesn't run neither will Mastercraftsman.

well there is a surprise he was in , in case the ground was fast . In which case they knew F & G would get stuffed and look slow hence he would not run !:lol:

well there is a surprise he was in , in case the ground was fast . In which case they knew F & G would get stuffed and look slow hence he would not run !:lol:

What is the difference in being stuffed because you cannot handle fast ground and being stuffed because you cannot handle soft ground?

Would there be any need for Fame and Glory to run, whats he going to prove by beating the likes of Casual Conquest and horses he see's every day at home

They need him to win a 10f Group 1 . This is why he was saved for this race and it was canny - they are always desperate to do it with their middle distance horses for stud value . Look at poor Galileo a truly brilliant 12f horse who ran his last two races over the unsuitable trip and then on an unsuitable surface as well .

They knew that he would have no chance with STS on fast and that there was a very good chance it would be too soft for STS on Saturday .

What is the difference in being stuffed because you cannot handle fast ground and being stuffed because you cannot handle soft ground?

F & G can handle fast ground - he just cannot handle STS on it . I think he is capable of similar form on fast and soft- STS evidently isn't. It is the one flaw in STS.

They need him to win a 10f Group 1 . This is why he was saved for this race and it was canny - they are always desperate to do it with their middle distance horses for stud value . Look at poor Galileo a truly brilliant 12f horse who ran his last two races over the unsuitable trip and then on an unsuitable surface as well .

They knew that he would have no chance with STS on fast and that there was a very good chance it would be too soft for STS on Saturday .

I agree with every point you've made but would the stud value not incorporate a weak field and the no show of Sea The Stars? Fame and Glory definatly needs to meet Sea The Stars before the end of the season what would you say to the Champion Stakes at Newmarket? last year it was run on decent ground.

Well does he need to meet STS again ? If he wins the ICS and Breeders Cup Turf say he will be worth a mint

Last year over 45 millimetres of rain fell on the track on Friday and the meeting was postponed from Saturday to Sunday where the ground had improved to Yielding.

The track can dry out fairly fast and given the weather forecast I would not be ready to give up on STS showing up on Saturday. His price looks very tempting at the moment at over 7/1.

Last year over 45 millimetres of rain fell on the track on Friday and the meeting was postponed from Saturday to Sunday where the ground had improved to Yielding.

The track can dry out fairly fast and given the weather forecast I would not be ready to give up on STS showing up on Saturday. His price looks very tempting at the moment at over 7/1.

I was about to say the very same thing regarding last year....Oxx is due to walk the course in the morning. Hope he sees enough to declare him to run and wait and see.

the first one suggests you are a plodder..the second one suggests you have speed

I wonder which one is favoured in the current breeding climate :rolleyes:

It all depends on what the ground is given as tomorrow morning - how bad did the rain get into the ground basically.

The forecast for tomorrow and Friday is for mainly dry weather with the odd shower (could be a heavy one though) - the major factor could be the wind - if they miss the bad showers the forecast is for pretty much ideal drying weather - sunny spells with a strong wind.

Surely it all depends on Oxx and whatever ground is given won't really make a jot of difference. He's been around long enough now to know that a clerk will try and declare as positively as he can, and he's more than capable of forming his own opinion.

Surely it all depends on Oxx and whatever ground is given won't really make a jot of difference. He's been around long enough now to know that a clerk will try and declare as positively as he can, and he's more than capable of forming his own opinion.

If the ground is given as "yielding to soft" and it is "yielding to soft" when Oxx walks the track tomorrow morning - then I think it makes it pretty damn important compared to the possibility of it being soft, soft to heavy in places...

Leopardstown and Tom Burke have been straight up with the ground from a full week and a half ago (as our own Sheikh can confirm having walked the track after expressing doubts about the accuracy of the ground description on Sunday) and I would expect the ground given tomorrow morning to be the same ground description John Oxx will see himself in the morning. Clearly you do not.

Last edited:
I have a feeling Oxx might let him take his chance on yielding; contrary to the speculation of some, I think he was gutted to miss the Irish Derby at the Curragh. To see him go his whole 3yo year without running in Ireland would be a real shame.

In other news, our very own Galileo is rumoured to be in the running for a job vacancy at Met Eireann... :D

I did wonder where this mythical 7/1 e/w about casual Conquest could have been snaffled. He was about that to win admittedly, but 1/3 to place

It's too volatile and too many questions for them to price it up. They could lose an absolute fortune on it.

I wouldn't want to be a layer on the event.

Looks like a perfect drying day so far, myself and the posse from the hood will be mounting a drying party at 12 noon with 20 or so hair dryers.:blink:

Ground is officially Yielding To Soft, Soft In Places. It is a fine bright and breezy morning now. Be brave John!!

I don't see it myself, but as has been said a couple of times, you couldn't have more perfect drying conditions than at the moment, on a course that does dry quickly. There was some very heavy rain yesterday and it would only be natural that the official going description was given with a grain of optimism.

What time are the declarations? If it's 10am Oxx will be walking the course now. Having the sun shinning on his head might put him in a good mood.

Last edited:
Back