Sussex Stakes

Paco Boy to win another G1 mile for me . Ghanaati has been mighty impressive but the eclipse of the 3 yo fillies in the Falmouth was not encouraging and I agree that a mile is probably too short for RVW especially an easy mile

Put some blinking blinkers on the thing. Is it really going to decrease his stud value more than having an all aged group one on his CV?

the eclipse of the 3 yo fillies in the Falmouth was not encouraging

She has been so far clear of her peers in this department that I just don't think the Falmouth can be accurately used as a pointer in determining Ghanaati's form lines with the older fillies. She's battered her two races this season with great ease.

I think they will be keen to get the rail for Rip Van Winkle...might help keep him on a straight line. Like I said, I do not think a mile will be a problem at all as he travelled supremely well in the Eclipse and did not really hit his "flat spot" likely in previous races (including over 12 furlongs) simply due to the fact he got his first strongly run race over any trip. Just found Sea The Stars too good.

Has all the ability in the world, but track and attitude (this will confirm it for once) are enough to put me off him.

I still think its the wrong trip to make a decision about him, if any other trainer had him..he would be running over 10f next..that was teh distance I was ready to judge him on after the eclipse.

will he go for the Champion Stakes at Newmarket I wonder after this?

She has been so far clear of her peers in this department that I just don't think the Falmouth can be accurately used as a pointer in determining Ghanaati's form lines with the older fillies. She's battered her two races this season with great ease.

So she needs to be after the way they all bombed behind Goldikova

There was only two 3yos in the Falmouth. Rainbow View finished closer up than she did in either of her races against Ghanaati. Penny's Gift surely didn't run to her Guineas form in it, and in any case Ghanaati has surely improved since then. Plus, she's the kind of physical specimen who strikes me as getting quite a bit of benefit from the WFA scale.

There was only two 3yos in the Falmouth. Rainbow View finished closer up than she did in either of her races against Ghanaati. Penny's Gift surely didn't run to her Guineas form in it, and in any case Ghanaati has surely improved since then. Plus, she's the kind of physical specimen who strikes me as getting quite a bit of benefit from the WFA scale.

Ghanaati beat Rainbow View far easier and more impressively. She'll be a huge threat to the colts at Goodwood.

In that she looks like a four year old colt?!

Something like that :lol: You were at Sandown for the Eclipse, right? I can't have been the only one watching them in the parade ring wondering why Sea The Stars got to carry 11lbs less than Conduit!

Something like that :lol: You were at Sandown for the Eclipse, right? I can't have been the only one watching them in the parade ring wondering why Sea The Stars got to carry 11lbs less than Conduit!

Indeed, I didn't even need to watch the race to know the fate of my bet on Conduit.

Ghanaati beat Rainbow View far easier and more impressively. She'll be a huge threat to the colts at Goodwood.

I don't for a moment doubt that she is a serious contender but Rainbow View should have improved markedly for the much easier ground at Newmarket compared to Ascot . Moreover, due to the interference she suffered she should have been a couple of lengths closer at Ascot .

Goldikova was evidently dossing in front at Newmarket too IMO .

I think the ground issue is a bit of a myth regarding Rainbow View....just not good enough and she was probably even flattered at Ascot coming from behind off a very strong pace.

Ghanaati delighted connections in a spin at Newbury racecourse ahead of next week's BGC Sussex Stakes at Glorious Goodwood.
The 1000 Guineas and Coronation Stakes winner showed her wellbeing in a routine workout in which she was ridden by her big-race jockey Richard Hills.
"She went through the motions at Newbury. Richard rode her and we were all very happy with her," said Charlie Hills, assistant trainer to his father Barry.
"She's in very good form and it's the Sussex Stakes next week. She's come out of Ascot very well and has done nothing wrong."

Gladiatorus misses this and goes to either the Jacques le Marois or Arlington Million instead.

My immediate thought was "bottled it". Hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be the right decision for the horse. Can't imagine the straight mile at Deauville would suit, mind.

Is it fair to suggest he might be able to get more than his food and water on the day of the race at Arlington too?

Illinois racing allows the use of bute and steroids (within certain thresholds) but not on the day of the race. I believe only lasix can be administered intravenously on the day.

Back