Sussex Stakes

Henry 1.5
Ravens 5.5

Betfair odds were about right, like I said no angle. But if all the money comes onto the favourite and he gets into the low 1.3s i`m taking him on with RP if I can get 6. Henry should win obviously but his (narrowish) win over the Gosden animal at Ascot plus the vagries of this track means any lower than 1.5 would be too short.

Always looked like winning but that was a little close! Ravens Pass had everything in his favour today, no excuses.

Unbelievable. Mugs collect again. There is virtually no difference between those two on merit and yet Henry collects again.

The gap is getting closer but good performance.

That 6.5f race is at Winker Watson's mercy imo. He came there going well 2f out, and was comfortably 3rd inside final until hitting a brick in the final 100yds.

cracking race, no excuse needed !!! he ran the best miler we have seen in some time to a nose and would have been the best miler of his generation in any other year; a cracking horse in his own right and races to savour.

Not sure planet Johnny was on saying he won with alot in hand.

I agree with Mcgrath, that if that was not all out, I'm a dutchman, oh hang on I am already.

Except it was a mile race! Henry hit the front very early. Some might say its a mug who would back Ravens Pass after that horse has been beaten by Henry so many times now.

Punting is all about prices and 1.39 Henry and 6 Raven`s Pass was wrong plain and simple given the way the race panned out at Ascot. If anyone calls a punter a mug for taking over the odds on an animal they haven`t got a clue about the game. If they`d entered the straight at Ascot together and Henry had won by a couple of lengths and the course today was similar that would have justified the odds on offer before the race - nothing less.

Very exciting and I'm torn by the result - would love to see RP get a big one, and he so nearly did - but equally didn't want to see Henry beat either!

I tend to agree with what they just said on Ch4 - it was daft not to try going out in front of Henry today, result might have been different with different tactics - it's hard to come to Henry and beat him as he will pull out a fraction more. And Gosden felt that being drawn on the rail compromised RP too. Henry has a hell of a stride on him though - amazing to watch the action of the two of them in those last few yards

Also think WW was given too much to do, though he would only have got 3rd anyway

Last edited:
Punting is all about prices and 1.39 Henry and 6 Raven`s Pass was wrong plain and simple given the way the race panned out at Ascot. If anyone calls a punter a mug for taking over the odds on an animal they haven`t got a clue about the game. If they`d entered the straight at Ascot together and Henry had won by a couple of lengths and the course today was similar that would have justified the odds on offer before the race - nothing less.

Keep backing Ravens Pass to beat Henry and it might make you feel like your not a mug but your pocket will soon be empty.

Clearly there is not that much between the pair of them, but you are backing on something going wrong with Henry for Ravens Pass to win.

Henry really is a horse to savour, so much presence and such personality. daniel phoned from track and was really taken, called it his highlight of the year (us germans have nothing much to live for when it comes to racing :)

Do think that Henry was always holding RP, even though I picked the latter last year in Ascot and like him so much - Henry simply is a special horse, will he do a Rock-of-Gibraltar now?

Have to say it though - why always reducing a race to the odds? Why not simply enjoy such outstanding animals at the hight of their power ? Must be the females view of racing, sadly.

Keep backing Ravens Pass to beat Henry and it might make you feel like your not a mug but your pocket will soon be empty.
That result could have gone either way today - it was virtually on the nod. Will I back RP again if they meet later in the year? It all depends on the conditions of the race, the track and the odds - I don`t just blindly follow a horse/stable no matter what the price. Obviously that has worked for the lemmings who back AOB`s animals no matter what, but long term their form will even out and being able to analyse value will always stand me in good stead.

Henry has a 100 % record in Group 1s....Ravens Pass has lost them all. He is a horse that obviously has loads of talent but there always is an excuse thrown out for him. I would suggest its lemmings that keep backing him!

I would suggest its lemmings that keep backing him!

*shrugs* I don`t think your that clued up on odds and chances though. The pecking order between the two was reduced to a nodding head today. Next time the odds will be different and I probably wont be involved.

*shrugs* I don`t think your that clued up on odds and chances though. The pecking order between the two was reduced to a nodding head today. Next time the odds will be different and I probably wont be involved.

I understand what your saying Euro. But if people think the horse is going to win despite the poor odds, and are willing to chance even those short odds, and they are proved right (on more than one occasion) then I dont think it is right to call them muppets or mugs.

Particularly when Henry had nothing really against him today other than perhaps returning from break.

But if people think the horse is going to win despite the poor odds, and are willing to chance even those short odds, and they are proved right (on more than one occasion) then I dont think it is right to call them muppets or mugs.

But it kind of is mug punting i`m afraid. It`s like having a really good run at roulette or backing Chelsea or United every game. Sure you`re going to have a lot of winners but profits will kind of get wiped out in short order when the inevitable barren run occurs.

Back