Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

I think Mastercraftsman may be a bigger danger to STS than FAG. He probably has a fitness advantage over him too and will come on from the International where he was a sitting duck for STS. Different tactics this time perhaps and he only has a length to make up.

I could see STS tracking FAG with MCM held up and produced late. Weld's horse won't be far away in what will probably be a blanket finish. Looking forward to it.

I think Oxx is overplaying the "has to have good ground" lark. His maiden win on heavy ground resulted in the easy 7l beating of Vocalised who went on to win a group 3 on heavy ground. The Bull Hayes, 5l third, is well up to listed class and not inconvenienced by heavy.

If STS actually runs the ground will be nowhere near heavy, probably a bit dead on the slow side of good. I can't see he'll have any trouble on it whatsoever. Indeed as a winner of a good race on heavy ground, if Oxx had said nothing regarding his prowess on softer ground you might even be inclined to think it could bring about a little improvement.

If he runs, he is a free money invitation.

I had a few quid on STS last night at 8.6 on Betfair, in the belief that John Oxx will not want to withdraw his horse if he can possibly avoid it.

Since then Betfair has suspended their market on the race and started a new one. Does it mean my bet is cancelled?

No,

You are in the ante post market, the current market is the day of race market.

Go to...

Horse racing
Antepost
Ire
Leop 5th Sep

... and you will find your bet.

Bookmakers cannot agree over a favourite for Saturday's Irish Champion Stakes.
Victor Chandler make Fame And Glory their market leader at even money with Sea The Stars second best at 11/10.
However William Hill have the Epsom Derby hero as their 10/11 favourite with Fame And Glory a 6/4 chance.
At 1600 BST on Thursday, Sea The Stars was trading at 1.95 on Betfair with Fame And Glory 13/8.
Explaining their stance, Neal Wilkins from Victor Chandler said: "Coolmore gave Sea The Stars a real scare with Mastercraftsman at York and connections made it clear after that race that they were getting closer to John Oxx's star.
"We believe that Fame and Glory has a realistic chance of reversing Derby form with Sea The Stars and have priced the race accordingly particularly in view of the going influences."

Sea the Stars looks well worth a bet here to me. You'd imagine if he turns up he has a favourites chance.

Be interesting to know what rain they got in Leopardstown today, because from the looks of things it should be good drying weather from here on in. It is a stunning, bright and breezy evening now.

Last edited:
I think Oxx is overplaying the "has to have good ground" lark. His maiden win on heavy ground resulted in the easy 7l beating of Vocalised who went on to win a group 3 on heavy ground. The Bull Hayes, 5l third, is well up to listed class and not inconvenienced by heavy.

If STS actually runs the ground will be nowhere near heavy, probably a bit dead on the slow side of good. I can't see he'll have any trouble on it whatsoever. Indeed as a winner of a good race on heavy ground, if Oxx had said nothing regarding his prowess on softer ground you might even be inclined to think it could bring about a little improvement.

If he runs, he is a free money invitation.

I agree that STS will be okay on this going... I just think Fame will beat him anyway.

Mastercraftsman is likely to run provided the ground continues to improve.

Speaking on Thursday afternoon, racecourse manager Tom Burke said: "We've had only two showerstoday and they passed through very quickly. I'd say we're heading towards yielding to soft on the whole track and we will just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.
"The forecast is for a mainly dry and breezy day, although there is still the risk of a few more showers. The Met Office tell us that Saturday should be dry."

Am I the only one who thinks evens is a great price for Sea the Stars, considering he will only run if suitable and you will get your money back if he's a non-runner?

Its as good as the evens offered on Delegator last week..this is the 2nd best even money shot of the year imo

F&G fans will need to get the excuses ready I reckon:)

it will be..ooh he is better over 12f

which is pretty clear to everyone else before the race

Its as good as the evens offered on Delegator last week..this is the 2nd best even money shot of the year imo

F&G fans will need to get the excuses ready I reckon:)

it will be..ooh he is better over 12f

which is pretty clear to everyone else before the race

I wouldn't disagree he'll be better over 12 furlongs. But I also contend he'll be good enough at 10 furlongs. It's not as if he's got Dancing Brave to beat.:p

Be interesting to know what rain they got in Leopardstown today, because from the looks of things it should be good drying weather from here on in. It is a stunning, bright and breezy evening now.

Heavy showers on course today, with the wind and sunshine in between I'd say it's status quo. Tomorrow is the biggy weather wise.

it does to me
IMO it depends on physical size (in addition to a rounded action). I've only really started paying attention to this since the start of March but there's been two or three smaller horses who've won big races on supposedly "unsuitable" going due to their leg action.

it does to me

Handling soft ground is an ability as is handling fast ground. Not many are equally effective on both. One that springs to mind was Fasliyev who was baddy turned in....perhaps the reason he waas able to manage it.

Ground has dried out to yielding - yielding to soft in places. The word soft should be out of the description at some stage today. Lovely bright and breezy morning here.

Back