So You Think - substance or hype ?

Hes put so much more pressure on himself by claiming that the horse was not 100%. Frankly that is very hard to believe, This was the race where he had to put down a significant marker. The concrode on the gallops stuff from friendly reporters has hardly helped too. No one has suggested that Rewilding is the most awesome horse since Secretariat or whatever

And thats without all the convicts no doubt banging on about how hes degenerated the horse by about 10lbs

I'd be quite happy to give the horse another chance..i don't think the ride did him any favours..this kicking for home miles out at Ascot..isn't a good one imo

I'd like to see him on a flat track like York..think he could quite interesting

i'm not making excuses for him..its neither here nor there to me..but judging him on that one run isn't a balanced judgement

If fitness is the issue, they have no excuse not to run him at Sandown. A Falbrav-esque campaign would be good. His stinker in the Prince of Wales seemed like ancient history by the end of 2003.

If a horse can't settle, that is a weakness, and shouldn't be used as an excuse.

I suspect they always might go mental early doors in Australia no matter what the trip so maybe it's getting used to a new style of racing. Same with New Approach, he didn't settle in the Derby because he was suddenly running over a far longer trip. He deserves another chance imo.

Good read, but this bit:

The belief that So You Think was not suited by being in front as early as he was has been put forward by commentators both here and in Australia. However, this theory simply isn’t backed up by the horse’s form.

In Australia, So You Think was best known for his two victories in the Cox Plate at Moonee Valley. Those wins were achieved by making all the running in the 2009 renewal (in blinkers) and in 2010, he led fully three furlongs out and drew clear.

Indeed, in the vast majority of his wins in Australia, he took up the running between three furlongs out and one and a half furlongs out.

I don't agree with. He got away with leading so early on in Australia because their middle distance animals aren't of the same calibre as ours. Has he ever faced an animal as good as Rewilding before? Can't believe he has. To win a top Group 1 over here he'll need different tactics employed imo.

I was speaking to a friend who works with a guy who worked for Bart Cummings. He said Cummings is unbelievably tough on them during training. He will run a horse in a Group 1 race on a Saturday, give it Sunday off, school it over hurdles on Monday then run it back in a Group 1 on Tuesday. They have to be pretty darn fit to do that. He is convinced that AOB has misunderstood how much this horse needs and his post-race comments were 100% accurate.

That's not uncommon in Australia, though, is it? Always seems like half the Melbourne Cup field have had a run the weekend before!

Ratings wise, he must be the most consistent horse in training. His last 6 starts have earned a Racing Post rating of either 128 or 129 and over his last 11 races he has never been rated lower than 125 with his worst finish being third in the Melbourne Cup. That's a staggering level of consistency but may be evidence that that's as good as he his. Hopefully not though.

When they bought him they were talking about targets like the King George and the Arc, so I'm not sure the Aussie breeding season was that big a factor. Obviously the result of the POW, and the Eclipse if he goes there, might change that thinking, but I'd expect him to stay on?

if you stick the footage in video softaware package you can check frame by frame with the time elapsed showing to 100 hundreth of a second at each frame

Or you can get a life :)

I suspect they always might go mental early doors in Australia no matter what the trip so maybe it's getting used to a new style of racing. Same with New Approach, he didn't settle in the Derby because he was suddenly running over a far longer trip. He deserves another chance imo.

Of course he deserves another chance, I didn't mean to come across like saying that - all I strongly believe is that he is definitely not a wonder horse. The hype, from Aussies and Ballydoyle, was ridiculous, as was his price.

Some of the Australians on the Melbourne Cup fan page laid into me as they said that "everything that could've gone wrong did go wrong" for him and I told them that was nonsense.

Never heard such biased bollocks in all my life, he was 4/11 favourite, he should have be able to handle most things going wrong and still winning if he was the horse they thought he was. Zarkava managed it when she was racing and going off bigger prices.

He's a very good horse and there's no arguing with that but like others have said, the price and hype was obscene.

Last edited:
Of course he deserves another chance, I didn't mean to come across like saying that - all I strongly believe is that he is definitely not a wonder horse. The hype, from Aussies and Ballydoyle, was ridiculous, as was his price.

I'll be honest..i hadn't really "got" all this stuff about the horse..i must have just glossed over anything written about him

i watched him win last time..thought it were an alright win..but then i started reading on other forum how he is some kind of world beater etc...when i saw the price for the POW i was dropped on tbh

i just thought i had missed something along the way..obviously i missed the hype..which is a good thing

Perfectly summed up - the Aussies wouldn't know a great middle distance horse anyway. 2 Cox Plates ... wooohhh!

Back