Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

Pathetic, there must be something more sinister than just not wanting to face Sea The Stars. This might be a big two fingers up to the BHA from trainers across the UK, we won't help promote the sport if you dont help sport itself? maybe I am wrong but you never know.

The ghosts of Sea Biscuit and War Admiral

Might even add to things if the pacemakers came out. Somehow one suspects O'Brien's going to be accussed of team tactics whatever happens now

Will be interesting to see hopw this unfolds tactically. Didn't Kinane say after the Eclipse that he was in front sooner than he wanted to be. That being the case, will they track Mastercraftsman and risk giving him first run. For me, Sea The Stars has shown in the Derby and the Eclipse, that bar his enthusiasm, he is a most uncomplicated ride. He should sit handy, if one of the pacemakers wants to go too quick let it, put his horse in front between the 3f and 2f pole and make sure that nothing is left to chance.

I think the race will be pretty straight forward. The two pacemakers going on at a decent clip with Mastercraftsman in third and STS tracking him. They will be keen to let MCM get his head in front first and let STS try and pass him.

Disgraceful turn out from the trainers who will no doubt be moaning about the lack of opportunities in the UK this time next month.

What's quite funny is that there appears to be 21 entries for the Group 3 Strensall Stakes over 9f on Friday. This race used to be run in early September, but got moved to the Ebor festival as part of turning it into a 4-day festival. The winner of the Strensall receives £57k. Third place in the International, which you would expect most if not all of the Strensall entries to be capable of, receives £65k.

The four day festival looks really thin on the Thursday - I am afraid another example of more is less .

STS has so far been going so well he ends up in front probably earlier than they want him to be .If he is in his usual form he will beat Mastercraftsman very comfortably whether from 3rd or 4th place .

Last edited:
What's quite funny is that there appears to be 21 entries for the Group 3 Strensall Stakes over 9f on Friday. This race used to be run in early September, but got moved to the Ebor festival as part of turning it into a 4-day festival. The winner of the Strensall receives £57k. Third place in the International, which you would expect most if not all of the Strensall entries to be capable of, receives £65k.

When you put it like that there really is no excuse.

Trainers never moan (or even organise boycotts of courses) because of low prize money though do they?

So we are criticising trainers now for entering their horses in races where they have a realistic chance of winning?

God forbid we could expect a bit of sport to break out.

Says it all that one of the horses taken out of the International in favour of the Strensall is Forgotten Voice, owned by the head of the BHA.

I'm the last one to defend Paul Roy, but if Forgotten Voice was my horse, he would also be running in the Strensall. I'd personally rather him go close and possibly win that, as opposed to finish 10 lengths behind in the Juddmonte, and be satisfied with a few more grand (which I don't think he needs).

If prize money isn't an issue for him, even more reason why he should have a tilt at the bigger race. Just shows a complete lack of sporting endeavour.

If prize money isn't an issue for him, even more reason why he should have a tilt at the bigger race. Just shows a complete lack of sporting endeavour.

Then why shouldn't every handicapper run?

Forgotten Voice is a long way behind the principals, and I would have imagined one of the main aims being an owner is to see your horse win, and I'd much rather the possibility of winning a Group 3 at a top meeting, as opposed to finishing miles behind the MCM and STS.

What thrill could he possibly get running 10 lengths down? I appreciate the need for ambition but the fact that FV is rated so much below the other two means there would be little joy for an owner in competing in the International.

What would be the total entry fee for the International? I bet it's not cheap to run....

That's a fair point Aragorn - I think its around £6k total, although by the time final entries come around you'll have paid £3,900 anyway. (I'm not expecting anyone to pony up the £50k supplementary!).

I think its just a matter of the oppo being so hot this year..to be fair you are running for 3rd & 4th place only..I presume you get paid for 4.....or is it 6 places?..I'm too lazy to look

we don't really have any other 10f horses good enough

it is a bizarre race though even allowing for this

Last edited:
That's a fair point Aragorn - I think its around £6k total, although by the time final entries come around you'll have paid £3,900 anyway. (I'm not expecting anyone to pony up the £50k supplementary!).

Indeed. I would love to know what O'Brien spends on entries each year because I would guess it is probably around ten times what most other prominent stables spend, that would include Godolphin who are less scattergun in their planning policy..

I think people forget how expensive it is just to run in these races.

In this instance O'Brien would probably make money on the race even if MCM was not running, but generally I reckon it must severely dent his profits. He normally has about 100 Derby Entries and I think the initial entry is around 500 quid!

They've sold Golden Sword and Frozen Fire now; probably to make up the deficit!

By the way where did you find the entry costs? The fees for the Derby don't appear on the entry list whereas I am sure they used to...

I'm with Hamm on this one - if Forgotten Voice were mine, he'd preferably be running in the Group 3 he has a good chance of winning rather than finish 4th or worse in a Group 1. Black type is worth enough in itself and you don't get it for finishing down the field in a Group 1.

Disgraceful turn out from the trainers who will no doubt be moaning about the lack of opportunities in the UK this time next month.

Absolute wankers the lot of them. Wtf has Meehan done with Crowded House? Worst trainer in the country imo.

Where has Tartan Bearer gone?

Back