Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

In Ireland maybe, no-one I know has a clue.

where I work..there is only a couple of people who follow racing..about 5%..the other 95% wouldn't have a clue who STS is

there is probably only Red Rum that many non racing folk ever know in my experience

He ran in the highest profile public race..for non racing folk...and he appeared in many towns at betting shop openings etc...apart from that exposure... racing is not really in the general public's eye..except for bad things in Sunday papers.

there isn't really one race on the flat that anyone really knows bar the Derby...and if you mention any Derby winners no one can remember them

any quiz on telly where a racing question is asked..if its a horse..answer is Red Rum..if its a jockey..answer is Frankie Dettori form non racing folk..that used to be Piggott of course

I posted Gareth's link on Red Cafe just to see what kind of a response it gets. I asked how many people have heard of Sea the Stars.

It's sad really, but lets not blame football. On said forum, which has a huge membership, there is a thread for UFC which runs to 49 fecking pages.

Horse Racing is an intellectual pursuit, but most men suffer from macho insecurity - hence the popularity of caged fighting.

I only got into racing through a friend when I was 22 (this was 1989)
But before that I remember Dancing Brave v Shahrastani, and I remember listening to Troy's Derby on the radio when on holiday with my family in Cornwall. Everyone knew about Shergar of course, my father (who never bets) actually backed him in the King George because the hype in the papers was that he was unbeatable. These days there is just too much going on.

Shergar is another horse who some do remember..again ...for all the wrong reasons

If I remember back to when I wasn't into racing..the names I knew were..Lester Piggott..Nijinsky...Persian War..possibly a few others

the only reason I knew a few others was because between 1969-72 I regularly watched the teleprinter on Grandstand spitting the football results off..and in between that happening they would give the racing results out..which I would really hate..Persian War seemed to win every week during that period :D

There was another horse I heard a lot about as well between football results..it was called BAR..seemed to get plenty of mentions :p

I seriously started following racing in the mid-seventies but I'd always been aware of it because my Dad was a racing man and it was always on the television. First horse I can remember was Arkle and watching the King George where he got injured and was beaten. I'd have been seven at the time. I also remember What A Myth simply because we had a teacher at school who was keen on all sports and he kept going on about the horse being a likely National winner. The first horse I had a financial interest in was Charlie Worcester who I think was a hurdler. The name caught my attention because Charlie Worcester was a character in one of the cowboy programmes that I watched at the time: Wagon Train, Rawhide, Laramie. I'd have threepence on CW every time he ran with my Dad standing the bet.

I was certainly aware of the names of Mill Reef, Brigadier Gerard and Nijinsky. Colin Bell, the great Man City player, was nicknamed "Nijinsky" because of his running ability. I don't think even then these horses were what you'd call household names but I'm absolutely certain they were better-known than the stars of today. I suspect it boils down to something as simple as the BBC news coverage. In those days, the result of any of the Classics would be given out on all the news bulletins, radio and TV. There would also be footage of the finish. Nowadays it would be the National only. People think that if it's not mentioned on the news then it's not particularly significant. I certainly don't know many people who have ever heard of Sea The Stars. I took my son and daughter, both in their teens, to see him at York and tried to impress on them how good he is. The thing that made the biggest impact was when I mentioned how much he might be worth at stud.

When Sea The Stars won the other day, no sooner had he crossed the line than the phone went. "I'll get it," I called to Mrs O. "It'll be ...[my brother]... to talk about that race."

"Oh, did you win a lot?" she asked.

"No, we didn't have a bet but he'll just be on to rave about that horse I've been telling you about, Sea The Stars."

"Oh, is that all. What horse was that? Have I heard of it?"

(I gave up at that point.)

:lol:

a familiar tale DO

I'm loving the stories about how people got into following racing

more please?

maybe we should have a separate thread..or has that been done before?

The first big race that really sticks in my mind was the '89 National when I was 8. I don't ever remember seeing the race before but that race sticks in my mind because it was a whole afternoon of racing on the telly - heaven for a pony-mad kid :D The first horse I really remember, although I couldn't say if it was before/after seeing the National, was Bonanza Boy - my nan was under strict instructions to call me in from the garden when he was running. I guess in those days there were usually three or four races shown on Grandstand every week so even people who weren't into racing used to catch it in the middle of the football or whatever else was on. Then there was Norton's Coin winning the Gold Cup, racing never usually made the local news back home so a Welsh trained horse winning was a big thing. Then Generous came along and I was converted to the flat and have been ever since although I still have to watch the National ever year. Old habits die hard lol

I'm loving the stories about how people got into following racing

more please?

I remember my faither taking me over to my granda's to watch the racing. My granda smoked untipped cigarettes and spent his afternoon at the fireside watching the telly, spitting out little shreds of baccy and muttering, "sufferin' duffer...sufferin' duffer..." at every other jockey or horse. I'm pretty sure it was there that I watched Arkle's losing King George.

Before we had our own TV, we used to visit my auntie & uncle to see the Grand National and we'd all pick our winner. I remember the names of the horses like Nicholas Silver and Freddie and The Fossa, etc.

As we went through secondary school, my odler brothers mates would visit us on Saturdays to watch the ten or eleven races tht were on every Saturday in those days. We'd run a 'bobs' competition. We'd select one horse per race and put up a one-shilling ante. You got a point for every point on winners' prices (5/1 = 5 points, etc). Whoever got the most points scooped the pool. There would probably have been at least ten bob in the pool, which was probably more than my older brothers' pocket money.

I won it a few times, including once when I picked Happy Medium in the big 2m handicap chase at Sandown (the Black & White?), which won at 33/1 under John Lawrence.

I also remember vowing I wouldn't get involved in the betting side (other than the Grand National) and it wasn't until I was about 14 going on 15 that I started betting. I reckon that would have been Nijinsky's summer.

And the rest, as Charlie Nicholas would say, is geography...

Last edited:
Apart from the fact that my old man grew up with ginger Mccain there was no real interest in racing in our family, despite being brought up right next to kempton Park

Got into with drinking friends in my early twenties. Liked the challenge and it was nearly getting Young Snugfit (i think) right in the national that got me hooked. Never been a natural gambler as such and it was the whole sport that appealed. it was dancing braves season (i was a Sharastani fan though) that kicked it off a bit. living near so many great courses helped too

Great article in observer on Oxx and STS today

I was very fortunate that my first visit to the racecourse was to Cheltenham to see Arkle win the Gold Cup for the third time in 1966. Sea-Bird was still fresh in the memory from the previous year and England won the World Cup at Wembley. My only regret was that Jimmy Greaves was dropped in the final stages by that idiot of a coach!... Life it seemed didn’t get much better than this… and it never has.

I learned to ride in Lusaka (Zambia), where the riding school and livery stables for non-racing horses were built right by the racecourse and showgrounds - all very convenient for everything equine. We were allowed to exercise our horses and ponies on the track as it only raced once a month and had a very poor grass cover (this was in the 1950s60s). So we kids used to see the racehorses at work while we rode around the showgrounds, and then used the course ourselves afterwards. We could also sneak into watch the racing proper, so I guess I was going racing from the age of around 10 - none of those "you must be accompanied by a responsible adult" rules in those days!

The Zambian (technically, Northern Rhodesian) and Zimbabwean racehorses were brought up on the 4-day steam train ride from South Africa, as there were no studs in either country then. The SA horses in those days all traced their pedigrees through imports who counted the Hyperion and Nearco lines in their blood. Some were 2 y.o.'s, unraced, and others had had a couple of starter races in SA and then been sold speculatively to the Rhodesias.

My parents and I were on leave in England in 1956 when I picked out PETITE ETOILE for a racing-mad uncle, who had a little tickle on her, and wished he'd had more. I picked him out a couple more top winners while we were over, and he rewarded me with a whip owned by Edgar Britt (that'll tax some memories!), which I kept for many years after. He had spent a very 'hectic' week travelling around with a group of jockeys, all heavy drinking and smoking, and Edgar had given him the whip.

My second horse, GLENSIL, was retired from racing, but well bred (GLEN ALBYN - SILVER BIRCH) and anyone who follows SA racing can look up GLEN ALBYN and see he won the Durban July Handicap in the 1920s. My fourth horse, bought straight out of a middle distance race mainly for my Dad to ride, was called MAMMON (JANUS - GOLD DIGGER II) and a trawl through the pedigree shows some very nice names. By then, South African studs were really doing very well breeding the South African 'type' - a speedy animal, more wirily built than many UK counterparts. The accent in SA, due to the ground being generally Firm, was for lightweight, quick-actioned sprint types. Heavy-actioned horses tended to break down too easily on the going, whereas a daisy-cutter wouldn't be a problem, since the ground rarely got to Soft.

Thus, early moochings around the racehorses - I used to sit for hours outside their stalls, talking to them - meant an early interest, not one that ever led to what could be called a punter, but an interest particularly in conformation, its effect on action, and action's varied effectiveness on going. The mechanics of racing, if you like. But, more than anything, it engendered a love for the TB and its rich heritage.

What now for Sea The Stars?

It was interesting hearing Oxx talk about Sea The Starts at home, and how you couldn't give him a rest or he'd get really difficult.

It always amazes me with horses like that, that they can be handled at stud - how are they kept fit, and calm enough to handle? How are they let down, after a career at top level and all the exercise that entails?

Cheers whoever moved that - though I was really starting a thread on how stallions are handled and how the change-over is done. Maybe I should have titled it a bit differently! Though it can prob be answered fairly briefly here

Last edited:
I hope as long as Giant's Causeway - Dubai Millennium should give STS a nice lead to a furlong out :lol:

By Lee Mottershead9.20AM 5 OCT 2009
CHRISTOPHER TSUI, owner of Sunday's Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe hero Sea The Stars, has described it as "50-50" that the six-time Group 1 winner would take his chance in the Breeders' Cup Classic.
Speaking to the Racing Post on Monday morning, Hong Kong-based Tsui indicated that a final decision regarding the $5m Santa Anita showpiece on November 7 would be made in the next fortnight.
If connections decide to bypass the Classic, Sea The Stars will be retired, Tsui confirmed, and is likely to remain in Ireland, where he would take up stud duties next year.
Sea The Stars ensured his place in equine history on Sunday by becoming the first horse to win the 2,000 Guineas, Derby and Arc.

Does this mean he is off to the National Stud?

It sounds to me like the family want to retain full ownership (or something close to it). Would the National Stud be the place to go if they wanted to effectively board him permanently?

It sounds to me like the family want to retain full ownership (or something close to it). Would the National Stud be the place to go if they wanted to effectively board him permanently?

That seems to be the case.....what a boost for the National Stud to get him. What is he going to stand for?

With John Clarke their adviser having resigned from the National stud recently is it possbile they have bigger plans. Maybe strike out on their own

The horse has paid for it for them... Not sure what he has earned this year but it must be around £3m?

Back