St James Palace

Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 17 2008, 03:57 PM

Did absolutely nothing in front and the Gosden horse was never going to pass him.
If Fortune had put him in the race rather than out the back it would have been like a re-run of Newmarket.

Agreed, when you look at the side on of the two of them, RP was giving his all, totally stretched out, but you felt Henry had a little bit more he could have pulled out if need be

If Fortune had him in the race earlier he would not have finished so strongly. Murtagh only had to give Henry a couple of cracks of the whip.

Could be stepped up in trip, dropped in trip, sent over hurdles, put away for the boat race. Nothing ruled out.

Originally posted by Gearoid@Jun 17 2008, 03:11 PM
I'll go the following

Next race::

6/4 Over 1 mile
5/2 Under 1 mile
No odds for exactly one mile then? :)

Would have thought the Sussex would be the most obvious target - only thing he has to do to definitely be mile champion is to beat the older 'uns, which I would expect him to do after they all finished in a heap in the Queen Anne.

After that they'll step him up surely, especially given that he was touted for a Derby appearance at one stage. Wouldn't think there's any chance of him dropping back in trip.

If I were to guess I would say the Irish Champion would be the obvious race to step him up. Other then that I don't see it happening. Drop in trip no chance.

Whilst I don't think the result would have been any different at all as the best horse won, I'd like to think that in a rematch in something like the Sussex that such extreme waiting tactics won't be employed on Ravens Pass. Henry was stopping yes, but Raven's Pass was still pulling clear from the third and fourth as well and I think the first 2 were a bit better than the bare form today.

Originally posted by davidjohnson@Jun 17 2008, 08:16 PM
I think the first 2 were a bit better than the bare form today.
My impression too DJ and i'm looking forward to seeing how those two get on next time

I thought Raven's Pass ran a blinder. Ended up backing Twice Over for a place. The way Henry quickened was decisive. They just had no answer to him. I can't see another 3-y-o touching him on a sound surface at a mile. I'd fancy New Approach every time at 10 furlongs or more though.

Henry is one of the most exciting horses we have seen in a long time - I think that if dv he carries on next season he will prove as good as anything Ballydoyle has had in recent years.

But yes I too would back NA against him at 10 and certainly at further - not that I think Henry will go further...

Henry didnt need to be at his very best to win this in just fine style (124+), I think he can post 130 given the ground in good or firmer and pace is fast, he should be kept in this distance against the older horses.

Back