Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

Tricky situation for W. Derby and his team.

Balls to 'em. If they'd not increased the meeting to four days they wouldn't be as reliant on the Yorkshire Oaks being a stand alone race. I hope it's good to firm and Sariska doesn't turn up. We might see her take on Stacelita in the Vermeille then.

No rain yet at York according to The Guardian. Looks like it might only be 5 runners though, with two of them pacemakers.

this race is a damp squib compared to the prospect of STS v F&G in Ireland

Agreed - I'm looking forward to the Champion Stakes more than any flat race I can remember. That maybe because the flights and hotel are already booked and with both non-refundable it better be a dry end to the month

Hose out. From BHA website

Watering
Rainfall history: Saturday 15 August 5pm - 2mm shower. Dry apart
from that. Applied 4mm of irrigation by boom irrigators on
Saturday to maintain going at Good to Firm and replace
evapotranspiration.

Sounds good though, doesn't it.

–noun Meteorology.
1. the process of transferring moisture from the earth to the atmosphere by evaporation of water and transpiration from plants.
2. Also called flyoff, water loss. the total volume transferred by this process.

Last edited:
Clerk of the course William Derby is happy with conditions at York ahead of the four-day Ebor Festival.
"The latest forecast we have got is for it to remain dry for the rest of today, it's a cloudy day, about 19 degrees," said Derby on Sunday morning.
"There is a possibility of showers coming down from Scotland tonight, about two millimetres it looks like, with it clearing at dawn on Monday morning which should be a bright day with sunny spells with it being dry into Tuesday itself.
"We're not going to water today, we don't need to, it's bob-on at the moment and we'll monitor today and see if we get any precipitation tonight and look at it again on Monday.
"If we need to we can and will water but if we don't we won't.
"We want to keep conditions as they are at the moment, we are very happy with the racing surface at the moment," he told At The Races.

Disappointing to see what is effectively a three runner race....surely there are some other 1m2f horses that could be running in this.

Disappointing to see what is effectively a three runner race....surely there are some other 1m2f horses that could be running in this.

i thought the same

this should be a bigger field..yes we know STS is a good horse but you win nothing by not even entering

like I said before..its a damp squib race to me

I hope he waters the hell out of the ground and Oxx pulls him tbh..would rather him run in Ireland

but..i am sure anyone attending next week will be quite happy

if it were my game plan I would be setting a slow pace which would suit MCM more than STS

if they set a strong gallop I can't see how O'Brien would think that would favour their boy as on paper STS is a solid 10/11 horse against their proven miler

STS can only be beat off a slow pace in this I think

then again..it might not matter either way for STS

Last edited:
I agree that the pace probably won't matter. STS is so far ahead at a mile or 10f and his top speed is proably a fair bit faster anyway so I can't see how he can get beat. But Roberto beat Brigadier Gerard so anything's possible in racing. I suspect the pacemakers will be in there to slow it up.

What do we think the pacemakers will do?

Make the pace, I'd imagine. :p

I'd imagine Set Sail will set off in front initially with Georgebernardshaw just in behind, with the latter taking up the running as Set Sail drops away three furlongs out or so.

As has been said before, a genuine test will be right up Sea The Stars' street as well, though I can't see any way it would benefit Mastercraftsman to go anything slower than a decent gallop.

I think the presence of two pacemakers probably suggests they will be going hard enough...particularly seeing as Georgebernardshaw is pretty much a 7 furlong horse.

I would have thought George would make the running with Set Sail then trying to pick it up and hold it for as long as possible before Mastercraftsman takes over trying to fend of STS. I would imagine Coolmore will want a strongly run race as that is the type of rythmn MCM enjoys but also with the Irish Champion Stakes just a couple of weeks later they will be keen to ensure STS has as tough a race as possible ahead of his clash with Fame And Glory.

Back