Tattersalls Gold Cup

SteveM

At the Start
Fascinating race... such a range of horses in terms of age, sex and distance capabilities. Who will represent O'Brien (10 possibles)? Which ones have the best chances?

Last edited:
So You Think is confirmed for the race. Heffernan rides.
I guess Viscount Nelson might run as well from Ballydoyle.

Great! It wasn't updated earlier. I see O'Brien is still potentially well tooled up with six. A shame only four others want to take Ballydoyle on.

Famous Name will be chasing a Group 1 this season, but swerved So You Think last time.

Good to firm (watering).

I take it there is no actual rain due?

Last edited:
Powers

So You Think 1/3
Famous Name 7/2
Await The Dawn 7/1
Campanologist 10/1
Jan Vermeer 16/1
33/1 Bar

I doubt if Famous Name could finish in front of Await The Dawn

If Await The Dawn was to run in the absence of SYT, then I imagine he would be much shorter than Famous Name. Await The Dawn and Jan Vermeer are both in the Prix Hocquart on Sunday, though Await The Dawn is likely to wait for Ascot.

Powers

So You Think 1/3
Famous Name 7/2
Await The Dawn 7/1
Campanologist 10/1
Jan Vermeer 16/1
33/1 Bar

I doubt if Famous Name could finish in front of Await The Dawn

I think Famous Name is seriously underrated and there is a Group 1 for him somewhere (he's prominent in my TTF), but I'd agree that Ballydoyle should take this in some shape or form. I'll be cheering on the Name though.

I was also really surprised by Await the dawn's price in relation to Famous Name. Admirable as famous name is he's been found out every time at Group 1 level and Await the Dawn looked a very progressive colt last time out.

1/3 is really short as well. Couldn't be backing the jolly at that price.

If ever Famous Name wins a group 1 it is this. He's a bet at 7/2 now - ther will be about 5 runners and he'll go to post about 5/2.

I think Famous Name is seriously underrated and there is a Group 1 for him somewhere (he's prominent in my TTF), but I'd agree that Ballydoyle should take this in some shape or form. I'll be cheering on the Name though.

Famous Name is a nice horse but all his wins, bar his maiden, have come at The Curragh and Leopardstown in Listed and G3 Races.

I thought his best chance to win a G1 would be a race like the Arlington Million but he has not won when travelling abroad in France or Canada..(Started Fav in some of those races). He also needs ground which is not firm which will not suit him Sunday.

Dermot Weld may be seeing this as a good opportunity to come second in a G1 behind SYT which may not look bad in years to come. With the talent in the older division this year he will have a hard time winnng at G1 level unless he travels.

Looks like Ryan Moore will be riding SYT, was to have been riding Presvis in Singapore on Sunday, but has switched to the Curragh. Very strange, what happens when Workforce and SYT meet up, probably at Ascot?

Moore's retained by Sir Michael isn't he?

Either way I doubt Ryan would be getting off Workforce whatever SYT does this weekend.

Moore will ride Workforce - He is still Stoute's retained jockey. He's not retained by Cumani though and to be fair, it's a shorter trip for a long odds on favourite, I know what I would do!!!

I'm more surprised at him being asked than him accepting. Who will ride SYT if both turn up in the Prince of Wales?

Soumillion? It's surprising, considering they evidently like him riding for them in Britain and France, that they don't get him to ride in place of Moore as he will be claimed by Stoute more often than not in the Group 1s from June.

Couldn't agree more. Famous Name is one of the most consistent horses you will ever see so is very easy to understand his level.

That's just it though. He's running to a consistent level in Group 3s that would win him some Group 1s.

Perhaps they have decided Workforce is a mile and a half horse pure and simple and it won't do him much good to try and make him into a 10f animal and therefore a clash with SYT at Ascot is unlikely.

Famous Name ran in this race 2 years ago, in a very weak renewal and was stuffed 5 and a half lengths by Casual Conquest. Heavy ground may not have suited but with Lush Lashes, Moiqen and Thewayyoure in behind, that was some opportunity to win a Group 1.

Famous Name ran in this race 2 years ago, in a very weak renewal and was stuffed 5 and a half lengths by Casual Conquest. Heavy ground may not have suited but with Lush Lashes, Moiqen and Thewayyoure in behind, that was some opportunity to win a Group 1.

The ground is key to Famous Name - this is his big big target for the year - SYT has bigger fish to fry later in the season so he just maybe not be at concert pitch on Sunday. He beat statues the last day. FN did not operate on the ground behind CC who relished it. In fairness, to him he beat what was behind him whether they be Lush Lashes or whoever so I don't really get your point there.

To me he's a bet at 7/2.

Back