Supreme Novice Hurdle

I looked at the race agin yesterday evening and concluded that Micheal Flips would be my bet in this race.

He's been able to quicken off a slow pace and run fast times round Kempton's sharp two miles, improving significantly from race to race. I can't help thinking he could find vast improvement at a course like Cheltenham.

Eddie Freemantle has also tipped him in his feature in the Observer. If he's won an Irish point at 3 miles he shouldn't lack stamina. My first reaction was that the Christmas Hurdle must have been a dawdle, but under closer investigation it wasn't (not that it was massively fast either), but it was a fair pace. If the Michael Phelps can beat Harchibald by 1.6secs over C&D carrying fractionally more weight, he must have the blend of speed and stamina that a truly run Supreme needs

Last edited:
What has put me off in the past is that he is trained By Andy Turnell (which I'm learning to just about live with now) although if Mark Grant takes the ride I really cannot bring myself to back him I'm sure.

What price would he be if trained by Henderson/King/Mullins/Nicholls

Cant have high liabity on vinny.

You are obviously guessing-Powers say it will cost them 2 million if Cousin Vinny wins .Powers are not afraid to take on the market at the biggest sporting events.I'm not talking about Wolverhampton on a Wednesday night-when it comes to Cheltenham,Royal Ascot, the Champions League Final and the majors in Golf Powers can offer outstanding value.

seeing betfair
looks like Mikael Dhaguent running in the Ballymore and that means Cousin vinny goes to the Supreme.

Really like Red Moloney for this, it`s only won at mussleburgh but what it had done on the flat gives me confidence that it will have a turn of foot going up the hill with a bit of cut in it.

I was hoping he would be all hyped up and go ridiculously short. would then be one of my rare lays. Simple reason is that as fine as his performances have been, if his regular stumbling at some hurdles returns, then he will be well and truely exposed this week. Cheltenham really exposes these flaws of course

MULLINS - RAIN WOULD HELP VINNY

By PA Sport Staff

Willie Mullins would like to see some rain overnight to aid the chances of ante-post favourite Cousin Vinny in the Supreme Novices' Hurdle at Cheltenham.
Last year's Champion Bumper winner has won two of his four starts since turning his attentions to hurdling but letdown odds-on backers when coming to grief at the final obstacle in the Deloitte Novice Hurdle at Leopardstown last time.
He seemingly had the race at his mercy on that occasion however, and Mullins is hopeful he will give a good account in the Festival curtain-raiser in the hands of his son Patrick.
The six-year-old also had the option of the Ballymore Properties Novices' Hurdle a day later at Cheltenham, but Mullins is planning to run another smart prospect in Mikael D'Haguenet in that event.
"I looked at Mikael D'Haguenet being a Grade One winner over two and a half miles so I thought the Ballymore Properties Hurdle presented itself for him, leaving Cousin Vinny to run in the Supreme," said Mullins.
"He won the Champion Bumper last year and while it will be a tough assignment, we are hoping for the best.
"Patrick (Mullins) has ridden him all season so I was happy enough to let him keep the ride as he gets on well with the horse. He has also ridden a winner at Cheltenham.
"The ground is drying by the minute which is a bit of a worry and I hope the rain that is forecast comes overnight - just to take the speed out of the race.
"It's probably yielding to good ground on present conditions so if we get a bit more rain, all well and good.
"We also run Kempes and if he continues to improve, he should be right there in the firing line as well and he has travelled over well.
"Cousin Vinny maybe didn't travel over quite as well as I might have expected, or hoped. Sometimes this happens when horses come back for a second year.
"He is settling down now but he definitely didn't travel or eat as well as I expected."
All the leading protagonists have stood their ground for the two-mile contest with Torphichen and Leo's Lucky Star lining up for David Pipe.
Along with the Mullins duo Noel Meade's Go Native is the only other Irish challenger, while Medermit, Red Moloney and Aachen are all major players.

People with more Knowledge of training horses than i, how can poor travelling two days before the race affect a horse? If it eats up fine today would it be okay tomorrow or is there a more lasting affect on a horse?

Entirely depends on individual and depends on how it affected him - he could have arrived dripping with sweat and is now dehydrated having lost a few kilos. You would want to hope he has drunk properly and I would expect them to bung in some electrolites but if he is back on his feed/water as normal today and tomorrow morning then he should be ok.

Back